Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-27-2024, 06:29 PM   #85
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Mocked up and installed the Dove Tail Spoiler.
Drilled a 5/8" hole to clear the Center Light Harness grommet.
Used the Templates I made as a guideline - got me close enough to get the studs from the Wings in w/o much hole mods, opened them a little to get them to engage. No 3m adhesive yet, just wanted to get a rough fit.
Obviously, need to elongate the Winglets holes inboard to close the gaps, as the Center Spoiler is net, you can't stretch it outboard.
Should be easy, hope this closes these gaps which are too large at this point.
Don't know where to connect the 2 wire center lamp, but will figure that out - any recommendations or was this part of the installation instructions for anyone who has one?
Attached Images

Last edited by hesster; 03-28-2024 at 06:57 AM.
hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:52 AM   #86
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Hey man, sorry I’m late getting this to you, I’ve got a couple kids playing spring sports on top of the normal business of life so I’m slammed for extra time right now. I see you got the spoiler ends installed, the whole thing looks great! I’d bet your templates probably got you as close or closer than the GM template. The latter is really not as accurate as I had hoped it would be. None the less, here’s some pictures of the install directions that came with my spoiler-they highlight the electrical steps.

Be careful with the gaps on the side pieces, they can be deceiving. On both of mine the gap is tighter at the bottom of the spoiler/deck lid as it passes by the side pieces. So you think you got a nice gap when you are adjusting it all only to find that it rubs the sides of the deck lid as it opens and closes. You’ll likely see what I mean as you are playing with them. That gap really doesn’t look bad as it is to me. Here’s a shot of where mine are.

This is one of the better shots I have of the gaps on my phone but I’ll see if I can get some more detailed photos today or tomorrow if that is helpful.
Attached Images

ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.

Last edited by Aqua Blue RS/SS; 03-28-2024 at 09:41 AM.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:58 AM   #87
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
The gap you are seeing between the winglets and the center spoiler looks normal to me. There is a pretty good 1/4" gap atleast on everyone I have seen.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:11 AM   #88
hesster

Thanks AB and TBEM - you guys are awesome and this is why the Forum is so useful.

I plan on removing the parts, then add the 3M tape, but leaving the film on the outside so it only acts like a cushion, then reinstalling.

Before that I will grind out the Winglet Holes a little more to close the gaps as much as possible.

Intuition told me that I needed to find the CHMSL Harness and tap into it, and found the connector and wiring schematic from the GM Manual in the forum. AB - the instructions certainly help, as none of this is on the forum or the Web.

Then tomorrow I and my friend will mount the Rear Fascia. I am thinking the fit may pose some challenges, as the instructions did not call out removing the Fascia Retaining Brackets by drilling out the Bracket's Pop Rivits on the OEM Fascia and then installing these Brackets to the New Fascia. These are what the RED retention plungers engage into. It also needed to be trimmed to clear the New Stop Lamp housings. I just could not see how the Bumper to Rr Qtr interface would work without doing this, nothing is there to retain the New Fascia - I will find out and perservere as always. Note the Bracket and Red Plungers in the Pics, and the crazy Tie Strap thing in the instructions. Whatever - it is "Kit" afterall.

And - on a side note, went back to my Bro's house Monday since he was pleading with me to get his 6-71 Blown SBC running. As I said, I suspected low battery voltage was the culprit, as the MSD must have 12+V to work properly. I was correct on that one, the car fired, we all changed our shorts, then I set the idle, timing adjusted to 12 deg BTDC, and all in 32 deg @ 2400 RPM. Runs like a champ. In the Pic, that is my Brother and friend Jim getting puckered before we fired this beast. That SOB is plain naaaaaaasssssty, and my Bro couldn't be happier.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2024, 11:44 AM   #89
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Here are some pictures of mine for reference. I just noticed that my driver side winglet is a tad bit crooked.
Attached Images

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:53 PM   #90
hesster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
Here are some pictures of mine for reference. I just noticed that my driver side winglet is a tad bit crooked.
Thanks TBEM for the Pics as reference.

There is gonna be somewhat of a gap no matter what, as the center section is shorter than the Deck Lid itself, and you can only move the Winglets in so far before the Deck Lid hits them when opening/closing.

I installed the 3M tape with the help of my Bird "Toot Toot".

I elongated the holes big time, and this allowed me to really slide the Winglets in toward the center section. So I adjusted them until the Deck Lid interfered during opening/closing, then backed them away a bit.
Looks much better, and real pleased with it.

There was no way I was gonna settle for just "it's good", as this is worthy of whatever it took to make it right given it was a generously donated piece for this Build.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2024, 01:07 PM   #91
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Always Glad to help, sorry it took me longer than I had hoped.

Nice work. Those gaps are pretty much the same as mine. As close I could get them with out rubbing. Love how this thing has taken shape. Really bad ass work!
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:38 PM   #92
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Very nice work indeed! I noticed the pretty bird on the chair, is that your assistant lol!
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:59 PM   #93
hesster

Thanks Guys!
Today was a battle to get the Rear Fascia on and gapped.

A solid 6 hour battle, and plenty of problem solving, which was not at all in the instructions, Again - it is a Kit, you want it nice, then work it until it is impressive for fit and finish.

This will be a 2 part entry, as lots of Pics.

Ok - for the process. On and off prob 20 times. The Tie strap thing became necessary to address the bulges at the Quarter Paner Interfaces. Prob understand why they did not call out to reuse the Brackets attached to the Fascia, cause much grinding for clearance was necessary. But in the end, it allowed positive retention by engaging the Red Bullets, this holds the Fascia securely to the end of the car.

Note the Tie Strap solution to pull the Fascia buldge inboard to get it flushed out to the Quarter Panel. This took hours to solve, and much grinding on brackets. We realized by drilling 3/8" holes through the Rear Quarter you could get a straight shot pulling on the Tie Straps. This is NOT what the instructions called out for, but I did not see their method working well after trying numerous times. Know when to move on to "Plan B".

We added a bolt and Washers/Nuts to secure the Tie Straps to when pulling them tight. This worked nicely.

Next Post is the finished product.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2024, 06:15 PM   #94
hesster

Part 2.

After Tweaking the Tips of the Fascia to the Quarter, installing all the Inner Wheel Liner Panel Fasteners, and pulling the Buldges out at the interfaces, it fits quite well.

The Gaps are pretty darn good for a Aluminum Tooling Processed Rim Moulding Fascia, fitting to stock Metal Quarter Panel, given all the massaging we had to do.

The car is close to being ready for tear down, logging shims and tweaks, and then building stands to support the parts for painting.

The Rear Fascia coupled with the Dove Tail from SSE 4 2SS is stunning.

I think the full Body Shot Pics says it all.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2024, 06:28 PM   #95
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Impressive work and effort on this project.

What are you doing for the holes in the trunk lid?
Old 03-29-2024, 06:34 PM   #96
hesster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post
Impressive work and effort on this project.

What are you doing for the holes in the trunk lid?
No need to install the B/U Lamps, ROD plugs, Lamp Harness, or License Plate Lamp since this was a fittment session, and teardown and painting to follow.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:37 PM   #97
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
I meant the holes where the bowtie (trunk lid) was. What are you putting there?
Old 03-29-2024, 06:59 PM   #98
hesster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post
I meant the holes where the bowtie (trunk lid) was. What are you putting there?
Ahhh - either Plug them, or maybe a "Trans Am" Decal would cover them after plugging them somewhat.

I found a really cool custom wrap outfit on the Web, they have Custom Birds and I am liking this one.
Attached Images