Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
I just got mine back from having the new enhancements done.

Not good. Still getting the rub marks, and still getting the headliner "bracket" poking a hole in my top.

The tape is not going to eliminate the rub marks. I put a white sav on my top in that area, then ran it down and back up to see what is hitting where. The metal bracket where they put the tape is pinching the top. It's like putting on a pair of boots that is 3 sizes too small, then expecting a pair of socks to fix the problem of your foot being crushed.

The headliner bracket that they trim is what is poking the hole in the top between the aforementioned rub marks. Last night I trimmed the bracket on both sides of the headliner all the way up to the bottom screw. Did it being very careful with a dremel. I also removed the front lip from the plastic end of bow 2 to allow more room for the headliner bracket. Tried the top down and up again, and now it just barely touches the top, not going to poke a hole in it. Tonight I am going to try to move the bottom screw up to almost the top screw, then trim more of the bracket so it won't touch the top at all.

It is very sad that GM hasn't redesigned the headliner bracket and the metal top bracket that they put the tape on. I might try to come up with something myself for mounting the headliner right there. I am 100% sure my top won't rub a hole in the near future and after I move the lower screw up and remove more of the plastic I'm sure it never will, but I still might try to make a new plastic headliner mount that better fits, because there isn't much left after all the grinding that is needed for it to clear the top without holing it. Also, I am considering grinding some material off of the metal bracket to keep it from crushing the top but I'm afraid that will weaken that support too much.

As a side note, I also had 2 sharp edges that were nearly poking a hole in my headliner when my top is up. They were right above the front side windows on each side, kind of right above your ear if you were sitting in the seat. Dealer did nothing about them. I put the top 1/2 down and inspected. The factory welds in the metal top rail right there had a point on them. I dremeled them off, and now all is fine. I have to touch up paint that when I get time but it fixed that issue.

I'll get some pics taken when I get the screw moved and more ground off, but time is tight for me right now. It pisses me off that I have a $44,000 car that I have to work on myself. Love the car other than the top issues. I am also afraid I am getting the bent 5th bow, as there are a couple wrinkles in the top right where it meets the 1/4 area behind the doors. I mentioned and showed this to the dealer but they didn't address it. Maybe this is normal on these cars, I'll have to research pictures of others to see.

I hope they don't try to void my top warranty because I did some work myself but they should be fully aware that their fix isn't working and I likely saved them the expense of a new ragtop or 2 on my car.

I'll put this post in the top satisfaction thread too, so people there can read it. I'll also vote in the top poll now. Anyone care to venture a guess as to what my vote will be?
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
Brought mine in last night. They told me they subbed the top replacement out to a custom shop. I've had some work done by this place on other vehicles and they are the best around. Keeping my fingers crossed and I hope everything looks good when I get her back.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #17
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodj View Post
Brought mine in last night. They told me they subbed the top replacement out to a custom shop. I've had some work done by this place on other vehicles and they are the best around. Keeping my fingers crossed and I hope everything looks good when I get her back.
Good luck!!
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
decepticon-vert

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT Convertible
Send a message via Yahoo to decepticon-vert
Got mine done at MarkCrhistopher Chevy in Ontario, CA. They kept car one day. I asked service guy who I have dealt with on proir vehicles and asked them how many have they fixed and he said mine was the 3rd vert in for this issue. He said they are taking extra time to do this to make sure its done correct and not have returns. Makes sence since they are one of the biggest Chevy dealer around. I have always had positive experiances in past. So far top is less noisy than before, but have not had a chance to drop it. However, I was not experiancing tears, rub marks, wrinkles or loud wind noise. I took it in as pre-caution since it was requested by GM. If something diff happens I will post it.. Otherwise Im happy with my vert
Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
kirstie4422

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 1LT RS
Had the new top fixes done yesterday at Gilroy chevy in CA. They have been great, documented what i asked to be, had head mechanic work on my car. Looks like they did a good job, car was washed. They didn't know about the tsb but when I told them about it they looked it up no problems. I am so far the first and only vert serviced there, but they have been great. Time will tell if the tsb will keep the rub marks away.
kirstie4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #20
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddied View Post
I hear there is a new TSB out it's 12052A.
Does anyone know what was added?
Got that information directly from my Rep's supervisor. It was brought on line on the 17th of April. I need to go back to have it completed. As far as the content, in my discussion with her, she described pretty much everything I thought the original 12052 TSB did. But she assured me that it superceded the original.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #21
ZZTop-leSS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6 - Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I had my 'enhancements ' done yesterday at Rodger's Chevrolet, but I haven't had it back long enough to jusdge anything.
Let me know how things progress. I'm taking mine into Rodgers for the "enhancements" and for the 5th bow replacment... if the weather ever cooperates. I've already had to cancel my appointment twice because of the rain - partly because I'm not sure how the car will handle all that rain with the big old gap between the rear deck lid and the top since the 5th bow is toast, but also because I really don't want to drive my car in the rain if I don't have to. The service manager was totally cool about it and told me to just bring it in when I can, but I'll need to call to make sure they have a loaner car available for me.
ZZTop-leSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #22
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
Got mine back this morning. Looks good right now and they did install the tape. We'll see how it goes. I have to reapply the 303. Lucky I had bought some for my new Mustang but haven't used it yet. The Mustang will just have to wait.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #23
Tom_T

Drives: 2013 Convertible /2SS/RS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodj View Post
Got mine back this morning. Looks good right now and they did install the tape. We'll see how it goes. I have to reapply the 303. Lucky I had bought some for my new Mustang but haven't used it yet. The Mustang will just have to wait.
Glad to hear. Mine goes in tomorrow morning for the top replacement and to say I'm a little nervous is an understatement. Knowing someone elses has gone well helps.
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #24
skupe

Drives: 2012 Summit White Vert - Beige Top
Had my enhancements made last week at Mirak Chevy in Arlington, MA. They told me it was the first one they'd done, and it took a couple of hours, but they said that they wanted to make sure it was done right. I didn't have any real problems before, but the top's been up and down a few times since and seems just fine. Haven't had it on the highway to see if the (minimal) wind noise I had at the rear windows has been ameliorated.
skupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #25
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Well, after having my top up and down a few times since I had the 'enhancements' done, I can report that the passenger side issues seem to be gone, however on the driver's side the rub marks are still there and it appears to be fraying out the top on the right hand rub mark. I will be calling my dealer back in the near future to tell them that I will expect this to be made right, even if it involves a new top. I am hesitant to do a new top however, because there is nothing else wrong.....no bad wind noise, no water leaks, etc.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #26
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Mine was built on 4/4/12 and the dealer did the fixes before I even took delivery. And the fixes were already supposed to be in the car from the factory. The headliner bracket was left alone but the tape was applied. 550 miles and top down 11 times. Still looks good after 3 weeks
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #27
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I get my roof "enhanced" next week at the largest Chevy dealer in the area. I hope that they don't make things worse since I don't have a leak yet, even though there is some evidence of rubbing. The only upside I see aside from further damage being prevented is that I get to look at new SS' and possibly a new ZL-1 when I visit the dealership.

Last edited by Fnfalguy; 05-08-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #28
Maxcam

Drives: RY/2LT/RS 'Vert
Got mine back yesterday from Good Chev in Renton, WA. He went in for the enhancement but came out with a new top also. So far so good, I have cycled it several times and can't see the top coming anywhere close to where the pinch point used to be. The tape seems "tacky" (not in the sticky way) and doesn't look like it will last there very long.
He also got the trunk seal replaced since the wire harness had rubbed it off. Rear window trim had come off, and couldn't be reseated so they replaced it, and the two rear windows were making a horrible noise, they have ordered new regulators to be replaced next week.
All in all, very pleased with Good Chev, they seem to care about theirs and the GM reputation.