Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #15
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobamamalik View Post
How many different types of transmissions do motorcycles have?

Just as with cars, through the years there have been many different types from your basic manual shift versions to auto's, electronic shift, air shifted and everything in between
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #16
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
I still wonder why u wanna shift while turning in the first place?? As far as i know that would upset the car in the turn and might cause someone to lose control. Dont most autocrossers/racetrack drivers shift before a turn then after a turn??
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #17
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
I still wonder why u wanna shift while turning in the first place?? As far as i know that would upset the car in the turn and might cause someone to lose control. Dont most autocrossers/racetrack drivers shift before a turn then after a turn??
That is more so in a manual car as when shifting you load and unload the drive train. In an auto as set up from the factory the car shifts at appropriate speeds and rpm's, cornering does not play into the equation at all so why should it when shifting an auto manually. This is an advantage the auto has over a manual.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #18
wrmiller19

Drives: 2011 SS/RS orange w/black stripes
Have not do so with this car (yet) but when I drive a car on a race track I downshift prior to corner entry, and after the corner apex during track out. This is with a manual or SMG (manual w/computerized shifting). Given this trans (A6) does a pretty good job of rev-matching during downshifting, I would/will drive it the same way.

If you need to shift mid-corner, you selected the wrong gear going in...
wrmiller19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
Has anyone tried modifying a tiptronic type shifter to use instead of the paddles????

The paddles are a PITA if you are trying to steer the car.
I don't mean to state the obvious here but ... if you're trying to steer, isn't it better to keep both hands on the wheel rather than reach down to the shifter?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I don't mean to state the obvious here but ... if you're trying to steer, isn't it better to keep both hands on the wheel rather than reach down to the shifter?
That would sure make driving a manual difficult.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
That would sure make driving a manual difficult.
I know it can be done, I'm wondering why you'd want to do it that way though. Personally, I like to keep my hands on the wheel while turning the car. Whatever inconvenience there is in using the paddles, it would have to be more inconvenient to let go of the wheel & use the shifter.

I mean: flick of the finger vs movement of the entire arm ... which one is easier to do while thinking of something else (like pointing the car where you want it to go)?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #22
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Ive been driving a manual car for the last 15 years practically (turbo charged awd eclipse, supercharged V8 BMW (still have) a mustang, etc), and i don't need 2 hands to steer a car where i want to.

once you start turning the wheel, button locations start to get fuzzy, i have more important things to do than look down at the steering wheel to figure it out.

why did i buy an auto then? autos shift faster, dont have a clutch, they dont get hard to shift when its cold and grind your sinchronizers out, and most of all, if i dont feel like or im unable to drive, my wife could still get us home. also, a shifter like the one im drooling over completely eliminate the need for a manual.
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #23
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

I ordered the one from the first picture just now...(its out of an 09 pontiac G6, go figure).

Ill keep you guys posted if i can get it to a)fit and b)work.
taking into account the 550 people who looked at this post today, id say there is interest.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #24
saahilrtrivedi
VICTORY 11

Drives: 2011 Black 2LTRS with OrangeStripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
I ordered the one from the first picture just now...(its out of an 09 pontiac G6, go figure).

Ill keep you guys posted if i can get it to a)fit and b)work.
taking into account the 550 people who looked at this post today, id say there is interest.
If you can get this done I would be so happy.
saahilrtrivedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #25
gotexas25
Camaroholic

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by saahilrtrivedi View Post
If you can get this done I would be so happy.
+1 But this threads been dead for almost 2 months...not good :(
gotexas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #26
saahilrtrivedi
VICTORY 11

Drives: 2011 Black 2LTRS with OrangeStripes
I PMed him. He's still working on it. He said that it'll take another month.
saahilrtrivedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #27
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Im working on it, have a stock camaro and g8 style tiptronic shifter. i just need time to engineer and make a working unit now. luckily, i run a machine shop, so i have the equipment i need at my disposal to make it happen. im thinking i should have something in about a month.

cfd is right on the g8 shifter, the g8 unit can not be made to work in the camaro. it is too bulky and can not be trimmed down. the bulk of the unit will be custom, using only a few (modified) parts from the original camaro shifter.

ill keep this thread updated, i just havent done too much with it because im short on time lately.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #28
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Its going to be hitting a cnc mill this week!

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD