Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-29-2024, 08:54 AM   #1
Israelmwang

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
HELP WITH ECM/TUNING PROBLEM? Controller Unlocker: Timed Out

Hey everyone,
I just finished installing a cam kit in my 2011 SS. Everything from the cam up is brand new (minus the heads). Remote tuning with HP Tuners

I was running into some engine codes but talked to my tuner and it looks like the tune wasn't flashing fully. I had just been doing "write calibration" instead of "write entire" which was most likely the reason the tune file from the tuner wasn't getting written completely when we tried to flash it. This could have also been the reason for messing up voltage readings for at least the MAP sensor circuit (one of the DTCs I was getting). I went to flash the entire tune going through the normal process for that using HP Tuners (Using "Write Entire"). After the status "requesting access" it goes immediately to "Controller Unlocker: Timed Out" and says failed.

After this I tried messing with the computer and HP Tuners (restarting the laptop, unplugging and replugging back in, unplug the tuner to shut it down and restart it, plugging it into the computer first, then the car and vice versa. I disconnected the battery and waited about 30 minutes before reconnecting it and tried that, I tired starting it with the battery on charge connected to power. I still kept getting the "Controller Unlocker:Timed Out" right away. At this point I thought, maybe I should try and start to crank the car and see if it reads. So I started scanning with VCM scanner and tried to crank it to get a reading. At this point the car wouldnt crank. I press in on the clutch to start it but the starter motor wouldnt even turn or crank the car. It would just turn the lights off on the dash as if I wasn't pressing the clutch in. The VCM scanner also started reading and scanning fine but I noticed it was only scanning the fuel rail pressure.

I disconnected the battery and pulled the ECM fuse to do a full restart. After reconnecting it and putting the fuse back I was getting the same issue. - Car wouldn't crank and the same "Controller Unlocker: Timed Out" when trying to flash the tune. At this point I went to read the current tune that was on the car, but when I went to read it, it said No Vin was detected, please enter a Vin or Press Cancel to Continue. I pressed cancel to continue to pull the current tune on the car and also pulled it after typing in my VIN (pulled the tune twice). Both cases it pulled the same tune...there was no engine or trans data on the tune...only the fuel system would pop up with data (on fuel pressure). -

Given all this. I've come to two conclusions. Either my PCM is bricked / fried, or somehow the tune got basically erased from the car, and it won't let me rewrite a new tune to it. I initially thought maybe when I started writing the entire tune, it erased everything and then only got part way into putting on the new tune (only fuel pressure got written) but when I try to write it, it only says "Controller Unlocker: Timed Out" which makes it seem like it didn't even start to write the tune onto the ECM. But at the same time, VCM scanner is still scanning and running with a connection so I don't think the ECM is bricked either.

I also thought for a second maybe it is a lose ground connection to the PCM, but the car hadn't physically been moved or the hood even opened since the last time trying to crank/start it (the night before).
- the battery was also at at least 12V throughout this whole process.

I am not sure if anyone is familiar with what could be happening here, or if anyone has experienced something similar, but if you have any advice or input I would greatly appreciate it. I am at a loss on what to do now. I don't know how my ECM would have gotten bricked or fried but I hope I don't need to buy a new one.
Israelmwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:30 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I'm not sure in this one but you might get some help on the HP Tuners forum from some of the guys over there. They are kind of clicky though so just be patient with them and do the steps they give you. Good luck sir.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:06 AM   #3
Israelmwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I'm not sure in this one but you might get some help on the HP Tuners forum from some of the guys over there. They are kind of clicky though so just be patient with them and do the steps they give you. Good luck sir.
I just posted on the HP Tuners forum as well! Thank you!
Old 03-29-2024, 10:25 AM   #4
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
No reason at all to need to write entire for something as simple as cam tune.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:15 AM   #5
Israelmwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
No reason at all to need to write entire for something as simple as cam tune.
Thats what I would think as well - I started with write calibration but it seemed like the tune wasn't flashing fully/correctly because there were engine codes appearing that would have been turned off in the tune. I have seen write entire be used before when changing the resolution for the MAP sensor having to do with the voltage /expected voltage. However even if I do "Write Entire" what would the reason for these problems be? Because it seems there is no tune on the ECU now and it wont let me write calibration or write entire either. It keeps giving me the Controller Unlocker: Timed Out
Old 03-29-2024, 12:28 PM   #6
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Have you tried the beta version of HP Tuners?
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:33 PM   #7
Israelmwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
Have you tried the beta version of HP Tuners?
I haven't yet! I am thinking about trying beta or trying to go back a version and try that as well. I think that might be the next step after trying to disconnect the battery and trying to write again - although I am hesitant because I doubt changing the version would have much effect after writing many successful tunes on this version
Old 03-29-2024, 01:43 PM   #8
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
I've had that message when trying to write with the key off by mistake
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 02:04 PM   #9
Israelmwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
I've had that message when trying to write with the key off by mistake
Ahhh I wish. I definitely had the key on unfortunately. I tried multiple times and tred messing around to see if anything would work to change it. Tried waiting 15 seconds, a minute, 5 minutes after key on
Old 03-29-2024, 02:26 PM   #10
acutron42

Are you running windows? If so, one dumb thing you can check for is pending updates & scan for updates. It probably wont do anything but I have seen this cause issues.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:32 PM   #11
Israelmwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
Are you running windows? If so, one dumb thing you can check for is pending updates & scan for updates. It probably wont do anything but I have seen this cause issues.
I actually did do all the windows updates and restarted the laptop and still no luck :(

This is really racking my brain. I might try to pull a bunch of fuses that could be generating noise, as well as cycle it (disconnect the battery) and see if that helps, and then keep writing until something happens lol.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:41 PM   #12
acutron42

I like to try the most trivial things first. Maybe have your tuner resend the file & see if anything changes?
Old 03-29-2024, 03:25 PM   #13
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
If you email HP tuners Tech support they usually get back fairly quickly and they are pretty good at trouble shooting.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 03:35 PM   #14
Israelmwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
If you email HP tuners Tech support they usually get back fairly quickly and they are pretty good at trouble shooting.
I don't think they are available over the weekend esp bc its a holiday, but if I cant get it working this weekend I will contact them for sure!

Tags
ecm, electrical, grounds, pcm, tuning