Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-22-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
Ch1

Drives: 19 ZLE M6 Red Hot
Damage reported on carfax, how badly it will hurt resale value?

Hello!
Looking at the 19 ZLE with 2k miles at a dealership and the driver door has been replaced because owner clipped garage door. How bad will it lower the price in case I buy it now and decide to trade it in couple years down the line? Should I even bother with this car?
Ch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
crab

Drives: 2019 1LE
Funny thing about Carfax, my daughter works for Carstar collision repair and they have no idea how Carfax gets their information...lol.
"That my friend.. is the sweet succulent sound of the car preparing to ignite the wonderfully tasty nectar your V8 needs to send the screaming bald eagles furiously from the 4 pipes out of the rear of your vehicle"
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
ride_002000

Drives: 2016 F150
Shouldn't. If it was an accident in the front or rear then it would have some impact. But what I would do is try to use it to negotiate a better price for you.
ride_002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #4
Ch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride_002000 View Post
Shouldn't. If it was an accident in the front or rear then it would have some impact. But what I would do is try to use it to negotiate a better price for you.
They asking 57k which seems high to what I have seen it being sold for. Been checking prices closely for the last 3-4 months. How much you think is a fair discount I could ask on it?
Old 02-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by crab View Post
Funny thing about Carfax, my daughter works for Carstar collision repair and they have no idea how Carfax gets their information...lol.

Ummm those things called insurance companies....
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #6
VegasZ

Drives: 2020 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1 View Post
They asking 57k which seems high to what I have seen it being sold for. Been checking prices closely for the last 3-4 months. How much you think is a fair discount I could ask on it?
I don’t think I would pay over 50k for a used zle with an accident reported. Can you tell by CarFax exactly what the damage was or does it just say 1 accident reported? If future buyers can’t tell from the report how bad the accident was they will usually assume the worst.
VegasZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #7
Herewego

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post
Ummm those things called insurance companies....
Nope. They don't report to Carfax.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:32 PM   #8
Ch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasZ View Post
I don’t think I would pay over 50k for a used zle with an accident reported. Can you tell by CarFax exactly what the damage was or does it just say 1 accident reported? If future buyers can’t tell from the report how bad the accident was they will usually assume the worst.
It says damage reported not accident. Driver door was clipped by garage door, so the owner ended up replacing whole door. He showed me all paperwork for repair, previous owner works at the dealership it being sold at
Old 02-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
Slyone

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crab View Post
Any party that buys into carfax ie: repair shops , police departments etc. Carfax offers discounted rates depending on how much access the business allows.
Slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #10
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
If the repair was done proper all the body lines are correct and they match the paint (some are two stage paints) not sure it would hurt the value by much. Seen 19 ZL1s listed for low 50s for base through mid 60s with 1LE package. I would start mid 40s and go from there. Bet he took a beating trading it in.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:23 AM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
ZLEs retailed for over $70,000 and it being a 2019 you could offer $52,000. The damage to the door was not major and shouldn’t affect resale value too much. As long as the car was repaired by a professional body shop I see no reason why the car won’t sell for $57,000 with only 2000 miles. If you want the car then make an offer and see if the dealer will bite!
Old 02-23-2020, 07:50 AM   #12
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
Nope. They don't report to Carfax.
Yup. There was a really long thread on the Camaro forum last year about wrong information on a carfax and the owner not being able to get it removed.

Apparently, most of the carfax info comes from police reports and body shops.

So, if the door was replaced by the dealership and there was no police report, odds are, it won't make it to carfax.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #13
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1 View Post
Hello!
Looking at the 19 ZLE with 2k miles at a dealership and the driver door has been replaced because owner clipped garage door. How bad will it lower the price in case I buy it now and decide to trade it in couple years down the line? Should I even bother with this car?

I had a 2013 GT500 that had a drivers side door replaced due to a garage door spring breaking. A portion of the spring bounced of the concrete and hit the door. I had the car repaired at a Ford Dealer. The damage did show up on every CarFax that was ran on the car when I attempted to trade it in afterwards. Four different dealers depreciated the car anywhere from 4500 to 5000 bucks. Hindsight says, I should of never filed a claim with my insurance company and paid for the repair out of pocket. I was told by a CarFax rep when I called to see if I could somehow have it removed, that they gather there info primarily from Insurance companies, collision repair centers and dealerships.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #14
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
According to carfax' own website, the only information that insurance companies provide to them are totalled vehicles and stolen vehicles. So collision repair info comes from repair centers and accident reports. Insurers don't really give them much info...

https://www.carfax.com/company/vhr-data-sources