Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Ass kisser.
I was going to say the same, you beat me. lol
Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #16
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
I figured a visual might help people out. From http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te.../photo_04.html

UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #17
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
this is a great thread by a superbly intelligent human being. I wish I was as smart as Spike. I can only bask in the light of his automotive knowledge.
what the?!?!
how the heck did you...

...wait!! when did you become a mod?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
thanks zebra. that really means a lot coming from you.
you had to stretch pretty far for that one, didn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Ass kisser.
trust me... it wasn't like that when i hit submit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
I was going to say the same, you beat me. lol
wait... who are you?
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #18
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
lol I know. I saw your original.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:29 AM   #19
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
What will the effect of changing a cam be on engine life?

I spoke with Mast Motorsports about their stage 1 (least Aggressive) cam which is designed to be used in conjunction with a supercharger. They told me any cam switch requires replacing the valve springs for proper engine wear. I also spoke with Ron at vengeance racing and he recommends changing the springs at 30,000 mile intervals.

I intend to supercharge this engine. I am tempted for the price/performance gain to start by first replacing the cam. I don't want to lose the bottom or mid-range acceleration. I also don't want to damage the engine. I've read everything I can find, but don't understand it well enough yet. I have been following pharmMD's build, which is along the lines of what I intend to do.

Any recommendations?
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 AM   #20
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
good stuff
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #21
Rikarus
I can't tpye!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Victory Red
So what is the gross lift on the LS3 cam?

I know it lists lift .552/.525 but the LS3 uses 1.7 rockers, so the gross lift on the cam is .325/.308?

Just curious becasue I am speculating on what cams are being run to in aftermarket apps.
Rikarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #22
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Still working it out in my head...

Great info Spike!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #23
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
Ok guys I was thinking about a cam, I have almost decided to do nearly everything besides forced induction. I don't know anything about cams but I saw ADM offers stage one and stage two and I was leaning towards stage 2 type of cam. I don't want the very first step and I don't want an extreme. I also want to keep the engine as safe as possible, I was told I needed to upgrade springs and the pushrods. Do the springs need to be changed every 30,000 like an above person mentioned? Is there any other info you can give me or any suggestions? Car will be a daily driver but that doesn't mean a lot of mileage, it will never see track or strip but I still want to make it a beast.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #24
SSINSTR
Michelin Man Assassin

Drives: '10 IBM 2SS/RS LS3
Great info indeed, ya learn something new every day! That picture that usedtohavea68 posted was helpful as well for us visual people.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #25
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
The 30,000 mile valve spring change was mentioned to me. I have no experience with cams so please don't take it as fact necessarily.
I was hoping to get recommendations from the more knowledgeable members here. If this isn't the appropriate thread for this, then I apologize.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #26
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
The 30,000 mile valve spring change was mentioned to me. I have no experience with cams so please don't take it as fact necessarily.
I was hoping to get recommendations from the more knowledgeable members here. If this isn't the appropriate thread for this, then I apologize.
I knew what you were saying and I also was juust trying to get the most info and best directions to proceed.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #27
RonC

Drives: 2010 2SS - RS
How about posting up all the specs of the stock LS3 and L99 cams. Hopefully someone out there knows this. It would be good to see what lift, duration, LSA, overlap and installed ICL the factory cams we have are to start with.

Knowing how and why the cam specs effect performance really helps to select the right cam for your car. A smaller cam that makes "more average power" will be more enjoyable to drive for most people.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #28
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
what the?!?!
how the heck did you...

...wait!! when did you become a mod?!

what....? I'm a mod? NO WAY!!!!

you had to stretch pretty far for that one, didn't you?

lol

sure it wasn't....

Quote:
What will the effect of changing a cam be on engine life?

I spoke with Mast Motorsports about their stage 1 (least Aggressive) cam which is designed to be used in conjunction with a supercharger. They told me any cam switch requires replacing the valve springs for proper engine wear. I also spoke with Ron at vengeance racing and he recommends changing the springs at 30,000 mile intervals.

I intend to supercharge this engine. I am tempted for the price/performance gain to start by first replacing the cam. I don't want to lose the bottom or mid-range acceleration. I also don't want to damage the engine. I've read everything I can find, but don't understand it well enough yet. I have been following pharmMD's build, which is along the lines of what I intend to do.

Any recommendations?

I will say that Mast Motorsports knows their isht with AFM motors.

they are dead on that ANY cam swap requires upgrading the springs to match. now, that being said, some "hot cams" can be run with stock springs, but most times you are running right at the max lift the spring can take. which is why its always a good idea to upgrade the rest of the valvetrain when doing a cam swap.

but start a new thread and copy your post in it and I'll be over there to comment. I would answer here, but things will get muddied up if I answered everyone's questions in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikarus View Post
So what is the gross lift on the LS3 cam?

I know it lists lift .552/.525 but the LS3 uses 1.7 rockers, so the gross lift on the cam is .325/.308?

Just curious becasue I am speculating on what cams are being run to in aftermarket apps.
I've got the lift #'s for the LS3 somewhere, give me a sec and I'll throw them in.

ive got them for the L99

Camshaft Lobe Lift - Exhaust - Non Active Fuel Management Cylinders
7.48 mm
0.294 in

Camshaft Lobe Lift - Exhaust - Active Fuel Management Cylinders
7.61 mm
0.300 in

Camshaft Lobe Lift - Intake - Non Active Fuel Management Cylinders
7.48 mm
0.294 in

Camshaft Lobe Lift - Intake - Active Fuel Management Cylinders
7.61 mm
0.300 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
Ok guys I was thinking about a cam, I have almost decided to do nearly everything besides forced induction. I don't know anything about cams but I saw ADM offers stage one and stage two and I was leaning towards stage 2 type of cam. I don't want the very first step and I don't want an extreme. I also want to keep the engine as safe as possible, I was told I needed to upgrade springs and the pushrods. Do the springs need to be changed every 30,000 like an above person mentioned? Is there any other info you can give me or any suggestions? Car will be a daily driver but that doesn't mean a lot of mileage, it will never see track or strip but I still want to make it a beast.

start a new thread and we'll talk.

Quote:

I've heard of the 30,000 mile spring change but ive never seen anyone do it. (with the exception of swapping to a better spring/cam setup in general) As long as you get the proper springs to begin with, you shouldnt need to swap them every 30,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
How about posting up all the specs of the stock LS3 and L99 cams. Hopefully someone out there knows this. It would be good to see what lift, duration, LSA, overlap and installed ICL the factory cams we have are to start with.

Knowing how and why the cam specs effect performance really helps to select the right cam for your car. A smaller cam that makes "more average power" will be more enjoyable to drive for most people.

I'll be adding the specs for the L99 and the LS3 stock cams in a little bit.

and the last part that I highlighted is

a broad power curve with less peak power is more pleasant for a street/strip/dd setup. for a pure race car, you want more power in the top end, since that is where you will be spending most of the time at.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cam