Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Noisy Rear End

And no it is not mine! My ZL1 is making kind of a howling noise from the rear end on slow turns and when decellerating. It is at the dealer and they already tried the slip additive but the noise is still there. It is not a grinding noise like others have experienced but more of howling. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this and if it was resolved. I will also report with what the dealer comes up with.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
And no it is not mine! My ZL1 is making kind of a howling noise from the rear end on slow turns and when decellerating. It is at the dealer and they already tried the slip additive but the noise is still there. It is not a grinding noise like others have experienced but more of howling. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this and if it was resolved. I will also report with what the dealer comes up with.
Yes, mine is noisy too under similar circumstances mosst noticeable around 45-48 MPH when decellerating, and the service manager heard it, but said he doubted he could improve on it. You should be able to find my previous post titled like yours if you do a search.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Sounds like gear noise to me. My 2011 Silverado was noisy like that, took it in and they swapped the gears out. Still noisy so they replaced the entire diff, no more noise.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Yes, mine is noisy too under similar circumstances mosst noticeable around 45-48 MPH when decellerating, and the service manager heard it, but said he doubted he could improve on it. You should be able to find my previous post titled like yours if you do a search.
I read your post, not much help I will see what the dealer comes up with. I also remember reading a post about a software upgrade to the fuel system, they said it was making the noise but I canoot find it and my dealer couldn't find a service bulletin on it. So if anyone knows of thet thread please let me know.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
ZL1LEGEND
ZL1 - The Legend Returns!

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Sounds like Gear noise, which is typically harmless and sometime caused by break in period. Mine will whine a little on the freeway at about 50-60 MPH.

With brand new gears (or a brand new ZL1) the break in recommends not going over 80 MPH and not driving at a constant speed for a long period of time. In my experience, this is directly related to breaking in the gears. I can remember an old Camaro I put 3:73 Richmonds in and it was recommended to drive at variable speeds and heat cycle the gears to break them in. I followed the break in and still heard some whine.

Net- unless its screaming loud, it is likely just some gear noise and very likely harmless.
ZL1LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

I have over 5000 miles
Old 11-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The rear should be quiet, make them fix it until it is. If someone thinks gear noise is normal, they need a boot up their ass.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The rear should be quiet, make them fix it until it is. If someone thinks gear noise is normal, they need a boot up their ass.

My thought too, if some don't make noise then all shouldn't.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Give it the beans! Red line thru first four gears and then I'll bet ya she's nice and quite. She's screaming at you to "ride me like I was meant" stop babying her. She just wants and needs a good smack down. Pedal to the metal please, and could I have another. Give it a try and she'll stop whining.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
At 5000 miles the only thing that will fix it is a technician that knows what they are doing.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Give it the beans! Red line thru first four gears and then I'll bet ya she's nice and quite. She's screaming at you to "ride me like I was meant" stop babying her. She just wants and needs a good smack down. Pedal to the metal please, and could I have another. Give it a try and she'll stop whining.

Just got a call from the dealer, they are replacing the ring and pinion, they found some pitting on them, so much for your advice LOL.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...mine does the same thing, at varying times, and speed. On decel mostly...it whines some. Also, when turning, it's groans and moans at times...it's a noisey car. Case in point...the car moans and groans.... alot..., the tranny, rear axle, pulleys, and supercharger. Noises abound. Relax...it's baked into the cake. HP stuff isn't designed to be quiet, the cuts on the gears and associated parts and surfaces are not made to be quiet, they are made to be durable and stout. If the noise gets worse and persistant over time, then you have an issue.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #13
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Just like the old Muncie M22 they howled also, the exhaust is so noisy on a ZL1 I do not see how you can hear the noise. The noise must be loud.

Most rear ends now days do not make noise. I worked for GM and Dodge back in the 70 s doing auto trans and rear ends. Back then we very seldom had a whining rear ends, what causes the wine is the ring and pinion are not set up correct and it takes some know how how to set the back lash and we put color dye on the gears and look where they touch, also the crush sleeve was a bear to get tight and not go to far.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
SlugWound

Drives: Chevrolet's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Just got a call from the dealer, they are replacing the ring and pinion, they found some pitting on them, so much for your advice LOL.
SlugWound is offline   Reply With Quote