Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #267
carman II

Drives: 87 IROC Z, 91 Z28, 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Having just bought a 1LE, i found the 3500.00 for all that comes with the RPO an incredible value. For the last few months people were talking about how much it would cost to "upgrade' their SS's to 1LE spec- it was well over 10k for all the components. Now that the Z is out, folks are doing the math on the parts for that- it's about triple that amount. Point is the computations are being factored on a retail level, as if you were going in to the local chevy parts dept and ordering them "a la carte"

GM's cost on all the components are probably well under 50% of retail. They can't afford to price the car out of reach for all but the elite, there are lot's of choices out there and 70k camaros with limited creature comforts will turn a % of buyers off on principal alone.

I am going with slightly higher price point than ZL1,say 57k- that doesn't include "got to be the first kid on the block with one" silly mark up.

LateBrakeU2:
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Let's hope this is the approach GM will take.
carman II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #268
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carman II View Post
LateBrakeU2:
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Let's hope this is the approach GM will take.
Let's hope we are both right, because I am one of those guys that will buy one if 's realistically priced, and take a pass if not. It's a bad azz car- never thought i'd see the day an LS7 would be offered in a Camaro and it's going to be a very collectable car for that reason along with the re intro of the Z28 RPO.
Still, as much of a value and bang for the buck as the 1LE is- if this one comes in at 30k higher than one of those it's at the oppostie end of bargain spectrum. It will be all the money, most will be driven to cars and coffee to be drooled over, few will be actually tracked, and even fewer still will ever be driven anywhere close to the limit of this cars capabilites. It's a purpose built road racer, 90% of owners will launch them same as ZL1's at the stoplight nationals like the kids do with AWD Subaru's. To each his own
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #269
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ1 View Post
Lets see what GM prices this Z28 at. I still think an overpriced stripped Camaro with no AC isn't going to fair well for most. I now live in the south west. Try driving in July/August when it's 115F withOUT AC and then come back and report to me how your Z28 feels.
I'm not getting a Z/28, I'm getting a 2SS/1LE that's going to share DD with my other car and taking it to the track on available weekends, because that is my choice and that is the best option available to me for a Camaro that GM offers.

The 2SS is going to have AC because it will serve a DD function and it will be my cruiser/track car. I am a noob at this, and with the 1LE package, it will help in my comfort level to adjust to driving on those road courses that I can get on. After a few years of experience, then I'll decide what changes in regards to a vehicle I will get, whether it be a Corvette or a Camaro.

There is nothing wrong with the GM cars that I have owned for the last decade, other than regular maintenance and last year I had a heater core replaced out of my 2006 Grand Prix (117,000 miles), other than that, it's been one of the better cars that I have owned.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #270
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
So for those that want a Z28 and not a Z/28 means we want it just because of a badge and to say hey look at me? Your wrong. For me, all I know of is a Z28. That's the era I was born in. If GM can make it so a Z28 and a Z/28 can coexist I'm all for it. Dodge has a similar thing with there Dodge R/T (luxury with the Hemi) and Dodge R/T (road and track package with the Hemi). I choose to get the Dodge R/T with the luxury and engine as I didn't feel the need for the track package when I have a Camaro.
So you saying there aren't people like that?

I lived through the 80's check my sig. I know what you are talking about. I would like to have a Z28 too, but this Z/28 is a serious car and my feeling is the intention for GM to create these cars are for people who have racing experience and to get them out and race them and conquer the tracks with them like in the beginning. This will create demand, because any of us that have that racing gene in us are going to lust after that car if it kicks butt on the circuit. I'm sure over the course of the year, we might hear the how and why GM is coming out with this halo car for a reason. My feeling is GM has something up it's sleeve in regard's to the Z/28 and we'll have to bide our time until the information gets out.

In the meantime, we'll have to wait to see if we can have some form of a Z28 in the near future.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #271
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
What would this Z28 be?
I would like to see it with an LT1(enhanced tune) with a CAI, optional cloth or leather Recaro's, optional AC, optional RS package, 1LE suspension, ZL1 or CTS-V brakes with SS brake lines, all necessary coolers, 4 square tire and wheel setup, optional electronic track pack info center (w/ hud) like the Mustangs have 48k loaded, 42 stripped.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #272
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
$56,550 (ZL1 Base)
-13,950 (LSA Engine)
+17,100 (LS7 Engine)
$59,700 (Z/28 Base)

And that's assuming the swap from Magnetic Ride control and all the amenities of the ZL1 are roughly equivalent in price to the suspension, seats, and difference in wiring harness price (which is really the only difference between the SS, ZL1 and Z/28). *See Note below.

So, call it $59,995 (which we all know that $5 makes a huge difference in people's perception of price/value) and there's your Base MSRP for the new Z/28.

*Note: What other differences are there in the two cars?
-The Z/28 rear seat construction by itself is probably less expensive to build than the ZL1/SS rear seat construction.
-The reduction in insulation is a reduction in price (albeit small).
-The difference in hood price (and other carbon fiber parts) is probably a significant cost difference from the ZL1 to the Z/28, which probably offsets the price difference of the Z/28 Recaro seats or the ceramic brakes.

And lets face it, if the Base MSRP is any higher than $60k, then the Camaro is beginning to encroach on Corvette pricing, which is probably not what Chevrolet/GM wants. I'm guessing Chevrolet wants a seamless transition from Camaro pricing to Corvette pricing, and I'm guessing the Base 2014 Corvette Stingray will still outperform the Base 2014 Camaro Z/28.

So, you'll end up with a lineup thusly:

$24,245 Camaro 1LS
$25,445 Camaro 2LS
$26,660 Camaro 1LT
$29,585 Camaro 2LT
$33,535 Camaro 1SS
$36,035 Camaro 1SS/1LE
$37,035 Camaro 2SS
$39,535 Camaro 2SS/1LE
$56,550 Camaro ZL1
$59,995 Camaro Z/28

$64,995 Corvette Stingray

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #273
wnt2gofst

Drives: all fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
$56,550 (ZL1 Base)
-13,950 (LSA Engine)
+17,100 (LS7 Engine)
$59,700 (Z/28 Base)

And that's assuming the swap from Magnetic Ride control and all the amenities of the ZL1 are roughly equivalent in price to the suspension, seats, and difference in wiring harness price (which is really the only difference between the SS, ZL1 and Z/28). *See Note below.

So, call it $59,995 (which we all know that $5 makes a huge difference in people's perception of price/value) and there's your Base MSRP for the new Z/28.

-The Z/28 rear seat construction by itself is probably less expensive to build than the ZL1/SS rear seat construction.
-The difference in hood price (and other carbon fiber parts) is probably a significant cost difference from the ZL1 to the Z/28, which probably offsets the price difference of the Z/28 Recaro seats or the ceramic brakes.

And lets face it, if the Base MSRP is any higher than $60k, then the Camaro is beginning to encroach on Corvette pricing, which is probably not what Chevrolet/GM wants. I'm guessing Chevrolet wants a seamless transition from Camaro pricing to Corvette pricing, and I'm guessing the Base 2014 Corvette Stingray will still outperform the Base 2014 Camaro Z/28.

$24,245 Camaro 1LS
$25,445 Camaro 2LS
$26,660 Camaro 1LT
$29,585 Camaro 2LT
$33,535 Camaro 1SS
$36,035 Camaro 1SS/1LE
$37,035 Camaro 2SS
$39,535 Camaro 2SS/1LE
$56,550 Camaro ZL1
$59,995 Camaro Z/28

I think the z28 is going to shit on the base stingray. Hell the ZL1 will. They predict 12.3's out the base stingray. At 450hp its not going to be a rocket ship. Best will be high 11's.

Just Another 700whp DD 5.0
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #274
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
$56,550 (ZL1 Base)
-13,950 (LSA Engine)
+17,100 (LS7 Engine)
$59,700 (Z/28 Base)

$24,245 Camaro 1LS
$25,445 Camaro 2LS
$26,660 Camaro 1LT
$29,585 Camaro 2LT
$33,535 Camaro 1SS
$36,035 Camaro 1SS/1LE
$37,035 Camaro 2SS
$39,535 Camaro 2SS/1LE
$56,550 Camaro ZL1
$59,995 Camaro Z/28

I sure hope the Stingray doesn't start at 64,995..
Old 04-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #275
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
$62,828.28

Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #276
G8GT4now

Drives: 14 SS Sedan
Quote:
$56,550 (ZL1 Base)
-13,950 (LSA Engine)
+17,100 (LS7 Engine)
$59,700 (Z/28 Base)

:
I think you are leaving out the high cost of those carbon ceramic brakes on the Z/28.
G8GT4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #277
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GT4now View Post
I think you are leaving out the high cost of those carbon ceramic brakes on the Z/28.
and the 3K dollar tires, and the wheels,
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #278

Drives: Cadillac on four flats
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GT4now
Exactly! People need to come back down to reality. Those Carbon Ceramic brakes are not cheap (Ask the ZR1 guys how much a brake job cost). If you are on the fence about price, more than likely you cannot afford it (especially when you think it will be less than low 50k). Base price is one thing but when you have a lot of exotic materials on a car, running cost and maintenance will be even more expensive.

My guess is MSRP: $59,995.
Loading..... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #279
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
The struts/shocks are pretty exotic too....

Recaro's are ~$3000 option on CTS-V. Different seat than the Z/28 seats, but with the rear seat mod, it may be higher cost.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #280
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I sure hope the Stingray doesn't start at 64,995..
I think you're right. Considering how much overlap there already is in the pricing of the Corvettes and Camaros, I'm guessing that should actually be $54,995.

Or do you think less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GT4now View Post
Okay, give me a difference in price between the ZL1 brake system and the new Z/28 brake system.

In other words, find a dollar value for the ZL1 brake system, then estimate a dollar value of the carbon ceramic system that's planned, and determine a dollar value difference, and I'll throw it on my estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
and the 3K dollar tires, and the wheels,
How much do you think the ZL1 tires and wheels cost? Or do you honestly believe the Z/28 wheels and tires cost $3,000 more than the current ZL1 wheels and tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loading..... View Post
Exactly! People need to come back down to reality. Those Carbon Ceramic brakes are not cheap (Ask the ZR1 guys how much a brake job cost). If you are on the fence about price, more than likely you cannot afford it (especially when you think it will be less than low 50k). Base price is one thing but when you have a lot of exotic materials on a car, running cost and maintenance will be even more expensive.

My guess is MSRP: $59,995.
Wait, so, you're saying my estimate was not based in reality, and yet you came up with the same MSRP as me?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote