Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-13-2014, 03:25 AM   #1
damian559

Drives: 2015 1SS, 1LE, Recaro, NPP
Performance/cosmetic mods

So, I have my 2015 1SS 1LE with Recaros and NPP on order but the wait is killing me. I need to start buying some parts to cope with the waiting. I'm already getting the CAI black powdercoated intake and skip shift eliminator, but was wondering what else I could add for performance without voiding the warranty. I was thinking of possibly adding the VMAX Spiral Ported Throttle Body, is it worth it? I live only 10 miles away from Whipple, so let's how long it last before I get one of those. Cosmetically I think I just want to do tint and black out the bowties, anything else you guys do to yours? Let me hear back from you, so I can get ideas for mine.
Thanks.
damian559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
DefiantXSoldier

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS/1LE NPP Recaros
Performance/cosmetic mods

My recommendations for you, as I will be doing the same.

Clutch reservoir
Replace your yaw sensor with one from an automatic Camaro (to get rid of the HSA nanny)
ZL1 splash guards
Clear Bra

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DefiantXSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:30 AM   #3
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Catch can for sure. I had a good experience with RX. Elites are very popular on this forum. I'd get the larger Elite2 if going that direction. Since you're interested in appearance, Rx is the only one to my knowleedge that includes a custom color paint match to GM colors. I got both the CC and separator in my Summit White body color and they really stand out under the hood.

Definitely go with the ported TB. Very easy to install, especially if done when installing your CAI. You'll have to wait until you get your car though, because you'll have to pay a core charge that is refunded once you return your OE part.

If you plan on leaving Fresno in winter, you will need a second set of tires. Since I live in the snow belt, I went ahead and got a complete wheel/tire/TPMS package from Tire Rack. I chose UPH A/S tires, not only for light snow but also to spare those soft summers from highway miles during summer road trips. I really like being completely independent of the tire shop. I don't have 1LE but I've read a number of threads where people have messed up the balance of the car by attempting to change the carefully calibrated setup. Stick with OE tires sizes, at least until you understand what direction you need to take the car after driving it for a while.

Gills-this is one of the least expensive and easiest DIY mods. The monolithic side can use a touch of contrasting color.

If you read through my journal below, you will find the long drawn out (and expensive) process I had. Hopefully, that will help you, not only with info but to pass the time.

Last edited by Indydriver; 05-13-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:17 AM   #4
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Mild2wild switch
Big worm taillight tint
Gill inserts
ZL1 splash guards are a must

I hear that the Vmax ported TB is very worth it. Gives a feel like the car is faster but paired with a CAI gives the car a lot better throttle response.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
damian559

Drives: 2015 1SS, 1LE, Recaro, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Catch can for sure. I had a good experience with RX. Elites are very popular on this forum. I'd get the larger Elite2 if going that direction. Since you're interested in appearance, Rx is the only one to my knowleedge that includes a custom color paint match to GM colors. I got both the CC and separator in my Summit White body color and they really stand out under the hood.
I always hear about the catch can, but don't know exactly what it does? Could you explain how it works to me.
damian559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian559 View Post
I always hear about the catch can, but don't know exactly what it does? Could you explain how it works to me.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284219
Old 05-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian559 View Post
Check the tech tips on RevExtreme's website. In simple terms, the crankcase needs to be ventilated. On the LS3, GM does this by connecting a hose to the intake tract. The problem is, the vapors being ventilated are loaded with oily crap. I guess GM figures your combustion chambers make good incinerators. I like mine clean. So the catch can routes these vapors through a condensor taking most of the oil out of the fumes before returning it to the intake. It's simply a filtering system for the PCV.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
A lot of people say to do the clutch reservoir but check out the question by X25 in this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...servoir&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
One issue I see with this mod is that the clutch fluid reservoir is now tiny, so the clutch fluid will get overwhelmingly dirty (just like what happens to C5/C6 Corvettes) in no time. The fluid slowly backfeeds into the reservoir (which is why we pump the pedal to clean the system), so that very dark fluid is everywhere in the clutch system now. When that happens, the clutch pedal will start to 'stick' to the floor, which can even get downright dangerous. It happened to me back when I owned a C5 Corvette Z06.

Yes, I don't want to contaminate the brake system's fluid with the nasty clutch fluid, but I think it would be much better if we use a much bigger reservoir. The Corvettes have pretty much the same system with that little reservoir, and any Corvette owner who actually drives his/her car knows that it needs to be cleaned-up at least once every time you get gas (so called Ranger method) to keep it running flawlessly.

Any chance you guys could come up with a (much) bigger reservoir for the clutch fluid? This way, I'd know that the clutch will not fail during a weekend of an HPDE event
I thought it was an excellent point/question that never got answered. I have read folks saying they swap the fluid almost every time they get gas, which sounds like a pain to me.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

Drives: '13 2SS/RS 1LE BRM NPP CF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantXSoldier View Post
My recommendations for you, as I will be doing the same.

Clutch reservoir
Replace your yaw sensor with one from an automatic Camaro (to get rid of the HSA nanny)
ZL1 splash guards
Clear Bra

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1 !!
Plus Rapid Fire Tail Lights!
Definitely put Xpel on all forward facing surfaces!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Check the tech tips on RevExtreme's website. In simple terms, the crankcase needs to be ventilated. On the LS3, GM does this by connecting a hose to the intake tract. The problem is, the vapors being ventilated are loaded with oily crap. I guess GM figures your combustion chambers make good incinerators. I like mine clean. So the catch can routes these vapors through a condensor taking most of the oil out of the fumes before returning it to the intake. It's simply a filtering system for the PCV.

1st mod I did was the elite catch can. Please don't laugh, but the oil in the catch can, should I add it back into the engine. Looks clean and fresh( just did an oil change 400 miles ago)
LT1Zob is offline   Reply With Quote