Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #15
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
They do great in the snow, ice, slush. But, tires are everything.
I bought mine last Dec. and at that time only had one car. Put Continental DWS extremes 275 on front and 315 on back. It did better than my work truck. The PTM and stability controls work great.
We would only be limited to depth of snow and snow drifts because of the front end.
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #16

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS 6A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
I've driven it in blinding snow and ice because I had no other way to get home. While I was surprised at how well it handled it, I would try to avoid doing it if you can.

I put the car in PTM 2 and was easy on the throttle and brakes. That said , I've lived in NY and WI so I'm used to driving in snow. Good luck.
Hello,

What it ptm2 ? And can I do that stock ? Or is that some kind of tune ?
191185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #17
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
That's also my concern since we get ice in the cold months. Still on GY F1s with 630RWHP. No many choices out there in stock fitment. Wish A/S was available
For those considering winter tires

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197439

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #18
aurora

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1; 2012 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
That's also my concern since we get ice in the cold months. Still on GY F1s with 630RWHP. No many choices out there in stock fitment. Wish A/S was available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ice in Tx, hey.....must be near mountains?

By A/S do you mean All Season?
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #19
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora View Post
So you mean you removed boost in order to keep the gas steady on ice and prevent skidding?
Exactly. Cut available power and drove it like a champ in 3 blizzards over that time frame. My car did not have traction control by the way. Hell, I took it snowboarding every Sunday for 4 seasons and it saw snow up and down I70 all the time. My trick saved me getting stranded more than once.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #20
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
PTM1?
Your missing the point. Ptm 1 still has boost and a lot of power available. My advice is to get a winter beater and save the ZL1 from the snow.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #21
aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Great, thanks...

I plan to park this car over winter and drive my Pathfinder, but it would be good to find a decent tire that can extend the drive season a bit longer, with early spring and late fall.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:06 PM   #22
aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 ZL1 #7860 View Post
Exactly. Cut available power and drove it like a champ in 3 blizzards over that time frame. My car did not have traction control by the way. Hell, I took it snowboarding every Sunday for 4 seasons and it saw snow up and down I70 all the time. My trick saved me getting stranded more than once.
I see. Cool. Its kind of like a MacGuyver move.

I imagine when snowboard season was over you removed the golf-tee, resumed the boost, and proceeded right into golf season.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #23
aurora

You all were right about not chancing the drive today. Thanks for input.

What a disaster! We had trees down, lights down, vehicles out of control, accidents everywhere...it was not the right scene for a ZL1.

While walking this morning the sounds of trees breaking under the weight of heavy snow filled the air...it was really creepy...most sidewalks were blocked with fallen trees and I also saw some transformers exploding as power lines were going down. Wow.

My friend who drives an old Firebird told me he was constantly sliding sideways into the next lane...the front wheels were slipping, similar to what you were saying, Oddvious.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #24
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Sven 59, I just checked my tires. Now, I have to look this stuff up, but I think its bad news...these aren't the snow friendly ones.

Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar tires
Treadwear 220
Traction AA
Temperature A
This car comes with 'summer only' tires.

If you drive on them <40deg, Good Year says they will crack and will not be covered under warranty.

Also, it's dangerous to you and the other cars around you to drive in those temperatures. Pure hockey pucks.

When I replace tires, I plan to get an all season tire.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #25
Oddvious

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

My friend who drives an old Firebird told me he was constantly sliding sideways into the next lane...the front wheels were slipping, similar to what you were saying, Oddvious.

I have a winter beater this winter so it will stay parked my oldest son was with me and no words where spoke we just looked at each other it was that close we where right beside the 18 Wheeler and looked straight under his haul and I though for a second I was gonna gain traction and be shot directly under his load and be run over by his back tires now mind you I had just entered the HWY on a totally dry sunny day just really cold 20's so tires where frozen wasn't a good situation really.

In all honesty same thing happened a month before with no one around minding my own business hit an ice patch doing about 50 and pointed the car straight at the woods line lucky for me I pulled it back straight.

Back to the Freeway it's a good thing the first innocent happened and I was aware and I was always cautious after driving in low temps or I may not be here today to talk about it. I've had a lot of close calls in my life but this hands down made me respect the ZL a lot more and buy a winter beater this year got an S10 LOL
Oddvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #26
Pflyn lo

Drives: 2013 summit white zl1
Just drove mine yesterday in South Dakota and Wyoming with stock gy's. About a foot on the ground, roads wet and slick. Did ok but don't want to do it again
Pflyn lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #27
Oddvious

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pflyn lo View Post
Just drove mine yesterday in South Dakota and Wyoming with stock gy's. About a foot on the ground, roads wet and slick. Did ok but don't want to do it again
Haa That's the deceiving thing car does really well just slides at will LOL
Oddvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #28
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Wow!! That's a hot picture in your sig.

Reminds me of my very first gas up right off the lot....I turned around and looked back at the car and thought, holy sh!t that's a mean looking car. It looked way different when off the lot and somewhere by itself.
Thanks. Yeah, the car looks evil. I blacked out the bow ties, tail light bezels, and CAMARO badges.

How'd your car do in the snow?