Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
when will we get complete suspension kits

Have been looking for a street suspension kit, looking at Pfadt, but they keep coming out with additional components, how long until all the parts are done?
Pfadt has sway bars, just added end links, lowering springs, control arm stiffeners, diff. mount bushings, new strut tower brace, 18 peice bushing set...........But I want to install everything ONCE, I would like the installation done at an experienced installer, do I have to wait another couple of months?
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
cmancha003

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #1097
I thought Pedders had full kits.
cmancha003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
This platform is so new, it's gonna be a while before everything gets attention. If you're wanting to replace EVERYTHING, you're going to have to go to different vendors as NO ONE has everything, at least not yet. A lot of the stuff won't require a professional to install and won't need to be aligned either. Get the springs/coilovers, sways and endlinks now. If there's anything else you want, grab it too, then do the alignment. Everything else should be just replacing with stonger units.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1camaro70 View Post
Have been looking for a street suspension kit, looking at Pfadt, but they keep coming out with additional components, how long until all the parts are done?
Pfadt has sway bars, just added end links, lowering springs, control arm stiffeners, diff. mount bushings, new strut tower brace, 18 peice bushing set...........But I want to install everything ONCE, I would like the installation done at an experienced installer, do I have to wait another couple of months?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
1camaro70

sorry PQ, but have not watched your install.
Am interested in the alignment issue, and whether you need to wait until suspension settles.
If I go with Pfadt the closest installer is about 200 miles away, I don't want to do that more that once, get everything installed and get alignment, verses getting install and driving back unaligned, waiting for suspension to settle then align and replace tires because of wear pattern from wrong alignment.
First I thought of Peddelers because of their G8 work, but they seem to be adding new stuff daily also.
From my experience over the years, it appears that the suspension bushings are very important part of suspension, not just sway bars, end links and springs, so I supose I have to wait a while.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
RichJ.
Shop Owner

Drives: 1 ton silverado
We have Pedders full suspension kits in stock.
RichJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
1camaro70

RichJ: which one?
Peddlers has street 1, street 2 and street Xa.
do they have all the bushings? Their site shows some components not available yet, based on which kit, again I want a street kit, but Peddlers has at least three to pick from, and some parts are not yet available.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
sorry PQ, but have not watched your install.
Am interested in the alignment issue, and whether you need to wait until suspension settles.
If I go with Pfadt the closest installer is about 200 miles away, I don't want to do that more that once, get everything installed and get alignment, verses getting install and driving back unaligned, waiting for suspension to settle then align and replace tires because of wear pattern from wrong alignment.
First I thought of Peddelers because of their G8 work, but they seem to be adding new stuff daily also.
From my experience over the years, it appears that the suspension bushings are very important part of suspension, not just sway bars, end links and springs, so I supose I have to wait a while.
What are your plans for this car? If this is your daily driver and occasional racer, you really don't NEED to replace EVERYTHING under the car. There are key points that will net you the most gains. Most of the others are just filling in the cracks and replacing parts with stronger ones. For the VAST majority of us out there, springs and sways are more than plenty. The Hotchkis chasis brace would be next on my list after those. It ties a lot of the underneath together to make for a rigid feel while still having the cushion of the OEM bushings.

While yes bushings will greatly stiffen up the suspension, they also make the ride considerably stiffer too. GM didn't make the bushing "squishy" because it was cheaper. They are that way for a reason. If you don't mind giving up ride quality then that's not an issue. If ride quality is an issue, any one of these things won't be too bad but when you do all of them, your ride quality goes to shit.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
AJ@ECSMotorsports

Drives: BMW 335i
Send a message via AIM to AJ@ECSMotorsports
Eibach and Hothckis have their versions of suspension kits with springs, sway bars, shassis braces, strut bars, etc.

Eibach has the Pro plus
Hotchkis has the Stage 1 TVS and Track Pack Kits
AJ@ECSMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Hi 1camaro70,

First off, thank you for considering our products. We like to make sure that everyone is on the same page when it comes to upgrading their suspension components on the Camaro, and I hope we can provide enough info about what we specifically offer and why.

As some of the other comments have suggested, it may be a really good idea to take a step back and consider the end use of the car, and upgrade the most desirable components first, like springs, sways, endlinks, and a handful of rear end components (bushings and arms etc.). I think this may be a good idea, so you can get familiar with the newly added chassis handling characteristics, and build the "resolution" in your driving perception to target other key areas that need upgrading.

As others have mentioned, the alignment will be needed for the springs/coilovers install mainly, but most other upgrade components are not changing the actual suspension geometry so they will not require an additional alignment. Upgrading items like the rear trailing arms, rear toe links, subframe bushings and differential bushings are in this category (presuming you install ones that maintain OEM specs).

I would not worry about having your products installed and then having to wait to align it. We provide specifications for alignment that can be used immediately after you install the springs/coilovers.

FYI, PQ's install video really exhibits just how easy the install is for the DIY'er. PQ, if I am not mistaken, was on the fence about whether or not to do it himself. Im sure he is more than happy he chose that direction, no?
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
1camaro70

I have said in the past that the new Camaro has a much better ride than the 2001 I had, the rear end would jump out if it hit a bump while cornering, had a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe that was limited by its stability control and I have better handling with my 2006 Acura Rl (with AWD) than ever with the G35, The 2010 Camaro rides about as good as the RL, but I want less body lean and better cornering, but not too much loss in ride comfort. So how far do I need to go? sway bars, springs and end links? I will dirve it every day once the snow is gone (this weekend the Varram gets installed).
Old 03-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
I have said in the past that the new Camaro has a much better ride than the 2001 I had, the rear end would jump out if it hit a bump while cornering, had a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe that was limited by its stability control and I have better handling with my 2006 Acura Rl (with AWD) than ever with the G35, The 2010 Camaro rides about as good as the RL, but I want less body lean and better cornering, but not too much loss in ride comfort. So how far do I need to go? sway bars, springs and end links? I will dirve it every day once the snow is gone (this weekend the Varram gets installed).
This is a perfect concern to have for a street car. You do not need to go too far at all to address the areas you want to improve! My best recommendation will be to start with what you have mentioned (Springs,Swaybars and Endlinks). As others have said, yes, ride quality starts to be more compromised with the addition of less compliant bushings etc. That is NOT to say you will incur BAD ride quality. Its just a matter of personal preference, and what you consider a good compromise/tradeoff for better performance under cornering.

Our drop springs firm up the ride without making it harsh and will improve your feel/control in turns. Certainly some upgrades are for race cars, but our Sport Package is designed specifically for use and enjoyment in a daily driver. We take great care to provide a product that is both functional and comfortable. These drop springs will line up nicely when matched with our Sport Swaybars in the kit, to address your body roll concerns. Check out the testing video below to see just how much improvement is made! Thanks! Let us know if you have any questions on our products! We are here to help

Last edited by PfadtRacing; 03-04-2010 at 05:43 PM.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #13
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
What are your plans for this car? If this is your daily driver and occasional racer, you really don't NEED to replace EVERYTHING under the car. There are key points that will net you the most gains. Most of the others are just filling in the cracks and replacing parts with stronger ones. For the VAST majority of us out there, springs and sways are more than plenty. The Hotchkis chasis brace would be next on my list after those. It ties a lot of the underneath together to make for a rigid feel while still having the cushion of the OEM bushings.

While yes bushings will greatly stiffen up the suspension, they also make the ride considerably stiffer too. GM didn't make the bushing "squishy" because it was cheaper. They are that way for a reason. If you don't mind giving up ride quality then that's not an issue. If ride quality is an issue, any one of these things won't be too bad but when you do all of them, your ride quality goes to shit.

Pedders has seriously simplified our systems for you. Took the gtood, better, best approach for Street, track, drags, etc. Pedders will be making additions to the Camaro product line, but these additions traditionally will etiehr add kits and not change existing kits. We may make changes to these kits once we have more data on OE wear functions.

In terms of bushings causing harsher rides, just not true! There have been 30-40 GM engineers that have road tested our completely Pedderized vehicles and all of them have been amazed on the quality of the ride, and lack of noise, and massive improvements in handling. There are excess movements in a numnber of components that braces and such just cannot fix where bushings can.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #14
1camaro70

when I looked at buying the Pontiac GTO and G8, the obvious choise was Pedders. When I look at their web site my eyes glaze over, too much, do I go with Street II, and add bushing kit, but where are new end links for sway bars, that everyone says you should add because stock ones are so thin?
So GM has used them to evaluate the suspension of the Camaro but how do I pick a kit? why no end links? $1000 to $1500 is OK for kit, but who's stuff?