Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Those who installed a solid isolator outside of warranty coverage

Trying to decide if it's worth giving up the remaining 5 years of the supercharger warranty by installing a pulley (and thus replacing the spring isolator with the solid version to avoid failure.) My concern is some failures have seem to been bearing/rotor related and not due to the isolator.

Those who have just replaced the isolator on their own, and didn't use GM warranty to replace the entire blower unit; have you had any bearing/rotor issues since? Would you preemptively replace the isolator again, or wait for it to fail and let GM replace the supercharger?
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Unless I am mistaken, they can not void your warranty unless you have a supercharger failure and it was caused by the installed part.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
My concern is some failures have seem to been bearing/rotor related and not due to the isolator.
The question I have is:

How many of those bearing failures were caused by over revving the sc (by way of a smaller pulley)?
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
Unless I am mistaken, they can not void your warranty unless you have a supercharger failure and it was caused by the installed part.
It’s a direct drivetrain mod on the SC resulting in higher revs, you would be denied, unless you have a friend at a dealer that would not flag it..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
OP - I replaced mine when it was within the factory warranty and was to able get reimbursed for it. I filled out the factory notice I received and sent it back to GM. I don't think they offer that option any more. I have 28K miles on the car and it's holding fine with no bearing or other issues. Any reputable shop will insist on replacing the isolator with a solid one. Mine was completely cracked when I took it off and it only had 12K miles at the time.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I think the bearing failures were mostly because the spring on the coupler eats into the shaft, and the metal shavings got into the bearings and ruined them eventually.
People that did the coupler replace didn't have that problem.
I would rather replace it and likely have no problems, than wait for a problem then fix it. Maybe if you were going to rackup over 100k miles on your car a renewed sc unit with new bearings would not be bad thinking at say 60 or 80k miles. I don't know how many miles the bearings are good for but guessing well over 100k miles.
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
ZL1blue

After reading a lot about the stock isolator and the obvious engineering defect, I just replaced mine! I drive a 13 ZL1. Best thing I ever did hands down because I did a lingenfelter pulley upgrade, 1050 fuel injectors, and tune. I also added eibach springs and kook headers! Been saving up. Now I feel like its a new car! It was fun before, but now it just feels like what I think a camaro should feel and sound like. It’s not my dd though. Good luck with your decision!

Tint, wheels, Michelin PSS, Kook LT headers, HF cats, 1050injectors, 5% pulley, Mcleod 1000hp clutch, 160 thermostat, spark plugs and cables, Eibach springs, hurst shifter, CAI, Anderson carbon hood, carbon rockers, front and rear carbon valence, carbon spoiler, Oracle side markers and side mirrors, stainless door kicks, carbon strut tower brace, carbon supercharger cover, southern car parts engine bay kit, seperate clutch reservoir, kenwood DDX990 4s with appple car play.
ZL1blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #8
SecondZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
Yea by increasing blower RPM’s beyond factory spec levels would definitely get coverage denied

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
The question I have is:

How many of those bearing failures were caused by over revving the sc (by way of a smaller pulley)?
True. However, I’ve read of people having issues even with the replacement units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Mine was completely cracked when I took it off and it only had 12K miles at the time.
Yea they don’t offer the reimbursement anymore. That’s exactly why I’m thinking of doing it, only 12k and shot, that’s terrible. How many miles do you have on it since replacing?
'87 GN
Old 04-03-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
SecondZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I think the bearing failures were mostly because the spring on the coupler eats into the shaft, and the metal shavings got into the bearings and ruined them eventually.
People that did the coupler replace didn't have that problem.
I would rather replace it and likely have no problems, than wait for a problem then fix it.
That’s what I’m leaning towards. I see you decided to do a lower instead of upper pulley, how come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1blue View Post
After reading a lot about the stock isolator and the obvious engineering defect, I just replaced mine! I drive a 13 ZL1. Best thing I ever did hands down because I did a lingenfelter pulley upgrade, 1050 fuel injectors, and tune.
That’s what I’m looking at, if I replace it then may as well go pulley, injectors, tune. How many miles were on your isolator? Was it trashed yet?
'87 GN
Old 04-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #10
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
For a while the warranty replacement SC had a solid isolator. Are they now back to doing the spring isolator in the new SC?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #11
DrkPhx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
Yea they don’t offer the reimbursement anymore. That’s exactly why I’m thinking of doing it, only 12k and shot, that’s terrible. How many miles do you have on it since replacing?
28K miles right now with zero issues.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Yes, They Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnice View Post
For a while the warranty replacement SC had a solid isolator. Are they now back to doing the spring isolator in the new SC?
Last Aug. I had my supercharger replaced with 10k miles on car, no problem hearing rattle noise. 2k miles later I pulled engine for rebuild / upgrade, new supercharger coupling had a spring in it, looked same as old one. I asked dealer and he checked the records it was an updated supercharger.
I replaced with a solid coupler as there was shaft wear evident from spring after 2k miles.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
Last Aug. I had my supercharger replaced with 10k miles on car, no problem hearing rattle noise. 2k miles later I pulled engine for rebuild / upgrade, new supercharger coupling had a spring in it, looked same as old one. I asked dealer and he checked the records it was an updated supercharger.
I replaced with a solid coupler as there was shaft wear evident from spring after 2k miles.
If I remember correctly, the original isolator was spring loaded, and the spring wore grooves into the shaft that worried people even though Eaton explained it was designed that way on purpose.
The next coupler (the one that originally replaced the original isolator) was a solid coupler.
Then, they redesigned the coupler, going back to a spring loaded coupler, but THIS design was grease packed.

Of course at my age, I probably have it wrong.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:53 AM   #14
DrkPhx

^^^ You're exactly right. You haven't lost your mind yet.