Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
OTK_Master
"FastBreak"

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS {1}
Turbo Kits/Reliability

Hi

Really new to this forum and tryna learn as much as I can. Any help is much appreciated.

Was wondering what turbo kits are available for the 2010 Camaro SS w/ LS3/6-Speed. So far I've seen Fastlane, and this:

http://www.turbo-kits.com/camaro_ss_turbo_kits.html

-Has anyone installed either, and have they had any issues with reliability, or performance

-Are there any kits I'm missing.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
I'd rather to reply to your question by saying spend some time reading through many posts to get a general view of vendors, products and direction than offer you a biased or none-biased opinion about a product/vendor.

Don't get influenced or make decision based on what people think or say, but rather do your own research.That would be my advice to someone whose new to the site.

p.s. Fastlane, is a very nice designed system. There are some new TT are coming too. Keep your eyes open for twins.
If you want to go crazy, ny friend Will at APF can set you up with Quad turbo
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Will@Apf

Drives: corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
I'd rather to reply to your question by saying spend some time reading through many posts to get a general view of vendors, products and direction than offer you a biased or none-biased opinion about a product/vendor.

Don't get influenced or make decision based on what people think or say, but rather do your own research.That would be my advice to someone whose new to the site.

p.s. Fastlane, is a very nice designed system. There are some new TT are coming too. Keep your eyes open for twins.
If you want to go crazy, ny friend Will at APF can set you up with Quad turbo
LOL NIce Z....
Will@Apf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTK_Master View Post
Hi

Really new to this forum and tryna learn as much as I can. Any help is much appreciated.

Was wondering what turbo kits are available for the 2010 Camaro SS w/ LS3/6-Speed. So far I've seen Fastlane, and this:

-Has anyone installed either, and have they had any issues with reliability, or performance

Turbos can be 100% reliable with good power. Like Z said, research it for a while. Do a search on this website under the power adders section. There are a bunch of forced induction threads there - turbos included, single and twin, top mount, bottom mount, rear mount.

Enjoy. ...and welcome to the site.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
dracer98
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange
see next post by me

Last edited by dracer98; 05-22-2010 at 09:40 PM.
dracer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracer98 View Post
OK - OTK asked for help and an opinion and rather then answer the question you guys say read all the other posts and threads? Thats like going to the dealer for help an guy telling you - well did you read the manual
This forum is not a dealership, but rather an encyclopedia of information. F/I requires knowledge and not someone handing you over the answer.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
This forum is not a dealership, but rather an encyclopedia of information. F/I requires knowledge and not someone handing you over the answer.
Come on - the guy just wants a few answers - it is disingenuous to tell him – just look it up
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
Come on - the guy just wants a few answers - it is disingenuous to tell him – just look it up
Alright!!! You want a kick ass TT? An experienced company who makes Turbo Kit is coming out with a nice TT kit for the Camaro (probably this one is even better than their Corvette kit, which has been great).
Here is the info:
http://www.turbotechnologyinc.com/site/

Here is the video:

This is not an advertisement, but TTi makes nice products!
Old 05-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
FastOil

Drives: none
Quote:
Alright!!! You want a kick ass TT? An experienced company who makes Turbo Kit is coming out with a nice TT kit for the Camaro (probably this one is even better than their Corvette kit, which has been great).
Here is the info:
http://www.turbotechnologyinc.com/site/

Here is the video:

This is not an advertisement, but TTi makes nice products!

the kits looks nicely built, although i dont like the intercooler placement/design to small and tucked behind the crash beam,, i am note sure if any one has done any testing on these but i am sure to say intake temps are looking to be high because of IC heat soak.

in a normally aspirated i dont care but on a boosted engine i want my temps to be as low as posible i make more power and less knock.

is there anyones out there using this kit,,, what were your results,,,, ??

i like the turbos Precision 62mm these are huge and they have 2 of them,, precision has had some issues some people dont like them,, some people complain about reliability of these turbos over Garrett cores,,,, however precision turbos specially the 62mm cores spool very quick.
FastOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastOil View Post
the kits looks nicely built, although i dont like the intercooler placement/design to small and tucked behind the crash beam,, i am note sure if any one has done any testing on these but i am sure to say intake temps are looking to be high because of IC heat soak.

in a normally aspirated i dont care but on a boosted engine i want my temps to be as low as posible i make more power and less knock.

is there anyones out there using this kit,,, what were your results,,,, ??

i like the turbos Precision 62mm these are huge and they have 2 of them,, precision has had some issues some people dont like them,, some people complain about reliability of these turbos over Garrett cores,,,, however precision turbos specially the 62mm cores spool very quick.
IC size and position is my biggest issue with this kit and if you look at this thread, you see my discussion with the designer from the start
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64335
Post # 44
Here is what I proposed to get the maximum exposure of air.

In the past, with one of my Turbo cars, I had been involved with the whole turbo setup and the IC position was the most important part to release the heat QUICKLY. In fact I designed my own water spray on the IC after each long boost period to get back quickly. This IC, is only 9 inches tall and 80% of it is blocked by the crash beam. I love every other part of this kit, especially the way the WG release merges with exhaust (the dump side). But I'm not sure how quick the IC can release the heat with a long boost.

I even suggested a different design, but George thinks this is efficient. I'll give 9 points to the rest of the kit and 5 to IC location.

Last edited by Z_Rocks; 05-22-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
ZZTOM

Drives: 67 Camaro 350, 2010 2SS
I have no interest in who is better, I will just give you my 2 cents on having one on my 2SS. First it's a twin turbo from Hellion, I have 1500+ miles on it so far and no problems so far. I live at 5500 altitude and I took it to C5fest in Ga. When driving in town in traffic just as normal as if you didn't have them, when you want it it"s there, no milage loss unless your heavy footed. As for reliability I see more and more factory cars coming out with them as they make your engine more "green". Like I said my 2cents.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
dracer98
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTK_Master View Post
Hi

OK - OTK asked for help and an opinion and rather than answer the question you guys say read all the other posts and threads? That’s like going to the dealer for help and the guy telling you - well did you read the manual

So< I will do what he asked and back it up with fact...The question is all about the various 2010 turbo options out there and how reliable can they be.

Today most turbo manufactures make very reliable products - That is not to be confused by the various kit makers. You have many choices and types:

Single top mount
Double top mount
Single bottom mount
Double bottom mount
and some call the muffler turbo type another option

You asked about Fastlane so you already know they offer a single top mount system.
Turbonetics has also developed a single top mount that they claim will ultimately by 50 state legal
Single top mount systems require a cross over pipe that merges all the exhaust flow and energy into the "hot side" of the turbocharger. You basically take all the heat that is radiating out of the heads which is also known as energy and channel it into the turbo.

Twin turbo top mount -
FLP, early on, developed a twin turbo kit that had top mount turbos. If 1 top mount turbo makes heat in the wrong spot then 2 top mount turbos are double trouble. In the case of FLP, it could be quite possibly the most unprofessional kit ever made. It looks like a kindergartener built it. It gives all turbo kits a bad name. This is the only kit I know of that puts the turbos up in your face.

Why I don't particularly care for the top mount design - Like I said it puts all that heat off the cylinder heads right over the valve cover (s) or better said, in the immediate surrounding area of where it is mounted. Take for example the new Turbonetics kit coming down the pike. It mounts the turbo in a location very similar to the Fastlane kit but angles it a slight bit differently a lower in the frame. In other words if the turbo on the Fastlane kit is mounted at 1 0-clock then Turbonetics mounts the turbo at a little less than 2 0-clock and shoves it forward a few inches to keep heat off the front of the engine dress.

Fastlane makes claims that the factory (General Motors) mounts their turbos up high which is actually not the case. But it is a different story for a different thread. Like they say everyone has an opinion on the subject and my opinion is - Don't ever mount a turbocharger with super hot exhaust right next to the spark plug wires, the coils, the valve covers, ABS unit and the likes. You ask why companies do it then. Simple Turbonetics tells you they would prefer to run twins but there is no way to accomplish that 50 state legally. Meaning the law states you cannot move or alter the cats at all. In fact all you guys that purchase bigger after market cats for your cars with headers are still breaking the law. Look it up if you think I am wrong. There is no such thing as a 50 state legal aftermarket performance catalytic converter. Scratch that – if you have over 50,000 miles on your car and you need new cats then you can change them... While changing them, nothing stops you from going bigger. But for the most parts it is not legal. Back to business – Turbonetics marries the exhaust at the front and mounts the single turbo high because in order to build a Y pipe AFTER THE FACTORY CATALYTICs there is no way to get a big enough single turbo under the car. So, it ends up high. Fastlane obviously has the ability to build a twin just as easy as they did the single but I would surmise now that they are pushing the big single it would be a conflicting story to push a twin. Especially when they know the twins can easily make more power in a better package – by package I mean space.

That leads us to Single turbo mounted under the car – like I said – it just doesn’t package right. Sure you could probably wedge a 60mm turbo under the car in the proximity of the front end but the turbo is only good enough to make roughly 550hp at a very high boost - this would not be optimal to say the least.

You could take the STS route and mount a big single towards the back but while your back there you may as well go duels – which is exactly what they do.

So let’s talk about twin muffler type turbos, aka the STS version, when all else fails every car manufacture makes room for a muffler – if there is space for the muffler there is space to take it out and drop in a turbo or 2. That must be STS’s motto. On the dyno, the STS kit proves that a turbo does not really mind pumping through a maze of piping in order to ultimately pressurize the engine. So what is the draw back to the STS method – Turbo lag(The time required to bring the turbo up to a speed where it can function effectively by compressing air into the engine (aka) lag is the delay between the instant a car's accelerator is depressed and the time the turbocharger take to make boost and some would say full boost.)Whenever you talk to “anti-turbo” people they want to talk about turbo lag. A better definition would be boost lag – and boost lag can be measured in any compressor application. Certainly the centrifugal blower companies can’t preach about lag because they blowers make boost based solely on engine RPM – that means the turbo makes peak boost sooner and maintains it longer than a centrifugal. The Magnuson, Kenne Bell, Whipple crowd make boost sooner than the turbo and carry it through out the engine RPM but it comes at the cost of crank HP robbed to spin the unit. –

Back on track – The STS kit has more lag then most other twin and single turbo kits because the farther you put the turbos from the exhaust discharge of the heads the more time it makes to get them up in their sweet spot – this is also known as PUMPING LOSS –

Foot Note - Although a turbo's position in the exhaust stream does restrict exhaust flow potential to some extent, the pumping losses are much less than the parasitic drag induced by a conventional supercharger's belt or gears. In a typical gasoline-fueled engine, it's common to see 30 out of every 100 hp added by a belt driven supercharger being wasted turning the drive pulleys and belts; this compares to about 5-10 hp per every 100 suffered as pumping losses by a typically well-designed turbo installation.

Interesting to note: Considered as a system, a good twin turbo setup has less heat buildup than a large single turbo system. Additionally, the twin turbo setup has less heat buildup than a Magnuson/Kenne Bell/Whipple type blower, and its smaller size compared to a centrifugal supercharger permits higher compressor-wheel rotational speeds and more radical blade-tip curvature that collectively translate into greater pumping efficiency. A large single turbo system radiates heat more in line with that of a non intercooled centrifugal type.

The Twin Turbo set up is often perceived as complex and difficult to install over other systems but that is simply not the case. Sure you need a hoist, lift and or jack stands to install it but once installed it is the most maintenance free and trouble free of them all and that was the real first question – Reliability!.

So let’s talk about all the twin turbo set ups out there:

Granatelli Motor Sports – Everyone Pretty much agrees they have the nicest looking kit out there – should I say just released kit out there They run PTS turbos which are considered to best in the business and I have firsthand knowledge that the PTS 6265 turbo feed 600hp each at moderated boost levels – so this kit is what they say Able to go from Mild to Wild! How can you go wrong with Granatelli, everything they put their minds to usually is top notch – they work with Turbo Tech - that just gives this kit the 1 -2 punch over the rest in my book

Hellion Turbo Systems – They claim to also be shipping and they use 58mm Turbonetics turbos. Turbonetics put a 1 year warranty on all their turbos so that should add some piece of mind. The reviews on these guys are also pretty good so far – although you gotta wonder why they sell turbo kits but race at the track with Centrifugal stuff.

STS – we talked about them. Not sure if a want to spend 8 to 10k for a system that put the air filter right behind the rear tires but I am sure there must be a shroud for that – just not show in the pictures. But again it has the lag issue – good thing about the STS kit, the turbos come after the factory cats so they are as close to 50 state legal as you can get. – If power is not the first priority and you don’t worry about the turbos vacuuming up water from what gets thrown off the tires, this a great system as well

There are other players out there too – you just don’t hear as much because they are not quite there yet.

So while other want to tell you to “look it up” or “make your own choice” I hope this helps you in a cliff notes kind of way.

You can’t go wrong with forced induction on your Camaro and the choices are plenty

Last edited by dracer98; 05-22-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #13
dracer98
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks Mr. Mo-ree-agee. Now where is the fortune cookie

Last edited by dracer98; 05-22-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracer98 View Post
So while other want to tell you to “look it up” or “make your own choice” I hope this helps you in a cliff notes kind of way

Maaaaaan!