Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
Cristoff

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS in Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
My wife and I stopped in Herb Connolly Chevrolet in Framingham, MA today. They had a black ZL1 in stock. They are adding $5k to the sticker. They offer me $24k for my 10 2SS, which is in damn near showroom condition. The car has never seen snow, seen rain only a couple of times, and kept in a heated garage. it gets professionally detail at least twice a year, which leads to the best part...... Hold on for this one...... They were going to deduct $1000 for reconditioning my car! WTF? Has anybody else ever had dealings with a dealership that had the audacity to try this?
How many miles are on the 10 2SS?

Even in the BEST condition, our dealership spends between $1,500.00 and $2,000.00 in reconditioning before it hits the front line. I don't advocate mark-ups or the dealers that do, but for a 2010 I don't think they hit you that low on your trade.

Audacity? that's a bit dramatic. If you don't like the trade in value (and MOST people don't) sell it on your own. You are virtually guaranteed more money on the private market.

The dealership isn't looking at your "baby" with the same sentimental value that you are. The fact that it has never seen rain or snow really doesn't matter on trade in value anymore with the anti-corrosion advancements in the past 25 years or so. You love your car, but to the dealership, it's just a car - no matter how well you have taken care of it.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristoff View Post

Even in the BEST condition, our dealership spends between $1,500.00 and $2,000.00 in reconditioning before it hits the front line. I don't advocate mark-ups or the dealers that do, but for a 2010 I don't think they hit you that low on your trade.

Audacity? that's a bit dramatic. If you don't like the trade in value (and MOST people don't) sell it on your own. You are virtually guaranteed more money on the private market.

The dealership isn't looking at your "baby" with the same sentimental value that you are. The fact that it has never seen rain or snow really doesn't matter on trade in value anymore with the anti-corrosion advancements in the past 25 years or so. You love your car, but to the dealership, it's just a car - no matter how well you have taken care of it.
It's INVENTORY! I agree with you. I'm not sure how good the market it right now, but about 6 months ago the "used" car market was valuing used cars pretty high! I'd put your car in Auto Trader, Ebay Online, and I have found the LOCAL paper is a pretty good spot these days. The majority of sellers are NOT using the local primary paper anymore, so your car ends up with less competition. I've tried this method recently and was pretty pleased with the calls I got from the local paper as compared to the Auto Trader route.

Good luck!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
Cully77
FOUR T 5

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th
The dealership I go to doesn't mark up above MSRP. They sell their zr-1's at MSRP!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cully77 View Post
The dealership I go to doesn't mark up above MSRP. They sell their zr-1's at MSRP!
It's not unusual to see ZR1s at $15k off MSRP at the end of the model year.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
The Ratchet

Drives: 2011 RJT Vert 2LT/RS
I don't think adding $5k to the sticker is price gouging. If I owned that dealership and only had say one ZL1 at the moment I'd mark it up to. It's simple economics. Supply and demand. It doesn't matter if it's a car, a boat, a motorcycle, a house, etc.

If you have something, that is in short supply, and that a lot of people want (and/or is super new or cool) you have the right in a free market economy to charge whatever the hell you want for it.

And with some items, dealers do this to prevent early buyers from simply flipping the item themselves and making the profit. Certain high end cars aren't even available for sale at first, and offered on a lease-only basis for the first year to prevent anyone from taking title to the car and selling it at massive markup/profit. Certain Ferrari's are like this.

So, it comes to - do you want one, and do you want it now? If so, there's a price to be paid. If you want one and can wait, order one. You still might be forced to pay sticker. Or you can not own one at all.
The Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #20
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Wait a few months and you will see them sitting on lots just like in 2010.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #21
Cully77
FOUR T 5

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
It's not unusual to see ZR1s at $15k off MSRP at the end of the model year.
truth, a lot more wiggle room on those.

But I should have mentioned they were selling them at MSRP when they first came out, they were one of the first dealerships in the midwest to receive allocations because theyre one of the top selling vette dealers in the country. And i'm sure you recall how much over MSRP those were going when nobody could get their hands on them.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #22
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristoff View Post

$1500-2000? Really? I can assure you, you wouldn't last long running a dealership on the east coast. The car needs absolutely nothing, except removing the finger prints off the steering wheel from whoever moves it on the lot. I put new tire, rotors, and pads last..

Audacity, yes. If a dealer goes out of it's way to charge a fee to a customer for something that is the cost of them doing business, pound sand. Especially, when it's an $9/hour car cleaner spending 20 minutes cleaning a car. Next they will add 20 cents per square of toilet paper that I used in their bathroom.

I have no great sentimental attachment to the car. It's one of my three, but that's the way I take care of my cars. If condition didn't matter, NADA, Edmunds, and KBB would use vehicle condition as a value factor.

I've already been offered $28k for the car, I'm just tired of waiting for the allocation since December.

I'm not taking an auction value for a car that will go straight to the line, from a rip off stealership.
gblaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #23
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee

Drives: 2013 Super Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Wait a few months and you will see them sitting on lots just like in 2010.
They already are sitting on the lots. There are 2 sitting on the lot where im at and they are at MSRP......They have been there for a few weeks.
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD

Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #24
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cully77 View Post
truth, a lot more wiggle room on those.

But I should have mentioned they were selling them at MSRP when they first came out, they were one of the first dealerships in the midwest to receive allocations because theyre one of the top selling vette dealers in the country. And i'm sure you recall how much over MSRP those were going when nobody could get their hands on them.

Gotcha. Unfortunately there is not much wiggle room on the Camaro. Only $750 on the v6base cars, $1500 on the SSs. Not sure what the ZL1 s are, prolly less than $3k.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #25
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Back in November I was told by my dealer that trade in for 2010 2SS/RS was 28-29k. By February it was down to 26k. I had put mine up for sale in December and started at 34.5k and ended up selling at 29k. I also continued to watch what 2010s were selling for and I adjusted my price accordingly. But I do think that 24k is very low. If it is as clean as you say, you could easily sell it for 28-30k. I had a lot of upgrades on mine and basically did not get anything back on them. If you have mods you might sell them separately or see if they will go on the ZL1. I took all of my Showstoppers engine compartment covers off to put on my ZL1 that I will be getting in the next couple of days. Do some research and find out what comparable cars are selling for before you go talk to another dealer. Another thing you have to also look at is if you trade in, the taxes that you will save. You need to know your absolute bottom line on your car.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #26
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
Back in November I was told by my dealer that trade in for 2010 2SS/RS was 28-29k. By February it was down to 26k. I had put mine up for sale in December and started at 34.5k and ended up selling at 29k. I also continued to watch what 2010s were selling for and I adjusted my price accordingly. But I do think that 24k is very low. If it is as clean as you say, you could easily sell it for 28-30k. I had a lot of upgrades on mine and basically did not get anything back on them. If you have mods you might sell them separately or see if they will go on the ZL1. I took all of my Showstoppers engine compartment covers off to put on my ZL1 that I will be getting in the next couple of days. Do some research and find out what comparable cars are selling for before you go talk to another dealer. Another thing you have to also look at is if you trade in, the taxes that you will save. You need to know your absolute bottom line on your car.

I spoke with the dealer, that I have my order with last week, he is still at $28k. $26-28K seems to be the average number here on the east coast.

Mine is completely stock, except for expel headlight/foglight protectors, an invisible bra, window tint, and side gill stickers. I also had the calipers powder coated black, because the aluminum was leaching through the "paint" and GM would not cover it under warranty.
Attached Images

gblaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #27
upheval
All over the planet

Drives: 2007 C6 M6 Victory Red
I dont know why any of you guys would pay over sticker?!?! I was autotrader.com and I see new ZL1's for 57-58k (once you get past the oversticker ones). You would have to factor in the price of a plane ticket depending on where the dealer was, but what a drive home that would be!!
Full Exhaust Magna Charger Dyno'd Tuned 543RWHP 489RWTQ
2011 2500HD 6.6 4X4 Z71 397HP 767TQ Factory
Waiting on the ZL1
upheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #28
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by upheval View Post
I dont know why any of you guys would pay over sticker?!?! I was autotrader.com and I see new ZL1's for 57-58k (once you get past the oversticker ones). You would have to factor in the price of a plane ticket depending on where the dealer was, but what a drive home that would be!!
Better call those dealers first as they post sticker, but when you inquire
they want over MSRP
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote