Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Checked under the hood.... I tried my best to save her [Engine Bay Clean(/Detail?)]

So I recently became the owner of my sister's 2014 Camaro 2LS. Already been checking the mods I can do and what not but I realized I hadn't actually popped the hood yet....

Before

We bought the car a year ago in Houston, TX. She took it to Arizona with her roadtrip style and stayed there until May 2018 where she drove back to Houston. The previous owner seemed nice but when we bought it the first real 0-60 induced a gray cloud from the exhaust, but no problems we found.

Now to my attempt of fixing this....

After

This was my first time doing any cleaning on an engine bay for disclosure. I used some cheap stuff from Walmart and O'Rielly (Simple Green APC, loads of MF towels, big wash brush, small detail brush). I tried finding a proper process but it seems everyone has their own personal way to do things. My steps are as follows:
  1. Ensure every tank is closed firmly
  2. Take off the engine cover
  3. Spray APC and scrub
  4. Water the engine bay with literally a garden pot (many trips to the sink)
  5. Spray APC everywhere in excess amounts
  6. Scrub.
  7. Scrub with small detail brush in harder to reach places
  8. Water down with previous pot method
  9. Water down engine cover
  10. Whipe away any residue with MF towels

I would also like to say that my timing was pretty bad but I wanted to get it done ASAP, it's been light sprinkling/heavy raining on/off the entire day and will continue to for the week it seems. I did everything in my garage then moved the car out and is currently on for a bit.

Before the process I waited an hour and a half after the engine was turned off but maybe I should've waited longer as I began to see evaporation from the water near the engine, I stopped and waited until that was gone before continuing.

This isn't really a how-to post but me explaining what I did and seeking feedback from the more experienced of the community. One thing I do want to specifically ask is, Simple Green APC has been working but the smell really doesn't settle with me. I hear Adam's APC is used a lot more around here but am unsure whether I should switch. If anyone could put insight in that it would be very appreciated.

TL;DR

Engine bay was this and my attempt to clean it turned to this.

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 06-19-2018 at 03:12 PM. Reason: First photos didn't show
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
I use Purple Power that I get at Dollar General. Has no real smell, especially not like SG. It cuts grease, oil and grime very good.

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Was the car ever in a front end collision?

The reason I ask is because that little black/yellow warning sticker on the bumper support assembly should be located on the driver's-side, not the passenger side.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:18 AM   #4
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
It was in a ‘Sideswipe’ collision before we bought her, though it wasn’t serious enough to total and kept the clean title. The report still comes up on VIN checks. Should I ask next time at the dealer to move it?
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
It was in a ‘Sideswipe’ collision before we bought her, though it wasn’t serious enough to total and kept the clean title. The report still comes up on VIN checks. Should I ask next time at the dealer to move it?
for me, I wouldn't worry about it. Some people are a bit nuts about exact stuff, but if you are going to mod it, the focus isn't really going to be on "stock" look now is it.

But props on the cleaning job, that was a bit of an undertaking and it looks awesome. great job there. May even motivate me to get out and do mine a little better for camarofest approaching.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #6
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I don't think you can move it. Once you try to peel it up, the adhesive will not be reusable again. You can probably buy another one rather cheaply at the dealer or online and place it in the correct location.

I'm not trying to hassle you over some sticker. These are not Bloomington Gold mid year Corvettes here. However, if I saw something like that at a dealer or at a car show, I'd be wondering if the car was in a collision or had the bumper reinforcement replaced due to the incorrect location of the sticker.

However, since you already know the history of the car and the sticker location is really not bothering you, I'd say leave it alone and just enjoy the car.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:06 PM   #7
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
You went all out. When I clean my engine bay, it's just a can of Engine Brite Foam and a garden hose with nozzle. Cleans well every time.
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apc, clean, detail, dirty, engine bay