Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-12-2015, 08:16 AM   #29
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Not getting the "large RPM" thing still.. If you have to shift into 3rd gear at 90 and same thing goes for a Z28, how does it really have an advantage? Because it has to spin at a higher RPM to make similar power? Sorry, not getting it.

I'm throwing numbers out as I don't know the shift points of either cars..
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #30
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Let's all not forget the SS has run flat tires, which while not bad, are far from being great performance tires. With stickier rubber, acceleration and handling numbers would improve on it's already impressive numbers...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #31
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Guys like you drive me nuts. No objectivity.

Yes. I have seen the Z/28 lap times.

The GT350R is faster in a straight line than the Z28.

I don't see any times for the Z28 anywhere run at that same track. What we do know is - if you actually bothered to read the article, which you clearly didn't - the GT350R WON THE CONTEST and was named Road and Track Performance Car of 2016. It beat the Porsche and Mercedes, and crushed the ATS-V and Bentley. The ATS-V was lackluster to say the least, and in theory, it's faster than the 2016 Camaro SS. While the Viper, Z06 and Ferrari were outright faster, because the Mustang was so much easier to drive and control, the average person would be able to turn times much better than the other three due to its driving ease - pair that with the fact it's about the most affordable of all the cars tested, it stole the title.

We don't have "official" Nurburgring times yet, but the unofficial word is that it's faster than the Z28. Since it is faster in a straight line, lighter and has a motor more geared for a track with a dramatically large RPM range to run in, I would expect it to be, frankly.

So, I don't exactly get your point. The GT350R won R&T's contest, appears to be faster than the Z28 in both a straight line and around the track, and you're saying what exactly? It's behind Chevy, even though it's faster than Chevy? Or are you just cheerleading?
Clearly you believe in everything you read on the net and in a auto mag article this is biased from the start against American muscle cars....

I've seen most these cars at the track at one time or another (not the GT350R yet) and I tell you the real world results are much different than what is stated in this article you claim is gospel.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #32
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Clearly you believe in everything you read on the net and in a auto mag article this is biased from the start against American muscle cars....

I've seen most these cars at the track at one time or another (not the GT350R yet) and I tell you the real world results are much different than what is stated in this article you claim is gospel.
Same can be said about the Z/28...

You just invalidated your own argument, good job!
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #33
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
How about we just agree that the Z/28 and the 350R both kick ass??

Honestly, I think the two are going to be very close in track performance comparisons...the Z/28 has already proven to be basically as fast in a straight line. If the Z weighed the 150 - 200 pounds less that the 350R does, these cars would be practically identical performance, with the edge going to the 350R for various reasons.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #34
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Not getting the "large RPM" thing still.. If you have to shift into 3rd gear at 90 and same thing goes for a Z28, how does it really have an advantage? Because it has to spin at a higher RPM to make similar power? Sorry, not getting it.

I'm throwing numbers out as I don't know the shift points of either cars..
You'd have to see a good dyno graph to fully understand.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #35
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Bottom line...you don't compare SS and the GT350R on the track. I can see SS giving the base 350 a hard time for sure especially with mrc and brake package.
Exactly my point. The OP was silly.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #36
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
How about we just agree that the Z/28 and the 350R both kick ass??

Honestly, I think the two are going to be very close in track performance comparisons...the Z/28 has already proven to be basically as fast in a straight line. If the Z weighed the 150 - 200 pounds less that the 350R does, these cars would be practically identical performance, with the edge going to the 350R for various reasons.
Bottom line is who cares if the GT350 beats the Z28? IT SHOULD...Ford had years to build something better. The Z28 is technically an obsolete car that unless you find one on a lot, you can't even buy new anymore.

The SS with run flats and tuning to satisfy a larger demographic performs fantastically. Just wait to the new Z28 or ZL1 comes out...then we can talk.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #37
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post

How is it biased from the start against American muscle cars? The only American muscle car entered won.

The only one clearly biased here is you.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #38
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
The GT350R is great, but this whole hp and track time war is pointless. Every other year ford or chevy releases a new car that can beat the previous models, and the war continues again.

The new ZL1 is going to come out and then Ford is going to give the green light for the GT500 that will be able to beat the 6th Gen ZL1 in a straight line or vise versa.

My point being In the end of the day buy the car you love most. I just bought a 15 ZL1 which in perspective of the top muscle cars is the slowest. I could have got a GT500 or Hellcat but I personally love the ZL1.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #39
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Bottom line is who cares if the GT350 beats the Z28? IT SHOULD...Ford had years to build something better. The Z28 is technically an obsolete car that unless you find one on a lot, you can't even buy new anymore.

The SS with run flats and tuning to satisfy a larger demographic performs fantastically. Just wait to the new Z28 or ZL1 comes out...then we can talk.
Just FYI the GT350 was being worked on back in 2012. The Z28 was even rumored to be out yet. The Z28 was never a target for the GT350. It was the Germans. I will say GM did a good job on rushing to get the Z28 out.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #40
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDiesel420 View Post
The GT350R is great, but this whole hp and track time war is pointless. Every other year ford or chevy releases a new car that can beat the previous models, and the war continues again.

The new ZL1 is going to come out and then Ford is going to give the green light for the GT500 that will be able to beat the 6th Gen ZL1 in a straight line or vise versa.

My point being In the end of the day buy the car you love most. I just bought a 15 ZL1 which in perspective of the top muscle cars is the slowest. I could have got a GT500 or Hellcat but I personally love the ZL1.

I still have my sights set on a hellcat, even though its a giant land yacht that won't fit properly in my garage.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #41
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by khell86 View Post
Just FYI the GT350 was being worked on back in 2012. The Z28 was even rumored to be out yet. The Z28 was never a target for the GT350. It was the Germans. I will say GM did a good job on rushing to get the Z28 out.
And it's still not competing with the z/28 because they aren't being built anymore. For at least the next year it's basically in a class by itself.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #42
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
And it's still not competing with the z/28 because they aren't being built anymore. For at least the next year it's basically in a class by itself.
It has the germans to compete with. Seems to do a good job.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote