Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
GM Reimbursement for faulty purge...

So I got a notice yesterday in the ol mailbox.
GM Reimbursement for faulty purge solenoid for my model year and VIN.

Apparently, the solenoid could stop working and cause too much fuel vapor into combustion chamber from fuel tank.

GM says they will cover the valve's replacement IF it goes out for up to 10 y\120k .

Wondering if my K&N CAI would negate that offer it one goes out?
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I wouldn't deny that if it comes into my shop with any modification, no matter how crazy. I've changed a lot of GM purge valves over my time in the shop.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I wouldn't deny that if it comes into my shop with any modification, no matter how crazy. I've changed a lot of GM purge valves over my time in the shop.
So you are a GM technician for a dealership, right?
Do they leave any of those type of decisions up to you or is that more for management/GM corporate? I would imagine a blown engine claim would have to run through corporate investigations, but maybe the smaller things like voiding someone for a catch can or cold air...who makes the call?

I guess I am just curious who it is that is responsible for making the decision to void warranties for GM.

Sorry for sounding so naive, I just have no idea how this works. Knowing you from the forums and your passion for this type of skill/hobby versus a bean counter for corporate just trying to save the company some pennies.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
So you are a GM technician for a dealership, right?
Do they leave any of those type of decisions up to you or is that more for management/GM corporate? I would imagine a blown engine claim would have to run through corporate investigations, but maybe the smaller things like voiding someone for a catch can or cold air...who makes the call?

I guess I am just curious who it is that is responsible for making the decision to void warranties for GM.

Sorry for sounding so naive, I just have no idea how this works. Knowing you from the forums and your passion for this type of skill/hobby versus a bean counter for corporate just trying to save the company some pennies.
Technicians have ZERO ability to void or block a warranty. However I make the initial decision during diagnosis as to the causal part of failure. If I can prove the modified part is the causal part of failure I notify the service manager and they escalate it to the district manager (who works for GM not the dealership) for blocking or voiding the warranty. GM does have the option of investigating or denying a claim after the repair is done and they receive the failed parts. In that circumstance the dealership would be charged back for the repair. I have worked on quite a few modified vehicles, from crazy to mild. I have not suggested one vehicle have a blocked warranty. However, I have denied warranty work on modified vehicles before. Those warranty denials were simply me not making GM pay for new ball joints or hubs, or whatever steering/suspension part on a truck the customer lifted 8". To void/block a warranty I have to be able to prove the modification caused the damage. Only way I would suggest it be voided on an intake or catch can is if I had to open the engine and noticed it had basically been sand blasted from junk going through the filter. I'm not out to crash the party, but I won't let shady stuff into the party.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
thanks, Jer!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Technicians have ZERO ability to void or block a warranty. However I make the initial decision during diagnosis as to the causal part of failure. If I can prove the modified part is the causal part of failure I notify the service manager and they escalate it to the district manager (who works for GM not the dealership) for blocking or voiding the warranty. GM does have the option of investigating or denying a claim after the repair is done and they receive the failed parts. In that circumstance the dealership would be charged back for the repair. I have worked on quite a few modified vehicles, from crazy to mild. I have not suggested one vehicle have a blocked warranty. However, I have denied warranty work on modified vehicles before. Those warranty denials were simply me not making GM pay for new ball joints or hubs, or whatever steering/suspension part on a truck the customer lifted 8". To void/block a warranty I have to be able to prove the modification caused the damage. Only way I would suggest it be voided on an intake or catch can is if I had to open the engine and noticed it had basically been sand blasted from junk going through the filter. I'm not out to crash the party, but I won't let shady stuff into the party.
this is the same with my dealership when I lived in Florida. I took it in for warranty work on things not related to my mods and not once did they ever have an issue.
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
JerTM

The only time I have issues with mods are when it affects the diagnostic. The owners little brother bought a Sierra that had been supercharged, headers, the works. When the CEL came on a few months later he brought it in to me for diag. It was a Lambda code (air/fuel ratio). I laughed at him and told him to take it to where his buddy had it tuned cause there is no way a GM diagnostic was going to lead to a correction of that properly.