Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #15
camarokidd

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Use a scan tool and see what the IAT sensor is reading. Should be a bit higher than ambient. If it's reading like -20F, there is your problem.

A big change when disconnecting the MAF, would have meant a MAF problem. The car should idle relatively the same with the MAF plugged in or out. With the MAF unplugged, the ECM uses an air weight grams per second calculation instead of the actual measurement off the hot wire. The calc is ofter very close to actual, whichiswhy there shouldn't be much change. Often when someone has a bad MAF...it won't idle or won't start... then when unplugging the MAF it starts and idles fine...but with a MAF DTC.
I checked that yesterday on OBD Auto Doctor. The IAT sensor was reading 38 degrees celsius pretty steadily. It was pretty hot out yesterday.

It also seemed to get a few degrees cooler when I held the RPM's at 2,000, which I'm guessing is normal since there is more air moving over the sensor, thus cooling it off.

Perhaps it's the TB itself, which is a hefty $338 at the dealership, with only one in stock for my car. Or maybe I just need to be more patient and drive it around more

1994 Pontiac Trans Am GT
(Non OP)
camarokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #16
camarokidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressh View Post
I had this same problem, You will need to have your mechanic do what is called a "crank Relearn" procedure, it can be accessed by GM techs or if you have any friends with a Snap on computer.
Would any dealership do this to a car with mods? I'm gonna assume it went back to normal after the crank relearn procedure?

1994 Pontiac Trans Am GT
(Non OP)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #17
cypressh
Canadian

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarokidd View Post
Would any dealership do this to a car with mods? I'm gonna assume it went back to normal after the crank relearn procedure?
The dealer should be able to do it, but be prepared to pay for it. Literally right after I did the Crank relearn the car went back to normal. no more hanging RPM. I literally did Exactly what you did. Cleaned the throttle body cause it looked like poop, and pushed the blade and didnt think 2 bits about it.
cypressh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #18
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
i had the same issue, my tuner ended up having to replace my throttle body. you still under warranty?

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #19
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
So,
How do you clean the TB without screwing it up?

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #20
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
here's one for sale, just posted today: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532127
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #21
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm rat View Post
So,
How do you clean the TB without screwing it up?
At work I use a cleaner sprayed into a rag. I manually push the blade open and scrub away. It takes a bit longer but it prevents the cleaner from soaking into places it wouldn't be good.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #22
camarokidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressh View Post
The dealer should be able to do it, but be prepared to pay for it. Literally right after I did the Crank relearn the car went back to normal. no more hanging RPM. I literally did Exactly what you did. Cleaned the throttle body cause it looked like poop, and pushed the blade and didnt think 2 bits about it.
It seems my RPM's keep getting lower and lower. Yesterday morning they were hanging at 1,800. By the afternoon they were hanging at 1,400. This morning on my drive to work they were hanging at 1,000. I hope it just keeps going down and becomes normal again, I really don't want to spend money on a 'fix' that I've been saving for a dyno tune.

1994 Pontiac Trans Am GT
(Non OP)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #23
camarokidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 608RS View Post
i had the same issue, my tuner ended up having to replace my throttle body. you still under warranty?
Unfortunately no, I'm at 66,000 miles as of today. I hope it resolves itself so I don't have to replace it or take it to the dealer.

1994 Pontiac Trans Am GT
(Non OP)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #24
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
At work I use a cleaner sprayed into a rag. I manually push the blade open and scrub away. It takes a bit longer but it prevents the cleaner from soaking into places it wouldn't be good.
I thought pushing the blade open manually was a bad thing??

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #25
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm rat View Post
I thought pushing the blade open manually was a bad thing??
I haven't broken any yet, going on 11 years. Since I started with GM I have done countless TPS repairs on TBs that were originally not meant to come apart. Part of the replacement is to manually open, and hold open the plate until you can remove the clipped on TPS and replace. Its under special coverage 11273B.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #26
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Make sure there is a gasket or o-ring on the MAF where it connects to the air tube and its tight....Throttle body tight, airbox/tube connections tight.....as it could be a problem from your pedal also...the little potentiometer that delays the instant response of the drive by wire. They have been also known to be and along with maybe a bad MAF but the age of your car is not when the bad MAFs were out there though ..? A missing gasket for the MAF, loose tube connection, loose TB, or even some thing like loose catch can not tight can all make things fluctuate for idle. Hopefully any residue is working its way off if you over sprayed things fouling sensors. Hell I do a hours long cleaning of my air filter..LOL with oiling and then that's when I do the MAF as it has forever to dry out waiting for the filter to dry completely .
Old 06-27-2018, 02:05 PM   #27
camarokidd

Update:

So it seems after about 1,000 miles of driving the car is driving normal again. I'm both relieved and frustrated it took so long, but at least I didn't have to replace any new parts, and now I have an extra set of intake manifold gaskets for the LSXR manifold I hope to be purchasing soon!

Thank you guys for the input and suggestions, seems I need to work some more on my patience.

1994 Pontiac Trans Am GT
(Non OP)
Old 06-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #28
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarokidd View Post
Update:

So it seems after about 1,000 miles of driving the car is driving normal again. I'm both relieved and frustrated it took so long, but at least I didn't have to replace any new parts, and now I have an extra set of intake manifold gaskets for the LSXR manifold I hope to be purchasing soon!

Thank you guys for the input and suggestions, seems I need to work some more on my patience.
glad it all seems to have sorted itself out! get the mid-length runners if you plan on adding a cam. if you are going to stay on the stock cam you are better off getting a rod-mod manifold
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote