Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #15
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
That may very well be true , but he paid good money for a direct fit set of headers . He should get in spec quality that fit without dimpling for his money. If the Manufacturer sent out of spec headers they should give him a discount or replace them with in spec direct fit headers. What brand of headers are they ? IMHO the manufacture should know so they can correct the problem and stop shipping out of spec headers . If they have a QC problem , it needs to be addressed .

Nothing is an exact fit....unless you machine it yourself. Despite their claims, all these headers are mass produced. Many sets of SW, ARH and Kooks have been dimpled. Yet my OBX fit fine. It's what it is. OP, you can wast a lot of time and throw all kinds of money at it just to have them still hit. Dimple and be done.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #16
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
There should be a sticky on here for companies that are shipping out of spec products and refuse to remedy the problem so others here don't get taken advantage of .A simple list of the offenders products that don't deliver as promised .
Old 06-22-2018, 05:46 PM   #17
PFL

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
This is where it is hitting
this confirms the quality of engineering speed is falling. 2 friends bought the headers and both came with clearance failure on the direct side, just like the photo. the 3 "inch bracket definitely does not seal the leak is unpleasant.the solution was unfortunately to make a tooth in the header, and buy replacement bracket on ebay.
these failures is probably the number of requests in this header. they are not of the same quality.
PFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #18
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post

Nothing is an exact fit....unless you machine it yourself. Despite their claims, all these headers are mass produced. Many sets of SW, ARH and Kooks have been dimpled. Yet my OBX fit fine. It's what it is. OP, you can wast a lot of time and throw all kinds of money at it just to have them still hit. Dimple and be done.
This isn't rocket science ,the Camaro is a mas produced car and not a hand built one off car . As such a part made to fit it should fit without modification . The headers are out of spec . It is a quality control issue . Even the best company can have a issue ,but a real first class company will correct the problem and replace it so the customer doesn't have to monkey rig it up to work .
Old 06-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #19
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
This isn't rocket science ,the Camaro is a mas produced car and not a hand built one off car . As such a part made to fit it should fit without modification . The headers are out of spec . It is a quality control issue . Even the best company can have a issue ,but a real first class company will correct the problem and replace it so the customer doesn't have to monkey rig it up to work .
Agreed. Working in aerospace for 22 years even I know that sometimes quality slips. A good company will take care of it's customer. Either way, I was fortunate to only have to make a tiny flat on the tube. It works for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #20
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Moving the engine will cause way more issues than either fixing the mounts, dimpling, or replacing will cause. I would be absolutely sure the mounts are good then ask for replacement. Failing them replacing them I would just dimple them and move on with life.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #21
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Another reason to “over pay” for American made headers. Good luck OP. Don’t move the engine though, as stated above it will cause far more problems than what it is worth.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #22
pnwdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Moving the engine will cause way more issues than either fixing the mounts, dimpling, or replacing will cause. I would be absolutely sure the mounts are good then ask for replacement. Failing them replacing them I would just dimple them and move on with life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Another reason to “over pay” for American made headers. Good luck OP. Don’t move the engine though, as stated above it will cause far more problems than what it is worth.
If you read the thread, I did handle it with a simple flat on the tube.

As far as over paying.. even people who pay for high end headers have had issues. The difference being is how the company responds apparently. I can tell you though I'd rather pay $300 for headers and have to mess around a little bit then pay 3-4 times more for no reason other than the possibility of having to have better customer service experience. I'm sure some people feel the same and some feel different. In the end they do the job and look good installed so it's all good.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:43 AM   #23
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
If you read the thread, I did handle it with a simple flat on the tube.

As far as over paying.. even people who pay for high end headers have had issues. The difference being is how the company responds apparently. I can tell you though I'd rather pay $300 for headers and have to mess around a little bit then pay 3-4 times more for no reason other than the possibility of having to have better customer service experience. I'm sure some people feel the same and some feel different. In the end they do the job and look good installed so it's all good.

I did read it and I'm glad you got it straightened out. The "don't move the engine comment" was another reaffirmation of don't do that for someone who reads this thread down the road with the same idea you started out with.

As for the "over paid" high price headers, you don't get the frequency of issues that you do with budget headers. Yes the customer service is substantially better, but I didn't like having my car in the air in an already too tight garage any longer than I had to. Besides, I like buying American. I know it's silly or doesn't make much difference to many people, but it's what I like to do. So far all of my vehicle upgrades have been American made products. I'm a "job creator"!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #24
pnwdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I did read it and I'm glad you got it straightened out. The "don't move the engine comment" was another reaffirmation of don't do that for someone who reads this thread down the road with the same idea you started out with.

As for the "over paid" high price headers, you don't get the frequency of issues that you do with budget headers. Yes the customer service is substantially better, but I didn't like having my car in the air in an already too tight garage any longer than I had to. Besides, I like buying American. I know it's silly or doesn't make much difference to many people, but it's what I like to do. So far all of my vehicle upgrades have been American made products. I'm a "job creator"!
As a guy who works in American manufacturing, I am with you on that. Sometimes I cheap out and this is one of those times. Ha Ha
Old 06-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #25
Synner

Drives: cars
Do people who think shifting an engine 1/8" will cause major issues wear tin foil hats? Asking for a friend...
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #26
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Do people who think shifting an engine 1/8" will cause major issues wear tin foil hats? Asking for a friend...
An 1/8 of an inch won't make any damn diff unless your wearing a Stetson Diamante 1000x .
Old 06-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #27
pnwdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post

Old 06-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #28
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
I installed my set this past weekend. Didn't run into any clearance issues. The lowest clearance from tube to contact is .25".
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote