Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
sdmaro

Drives: 2011 LS Camaro
Strut dilemma

Recently noticed the clunking/popping noise on the front driver side... Had springs installed 2 years ago and the noise came up a couple weeks ago. Alignment shop say the strut mounts are too tight and need to be replaced. In that replacement, he said its probably time and worth the labor to look into strut replacements. I'm at 50k, no track days, v6, just some spirited driving. I am thinking to replace the strut mounts and keep the OEM struts until I can get my hands on some coilovers. Any advice for popping noise, replace struts or wait for coils?

Suspension: BC BR Coilovers

Cosmetics: ZL1 front conversion, AAC plasma afterburners 2.0, GFX rear,

Interior: AAC red footwells, ZL1 shifter boot/knob, suede center console
sdmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
When I was at 75,000 miles I started to consider strut replacement. The total cost was around $650 to get it done. At the time a vendor had a sale for Megan coilovers for $799. I decided to pay the extra and upgrade to the coilovers. How much are they charging you for the work?
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ

Last edited by Dizzy82; 08-01-2016 at 07:58 PM. Reason: corrected pricing
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
Bobs of FL

Drives: 2010 2SS Black/IOM
Currently going through this headache.

At about 73,000 miles and the car has been lowered for about 40,000 of those miles. OEM struts were finally going so I decided to shop around.

Don't cheap out on struts from some online place.

I bought generic struts/strut mounts from rockauto to save a total of $40. Paid ~$200 to get them installed (no garage or place to jack up the camaro and work on it).

Now I have an obnoxious noise whenever I turn my steering wheel at low speeds and a clunk noise whenever I go over bumps or small ants. Noise sounds like it's coming from the strut mount.

Now I'm in the process of buying OEM struts/strut mount and just biting the cash bullet and chalking this up to a learning experience of: Don't cheap out on auto parts.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
The Popping could be your Strut!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmaro View Post
Recently noticed the clunking/popping noise on the front driver side... Had springs installed 2 years ago and the noise came up a couple weeks ago. Alignment shop say the strut mounts are too tight and need to be replaced. In that replacement, he said its probably time and worth the labor to look into strut replacements. I'm at 50k, no track days, v6, just some spirited driving. I am thinking to replace the strut mounts and keep the OEM struts until I can get my hands on some coilovers. Any advice for popping noise, replace struts or wait for coils?

Let's slow down and figure this out. What does 'the strut mounts are too tight' mean?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #6
sdmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

Let's slow down and figure this out. What does 'the strut mounts are too tight' mean?
That was the phrase he used basically describing the the strut is attempting to rotate but the strut mount is prohibiting it from rotating freely so his guess was the strut mount. You can hear it when turning the wheel and i'm static (not moving). I appreciate the help, but I went with a set of coilovers... Figured it would he worth the money and labor over the long term.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
sdmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
When I was at 75,000 miles I started to consider strut replacement. The total cost was around $650 to get it done. At the time a vendor had a sale for Megan coilovers for $799. I decided to pay the extra and upgrade to the coilovers. How much are they charging you for the work?
$85 an hour and i assume it would take them 2-3 hours