Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-08-2023, 01:59 PM   #1
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
SLOWLS1's 2010 2SS Build Journal

Been here a while and decided to start my build thread!

Brought her home in January 14th of 2022. Bone stock aside from Borla S-Type catback, black bowties, spoiler, and some vinyl stripes. Right at 64k on the clock and not in the best of condition. Plenty of road rash to be had.

I decided to do this build a little bit different than my previous builds. I was going to try and follow 1 rule. I always did things 2 and 3 times over because I never could think far enough ahead to know what I really want.
DO IT ONCE, DO IT RIGHT. Figure out the mod plan and follow the mod plan. So far so good minus a few small stepping stones.!

Current Mod List:

Exterior:
19x10 and 19x11 APEX ARC-8 wheels wrapped in Michelin PS4S
OEM ZL1 Front bumper
GM Heritage Grill
OEM ZL1 side rockers
OEM ZL1 rear diffuser
Tinted Side Markers and Tinted Reverse Lamps
DE badged all around
ZL1Addons Wickerbill on stock blade spoiler
Satin block trim rings on taillights

Interior:
Kenwood DMX907S
iDatalink KIT-CAM1 with RR Maestro
Frameless mirror
Dual gauge pod pillar
Banks SuperGauge and AEM wideband
Hardwired Radar Detector Install
Lloyds mats in front and trunk
SS branded door sill plates
Ice blue LED lighting in footwells and trunk

Engine:
Roto-Fab Cold Air Kit
Borla S-Type catback

Suspension and Drive-Line:
Airlift Performance 3H system 3/8"( FLO tanks and VIAIR compressors )
Baer Eradispeed 2 piece rotors
Rebuild and powdercoated calipers
Stainless steel brake lines
Hawks HPS pads
OEM 3.45 diff

Up next:
TR6060 swap, AGP twin turbos, and cam!

Thanks for looking, she's got a ways to go!

Last edited by SlowLS1; 11-08-2023 at 05:51 PM.
SlowLS1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:01 PM   #2
SlowLS1

First thing I did when getting her home was put her on jackstands. Pulled the struts, rotors, and calipers off and starting installing the Airlift kit. Installed the new rotors and brake assemblies.

Old

New

Plumbed all 4 corners for the air bags, and pulled all the cabling for the height sensors.

Mounted height sensors.

Drilled the front strut towers for the camber plates.

POR15 in the trunk area

Fabricated an electronics enclosure for the 3H system.

Added "emergency strategies" for when things don't work. Schrader valves with cut offs so that I can air the bags up if there is a system failure. 3rd compressor mounted behind battery if the other compressors fail.

Fabricated a custom mounting solution for 2 FLO air tanks with the compressors mounted to them under the rear deck.

Fabricated a custom mounting solution for the Airlift Display.

When aired out, the stock from bumper "almost" hits the floor!

Last edited by SlowLS1; 11-08-2023 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:25 PM   #3
SlowLS1

Next came ZL1 front bumper and side skirts. Heritage grill installed, and all badging is gone.
Put the stock spoiler back on and added a wickerbill.

Until I decide what I'm doing exhaust wise, No diffuser is installed. I have the diffuser waiting to go on. The Borla system is 2 big tips instead of quad tips for the diffuser I have. Once the turbos and cam are installed, I will decide if I keep the S-Type or go with something different.

Did some serious paint correction, unfortunately the car is riddled in paint chips and small defects. That all will have to wait till last. Paint will be the last major stage for her.

Last edited by SlowLS1; 11-08-2023 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:33 PM   #4
SlowLS1

Spent the summer driving her, doing minor things, and A LOT of DETAILING inside and out. But now the next stage has begun.

TR6060 swap with Tick Hydraulics and McLeod RXT.

She is put to bed and in the process of disassembly.

Pig mat and QuickJacks FTW!

Yes, that's trans fluid, was dark and to be honest was probably never changed. It sits at about 65,500 miles now
Old 11-08-2023, 03:31 PM   #5
Caveman_SS
Will Cave

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS LS3
Awesome build so far! Can't wait to see how it turns out for you. Looks like you've got a nice setup to work with in your garage.
Caveman_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 05:53 AM   #6
SlowLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman_SS View Post
Awesome build so far! Can't wait to see how it turns out for you. Looks like you've got a nice setup to work with in your garage.
Thanks

I've got more time and effort in the garage than I do the car. It's OK, just not enough space for activities.

It's the car's turn now though.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:19 AM   #7
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Looks awesome Bro...How do you like that Lift?
Old 11-09-2023, 09:58 AM   #8
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Finally a SlowLS1 build thread! Everytime I see your car posted, I always want to know more about it. Those stock brakes looked pretty cooked. Mine were in a similar state when I did my original brake upgrade. I have the same issue, I tend to do the same jobs multiple times because I can't think far enough ahead... I did eibach sport suspension on my car first, hated it and immediately bought coilovers... I must have done similar stuff on my 87 Trans am atleast 5 or 6 times... Different suspension itterations, brake setups, axle combinations... I've learned its better to just get the good stuff the first time even if it hurts the wallet a bit more.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 10:40 AM   #9
SlowLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detleg View Post
Looks awesome Bro...How do you like that Lift?
I would buy them again. Not having enough ceiling height for a normal lift, it was the next best thing I found. Only real cons being no access from sides, and storing everything when not in use can be a pain. I do wish it had more than 2 locking positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
Finally a SlowLS1 build thread! Everytime I see your car posted, I always want to know more about it. Those stock brakes looked pretty cooked. Mine were in a similar state when I did my original brake upgrade. I have the same issue, I tend to do the same jobs multiple times because I can't think far enough ahead... I did eibach sport suspension on my car first, hated it and immediately bought coilovers... I must have done similar stuff on my 87 Trans am atleast 5 or 6 times... Different suspension itterations, brake setups, axle combinations... I've learned its better to just get the good stuff the first time even if it hurts the wallet a bit more.
I have thought about this for a while but TBH, there is a lot of intimidation in this sub. I look at everyone else's car in here and most of them are well documented and very clean rides. I have not done a good job of documenting the things I have done. For example, when doing the air ride install, I didn't take many pictures or document much of what I did, and a lot of what I did is custom work. Also the condition of the car was in pretty poor shape when I got her.

That being said, I have some very big projects starting and want them to be documented, and I DO enjoy sharing will you guys and getting feedback.

And yes, it is harder on the wallet in the start, but every car I've built in the past was done 2 and 3 times over because I didn't put a lot of thought into it. More impulsive decision where made, a lot of them were mistakes. Multiple cams or headers, nitrous to blower, swaps etc... All costly but now is different times. I was more of a drag racing nut, always chasing another tenth. Building drag queens that I could drive everywhere.

The internet makes it a lot easier to research and get ideas. But mostly I have matured in how I think about it. I want this car to be an all around fun weekend car that may not do anything great, but can do all of it good enough without sacrificing the enjoyment of driving it. I made that commitment to myself with this car, and plan to stick to it.

I promise....
Old 11-10-2023, 05:48 PM   #10
SlowLS1

Auto to Manual Swap

Progress has been made.

Old L99 harness is out, 6L80 is unbolted and ready to drag out from under her.

Up next, pull the shifter and start working on pedals.
Attached Images

Last edited by SlowLS1; 11-10-2023 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 05:13 PM   #11
SlowLS1

I’m getting too old for this sh!t.

Pedal out, marking hole for clutch pedal.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2023, 05:48 PM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Totally awesome!! I like your plan too, enjoy EVERY aspect of that Camaro, and your build. I wish I would have started a build thread back when I first started, 12 years ago but I NEVER in a million years thought I would have gone as far as I did with mine!! Once you start, you can't stop!! Have fun with it, I'm sure it will be awesome when you get finished. I mean awesomer, she's already awesome..
Old 11-14-2023, 06:43 PM   #13
SlowLS1

Yea, I regret not having the sense to start one from the beginning. I would have took more pictures!
Old 11-14-2023, 10:50 PM   #14
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Can’t wait to see it come together, I’m particularly interested in the 6060 swap, I’ve contemplated this myself. I’m like you in that I do everything my self. Nice work so far, that thing has a bad ass stance.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote