Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #15
wkdivr

Drives: 2004 GMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376camaro View Post
Ok! say I would tune it myself would it be as accurate and custom as a dyno tune, and what would I need to purchase in order to be able to tune it myself? Thanks

Tuning takes TONS of time to learn, if you're ever done learning. It's not something you just blindly barell into. Unless you really want to learn this, it's best left up to the pros.
wkdivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #16
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
wouldnt I be able to data log my car then send the data back to vector motorsport, wich he can then adjust, tweek and customise? which would end up giving me the same results as a dyno but in a longuer time frame? Or is it simply impossible to get the same results as a dyno?
Well, you want to be able to test your results immediately, and the same environment matters.

Quote:
Another question! like Padre said , a mail tune will be in the ballpark but it won’t be custom to my car. It makes sense and I am sure it is true but it is not like I am doing major mods to my engine which would require serious recalibrations, it is just a air intake and some headers which vector motorsports told me that they already tested! So I was guessing that the variation between a custom dyno tune and a mail ordered tune (in this case) would be so minor that they are virtually identical! Please correct me if I am wrong.
I think that's fair to say with bolt-ons. You can drive a mailorder tune with confidence.

Quote:
Ok! say I would tune it myself would it be as accurate and custom as a dyno tune, and what would I need to purchase in order to be able to tune it myself? Thanks
For $600 or so, you can get HP Tuners. It will allow you to log and tune. You could get a mail-order tune, and then over time (as was said), you can see what's going on with HPT. Then after a lot of study, you can make minor tweaking yourself (to the mailorder tune, your own, or the stock tune). I do all my tuning myself with HPT, but I've been learning for 5+ years.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #17
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
I will never buy a mail order tune again.... My GTP i had got jacked up becouse the tune i got was from up north were its always 70 or lower in temp out side. it's 105 were i am some times. so i saw 6 and 7 KR. had to ship it back and forth and back and forth and after 4 time i still had KR.. take it to a dyno. I have HP tunners and a wide band but im not gona mess with this car to much.... ) Mail order tunes can be a PAIN...
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #18
Razor
straight gettin' it

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Two words... Call Ted. The man knows what he is doing and offers free tunes when you purchase parts from him. His tune really woke my car up. These guys are top notch when it comes to knowledge and customer service.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #19
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
not to tread jack. whats Teds number please.. getting a list of stuff together. or do u have a link???
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #20
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodbar View Post
not to tread jack. whats Teds number please.. getting a list of stuff together. or do u have a link???
JANNETTY RACING
Old 05-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #21
ace2777

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Orange
If you can get to westchester NY, hit chuck from corvettes of westchester. He does a road tune. You hold the laptop, he drives and calibrates as needed. It's quite an experience but the results are great. I'll be revisiting him for gears and a supercharger soon !

VORTECH V3 SI SUPERCHARGER
JRE UPGRADE KIT
AMERICAN RACING HEADERS
SOLO MACH-X CAT BACK EXHAUST
JRE CUSTOM TUNE
EIBACH PRO SPRINGS AND SWAYS
CATCH CAN
604 RWHP / 547 TQ
ace2777 is offline   Reply With Quote