Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #1
byrds8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
New Purchase

I just recently purchased a 2013 Camaro SS. It has been lowered and has adjustable coil overs and has an adjustble ride height. I have been trying to understand all about these things since I never had to before. It looks like the car sits about 25.5inches from the lower wheel lip to the fender which would be roughly around 650mm. Ive read on here 660mm is where it should be. Is it going to hurt anything that its sitting lower than recommended? If so, how would I adjust it higher and what all would I have to do? What does the adjustments under the hood and in the truck do vs the ones on the shocks etc? Thanks in advance.
byrds8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
The adjustment knobs under the hood and trunk will be the compression and/or rebound adjustments for the coilovers. The Camaro can handle a drop of about 1.5" or so before needing to compensate with other suspension mods (bump steer kit, etc.). When adjusting ride height you just need to make sure that all relevant suspension bushings have been timed, clocked, reset - whatever you want to say... I'll let you read up on that . If you haven't had an alignment done you may want to considering doing so, and at the same time have the bushings timed; if the mechanic doesn't know what "timing" bushings means then perhaps find another mechanic.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
byrds8

The car was already lowered when I purchased it. I am really just wanting to make sure it being only 25.5in is OK and not going to dmg any other parts of the car. Id assume the previous owner got an alignment done.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
Army of Wuzzy

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Lowering the car will not hurt it assuming the supporting mods have been done. I'm currently on a 1.5" drop and I haven't damaged anything. I would be cautious of inclines, but besides that you are fine. I'd also recommend checking the exhaust to make sure it isn't super low hanging. While you're under there, check for any scrapes. As far as adjusting the height, you have to remove the wheels and on the coilover there will be threads and one way is raising and other lowers it. There are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to adjust coilovers. The hood ones are for dampening, as previously stated.

Best of luck, and congrats on buying a great car!

"If you aren't first, you're last"
-Ricky Bobby
Army of Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
byrds8

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure what other mods may have been done or not done. The only time I have scrapped the bottom is on a weird hill transition. Other than that I have not. It seems to ride pretty smooth other than slight vibration at around 75mph. I know over all a CAI was put on as well as the coil overs, and adjustable ride height, cat back solo exhaust and rims. This weekend Ill be adding a catch can to it and cleaning the TB up. At least now I know nothing is going to break under there for stress or anything for being too low lol. Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
pics please!
rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
byrds8

Ill have to try and get a pic or two tomorrow. Its dark now. Over look the dirty too. I washed her this weekend and something was burning down the way and got ash all over her. Needless to say she needs another bath. lol
Old 01-31-2019, 05:58 AM   #8
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
The car was already lowered when I purchased it. I am really just wanting to make sure it being only 25.5in is OK and not going to dmg any other parts of the car. Id assume the previous owner got an alignment done.
Was just thinking that an alignment/bushing timing may be a good idea since you may not know if the previous owner did those, just to be safe...
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:55 AM   #9
byrds8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Was just thinking that an alignment/bushing timing may be a good idea since you may not know if the previous owner did those, just to be safe...
How much does timing the bushings cost?
Old 01-31-2019, 05:40 PM   #10
byrds8

Here are a couple of images I took today.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2019, 08:39 PM   #11
byrds8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Previous owner said all that was done. So guess Im good to go there then lol. He took real good care of the car for sure.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:54 PM   #12
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
660mm for the rear is as low as you should go if you plan on any track or autocross use. At high speed below that the axle angle is not good. Heat builds up, the axle grease liquifies and comes out of the boot. Bye bye axle. If you do roadcourses or strip I wouldn’t even go lower then 675. For the street your fine at 660. And by the way 660 is 1.5” from max stock which is 700 mm. Stock I was 690. I keep it at 665 as I autocross. To maintain stock rake front should be 10mm less then your rear dimension.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #13
byrds8

I do not go to the track or do autocross. I havent driven over 100mph in years. I guess it depends on what youre calling "high speed" too. If youre talking long durations of 150mph+ then I guess I should be safe at 650mm. If youre talking over 80mph then I may have an issue.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:09 AM   #14
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
I do not go to the track or do autocross. I havent driven over 100mph in years. I guess it depends on what youre calling "high speed" too. If youre talking long durations of 150mph+ then I guess I should be safe at 650mm. If youre talking over 80mph then I may have an issue.
Sounds like your fine. Time will tell.Only other thing is at 650 you reduce the vertical upward travel of the rear arms even more and they can bind up. Possibly noticeable over big bumps, railroad tracks and stuff.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote