Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Who here has moved their engine over due to header clearance?

Just installed long tubes in my car. The drivers side has a ton of clearance (even with the rubber boot on the steering shaft) and the passenger side sits about 1/8" off the frame rail causing the tube to bounce off of it at low RPM. I know people dimple the tubes or whatever but I'd prefer to shift the engine over. Looking for the best method or info. thanks
Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Some headers sit close. A dimple is usually the best option. You won't want to change the angle of the engine.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
If your motor mounts are not shot then That is a problem with some headers that were not made quite right so they fit . What brand of headers are they ? I have installed many sets of headers on 5th gens and all slid right in if the motor mounts are good . I would contact the manufacturer and tell him the headers they sold you are out of spec and have them replace them . You paid good money for a set of NON HAMMER FIT HEADERS .
Old 06-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
If your motor mounts are not shot then That is a problem with some headers that were not made quite right so they fit . What brand of headers are they ? I have installed many sets of headers on 5th gens and all slid right in if the motor mounts are good . I would contact the manufacturer and tell him the headers they sold you are out of spec and have them replace them . You paid good money for a set of NON HAMMER FIT HEADERS .

I second this. I have seen more header posts than I have ever wanted being on this site, and never heard about anyone hitting on the passenger side. If anything, it's the steering knuckle that you have lots of room around. Could be 2 things

1) Engine was already moved over for some reason, or was possibly off a bit from factory? Would explain why you have room around steering shaft, but not on other side

2) The header was not made exactly right and is off enough to cause issues. Only solution would be get a replacement, or dimple your new header.
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I would get another set of headers. My 1 7/8" Speed Engineering long tubes had plenty of clearance, what manufacturer & size did you install? Don't move the motor.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
pnwdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
I second this. I have seen more header posts than I have ever wanted being on this site, and never heard about anyone hitting on the passenger side. If anything, it's the steering knuckle that you have lots of room around. Could be 2 things

1) Engine was already moved over for some reason, or was possibly off a bit from factory? Would explain why you have room around steering shaft, but not on other side
my exact thinking because its wide open on the steering side

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
I would get another set of headers. My 1 7/8" Speed Engineering long tubes had plenty of clearance, what manufacturer & size did you install? Don't move the motor.
Quote:
Speed Engineering and their response via email is that my 38k mile enging mounts must be shot..
Old 06-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
pnwdan

This is where it is hitting
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
GONIF

I would not dimple them , I would make sure your motor mounts are not shot . There are many out there who beat up a set of motor mounts in 38000 miles by hole shots, aggressive up and down shifts and track days , so check that first . If the motor mounts are good then the headers are out of spec and need to be replaced . You paid for new in spec headers and you should not have to modify them to fit .
Old 06-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
my speed engineering lt's hit my steering knuckle on long right hand turns. i found out that my motor mounts were shot so i replaced them and i dimpled the header around the steering knuckle for clearance.

so far everything is gravy
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #10
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Just mark the tube and dimple it, no big deal. There is no negative power effects from the dimple.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #11
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
Just mark the tube and dimple it, no big deal. There is no negative power effects from the dimple.
That may very well be true , but he paid good money for a direct fit set of headers . He should get in spec quality that fit without dimpling for his money. If the Manufacturer sent out of spec headers they should give him a discount or replace them with in spec direct fit headers. What brand of headers are they ? IMHO the manufacture should know so they can correct the problem and stop shipping out of spec headers . If they have a QC problem , it needs to be addressed .

Last edited by GONIF; 06-21-2018 at 05:54 PM.
GONIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #12
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
That may very well be true , but he paid good money for a direct fit set of headers . He should get in spec quality that fit without dimpling for his money. If the Manufacturer sent out of spec headers they should give him a discount or replace them with in spec direct fit headers. What brand of headers are they ? IMHO the manufacture should know so they can correct the problem and stop shipping out of spec headers . If they have a QC problem , it needs to be addressed .
True!
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #13
RedTexasSS

Drives: 2012 SS Red w/ black rally stripes
That's exactly where my right side header was touching the frame when I installed my TSP 1 7/8 inch headers. When installed there was a space between the header and frame. Did not think it would be a problem but when driving and turning it would make an awful noise when vibrating against the frame. I felt like same as others, I did not buy headers to beat on them with a hammer. At first TSP did not want to replace the header since I has started the car with the headers installed. After some discussion, they sent me another header, it fit perfectly. They are a great set of headers. Kudos to TSP for standing behind their product.
2012 SS Camaro, Victory Red w/black rally stripes, SLP front splitter, ZL1 Rocker panels, ZL1 Add-ons Stealth Wickerbill, L99, Magnuson Heartbeat supercharger, 65 lb. injectors, 87 mm pulley, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM,1 7/8 Texas Speed long tube headers, v-max ported throttle body, Rotofab cold air intake with Apex scoop, Apex catch can, MSD plug wires, AEM AFR and Boost gauges, GPI SS1 VVT Cam, HP tuners with remote tune by Ryan at GPI, Solo axleback exhaust w/j pipes and stock resonator.
RedTexasSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #14
pnwdan

I went home last night and tore into this thing. I loosened mounts and pried that engine all over. Couldn't get it to stay shifted enough. I gave up on that idea quick...

I loosened all of the hardware and tried to re situate the whole exhaust. Couldn't get much more clearance...

I finally just dropped the header out again and put a tiny flat spot where it was tapping the frame. BFH and some patience..Problem solved...

I hated doing it but after the half a$$ response from the manufacturer about how it must be my almost new 38k mile engine mount causing the issue, I was not going to waste my time trying to get blood out of a turnip by trying to explain to them how things can actually be made wrong even in their perfect welding jig the say they have.

In the end they are super cheap by comparison to all other brands so I don't feel that bad about it. They are still overall the best bang for the buck even if you have to fix them unconventionally. The flat spot is so small that you cant even see it from up top and the car runs great. I still would recommend them to anyone that doesn't mind putting in a bit of effort to save some cash. Just don't plan on any customer service.

On a side note, anyone that tries to tell you that running headers and no cats is "only a tiny bit louder" is deaf. I have the NPP exhaust and these things make my car a monster. I love it. I don't think my neighbors like the 4:30 am cold starts though ha ha..