Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
Question Did I Permanently mess up my AFR?

Long story short, I didn't know that you couldn't just extend the o2 sensor wires using solder. I did this and now I have a P0030 (HO2S Healer Control Circuit Conditions) & for B2AAA code. I replaced the crimp connectors that I used temporarily before the extend the wires with solder.

Now when I drive it my short term fuel trim on that bank stays in the high 20's!

The biggest problem is that I extended the wires coming from the car instead of the wires coming from the o2 sensor... Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this

BTW: Lesson learned, just buy the extenders!

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
You answered your own question...your extender wires combined with soldering f'd the resistance in the wire so readings will never be right..replace and good luck...
Old 09-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
You answered your own question...your extender wires combined with soldering f'd the resistance in the wire so readings will never be right..replace and good luck...
Yeah now I'm actually getting a higher voltage than I'm supposed to get I'm getting .64 volts from the bank 1 sensor. I don't know where to replace it from. Even if I replace it back by the ECU there's no way at least that I know that I can avoid using solder now

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I would just redo those connections on that side. Get some good bare crimp connections. Crimp good, and solder that joint real good. Making sure it's not a cold solder. Heat the crimp up until the solder flows into it. Then heat shrink over it.

I would think a splice joint done right should be fine. Could also swap O2 sides to see if the problem follows the O2.

A good crimped and soldered joint should add next to no resistance to the circuit. And those circuits have several connections...so they are not perfect to begin with.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I would just redo those connections on that side. Get some good bare crimp connections. Crimp good, and solder that joint real good. Making sure it's not a cold solder. Heat the crimp up until the solder flows into it. Then heat shrink over it.

I would think a splice joint done right should be fine. Could also swap O2 sides to see if the problem follows the O2.

A good crimped and soldered joint should add next to no resistance to the circuit. And those circuits have several connections...so they are not perfect to begin with.
I ended finding out it was the o2 fuse that blew which probably happened when I was soldering the wires. Seems to run fine now. My fuel trims are where they should be and it's going into closed loop again.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #6
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Good catch!

Tags
air, fuel, headers, ratio, tune