Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 12-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #1
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Some advice please

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of restoring a third gen IROC as a father son project. It was my dream car as teen and although I have a 2014 Z/28, I still think the Gen 3 is one cool Camaro. Plus, I have nostalgic feelings for this car.

I'm shopping around for the project car and was hoping for some advice as to what to look for in potential candidates. I can do anything mechanical and interior, but have zero fabrication skills.

TIA,

Andrew
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
88 Views and nothing?
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
91 zeee

Drives: 2014 SS
I have a 1991 Z28. I'm looking for a 5th gen now. I think the 5th gen is a better car, but it could never replace my third gen. The 5th gen does everything so well it can almost get a bit boring. The third gen is rough enough around the edges that is still kinda has that old muscle car feel.
I think third gens might have already hit their lowest point and prices are starting to climb some.
They are a good platform for drag racing, road racing, autocross, and make a good Friday night cruiser too; so....it's hard to tell you what to look for without knowing what you plan to do with the car.
They can be bought relatively cheap if you don't mid doing some work. It doesn't take much to make them a lot of fun.
What do you think you will use the car for mostly?
91 zeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
You can buy a 2010 fifth gen cheap as hell now. I would buy one and murder it! I happen to be a fan of the LS3, so any car I tell you to play with 1st gen, 2nd gen yadda yadda yadda, will be followed by me saying to you, plant an LS3 in it! lol

So With the amount of parts available and the introduction of the 6th gen. Timing is perfect IMO.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
People dont seem to know why people do these things.....a fav car from your youth and an Iroc at that makes these project alot of fun.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
1KillerSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
People dont seem to know why people do these things.....a fav car from your youth and an Iroc at that makes these project alot of fun.
Couldn't agree more, my recommendation was based on my own selfish desires. I miss my 69 convertible to this day. But the 5th gen happens to be my favorite based on the tech involved in the car. So, if I was to go throwback, to an older gen Camaro, I would still use 5th gen tech. It is readily available, easy to get parts for, and there is a wealth of knowledge on it.

My first car was an 85, T-tops, man I loved that car. Then I got the 69 vert. Up until July 3 2012, It was my favorite! I am in love with the 5th gen, so also wanted to point out to the OP that they are dirt cheap, and parts are available all over for them! its not going to get any easier than that!
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
Old 12-15-2016, 08:02 PM   #7
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Couldn't agree more, my recommendation was based on my own selfish desires. I miss my 69 convertible to this day. But the 5th gen happens to be my favorite based on the tech involved in the car. So, if I was to go throwback, to an older gen Camaro, I would still use 5th gen tech. It is readily available, easy to get parts for, and there is a wealth of knowledge on it.

My first car was an 85, T-tops, man I loved that car. Then I got the 69 vert. Up until July 3 2012, It was my favorite! I am in love with the 5th gen, so also wanted to point out to the OP that they are dirt cheap, and parts are available all over for them! its not going to get any easier than that!
I get ya for sure....like you I love the 5th gen body style and wouldn't change it for the world. If I was to do a retro build I have one choice. ...69 Dodge Charger. I couldn't car less about a Challenger.....Cuda or anything else......once people have a soft spot for certain cars....nothing changes their mind. Of course I would build the Charger "after" my 5th gen lol.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Naturally if you don't want to fab anything no rust is critical. I'm not sure how the crop of cars is up in the great white north. Seeing if you can get something out of the southern US might be a better platform to start on provided transport fees are reasonable. When I went looking for mine (was in New England at the time), I wanted a car that hadn't been bastardized and had harnesses cut all willy-nilly for carb swaps and the like. So long as it was mechanically sound and the electronics were good, the rest was doable.

They're usually broken down into these groups:

82-84, 85-87, 88-90, 90-92. '85 debuted the IROC and the first year for Tuned Port Injection. 85 was also the first year a Camaro saw 200+ hp off the floor since '75. The 350 didn't debut until 87 and was only available with an automatic throughout production to 92.

They're a weak chassis (if I jack up my IROC near the front wheel, the rear doesn't go with it, vs my 5th gen the whole side comes off the ground) so look for cracking in the rear upper corners of the window, cracks in the front subframe rails where the steering box mounts. If you're going to put any power in it, plan on weld-in subframe connectors at a minimum, wonderbar, strut tower brace, etc. The GM 10-bolt will grenade at modest torque levels and the Ausi 9-Bolt is only marginally better. the 700R4 or 200C (depending on year) or T5 will also need an upgrade. The upside; there's a ton of parts for them. Being classics they may not need to comply with emissions testing depending on where you are. You can go with almost any power plant you'd like (Buick T6, SBC, LTx, LSx, BBC, etc etc). There's a lot of aftermarket support and it's really as wide open as your checkbook.

Fun cars. Drives like a truck, handles well though. Quick turn-in if using the steering box out of the IROC. Have the Hotchkis TVS set on mine and it's not too shabby at all.

Thirdgen.org has a lot of useful info, though asking questions tends to be hit or miss.

There's really tons and tons and tons more info that I can't list or flat out don't know

My old lady ('87):
Attached Images

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:14 AM   #9
1KillerSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Naturally if you don't want to fab anything no rust is critical. I'm not sure how the crop of cars is up in the great white north. Seeing if you can get something out of the southern US might be a better platform to start on provided transport fees are reasonable. When I went looking for mine (was in New England at the time), I wanted a car that hadn't been bastardized and had harnesses cut all willy-nilly for carb swaps and the like. So long as it was mechanically sound and the electronics were good, the rest was doable.

They're usually broken down into these groups:

82-84, 85-87, 88-90, 90-92. '85 debuted the IROC and the first year for Tuned Port Injection. 85 was also the first year a Camaro saw 200+ hp off the floor since '75. The 350 didn't debut until 87 and was only available with an automatic throughout production to 92.

They're a weak chassis (if I jack up my IROC near the front wheel, the rear doesn't go with it, vs my 5th gen the whole side comes off the ground) so look for cracking in the rear upper corners of the window, cracks in the front subframe rails where the steering box mounts. If you're going to put any power in it, plan on weld-in subframe connectors at a minimum, wonderbar, strut tower brace, etc. The GM 10-bolt will grenade at modest torque levels and the Ausi 9-Bolt is only marginally better. the 700R4 or 200C (depending on year) or T5 will also need an upgrade. The upside; there's a ton of parts for them. Being classics they may not need to comply with emissions testing depending on where you are. You can go with almost any power plant you'd like (Buick T6, SBC, LTx, LSx, BBC, etc etc). There's a lot of aftermarket support and it's really as wide open as your checkbook.

Fun cars. Drives like a truck, handles well though. Quick turn-in if using the steering box out of the IROC. Have the Hotchkis TVS set on mine and it's not too shabby at all.

Thirdgen.org has a lot of useful info, though asking questions tends to be hit or miss.

There's really tons and tons and tons more info that I can't list or flat out don't know

My old lady ('87):
Great information, and sweet looking ride! My first was an 85 multiport v6....I loved it though.

Build thread
Old 01-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
1991 z28 with the basket spoiler imo are real good looking, but i also like 1killerss idea, buy a cheaper car even v6/iron duke version, swap out the motor for a ls3, upgrade suspension/chassis/rear end and you will have a killer looking and performing car.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #11
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRocket View Post
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of restoring a third gen IROC as a father son project. It was my dream car as teen and although I have a 2014 Z/28, I still think the Gen 3 is one cool Camaro. Plus, I have nostalgic feelings for this car.

I'm shopping around for the project car and was hoping for some advice as to what to look for in potential candidates. I can do anything mechanical and interior, but have zero fabrication skills.

TIA,

Andrew
All about what you are looking for. Have any specific goals or requirements in mind. I would say in general you should buy the most complete/running car that you can and check for rust. Certain parts are getting hard to find for these cars. If you are not a stickler for originality most items aren't a big deal.
Any specific goals or requirements on your end?
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRocket View Post
Hey guys,

TIA,

Andrew
This would make a great father & son project that's not too complicated...

http://www.dustyoldcars.com/1989-Che...hua-NH/5715923

PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
This would make a great father & son project that's not too complicated...

http://www.dustyoldcars.com/1989-Che...hua-NH/5715923

Looking a bit crispy underneath, and that wiring looks... questionable.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #14
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
Mid-late 80's, stay away from anything with T-tops imo.
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote