Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Some perspective on the filter size. Halltech on the left and CAI on the right.
Attached Images

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #30
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Some perspective on the filter size. Halltech on the left and CAI on the right.
I think the bigger filter, along with the bigger box, is a advantage in the "avaliable air" dept. Add in the big radius'd intake mouth and one piece tube to make one of the top two intakes.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #31
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I think the bigger filter, along with the bigger box, is a advantage in the "avaliable air" dept. Add in the big radius'd intake mouth and one piece tube to make one of the top two intakes.
And now need the scoop and washer bottle from Apex. But I wonder how much performance feel is had from the scoop, or just from unblocking the air path and cutting the splash shield to let in more air?. Friend noticed the scoop at freeway speeds in 6th gear but not around town or lower speeds. Of course if supposed to be a ram air device usually 60+ is where they start.

Any thoughts?
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #32
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
And now need the scoop and washer bottle from Apex. But I wonder how much performance feel is had from the scoop, or just from unblocking the air path and cutting the splash shield to let in more air?. Friend noticed the scoop at freeway speeds in 6th gear but not around town or lower speeds. Of course if supposed to be a ram air device usually 60+ is where they start.

Any thoughts?
When I tried the Halltech the first time around it was ok. Adding the scoop made a big difference in daily driving.

This afternoon I pulled the Halltech off and installed a CAI. My intention was to put my scoop and washer bottle kit on as well. Before starting work, I shined a light in through the grille area that I previously cut out for my first scoop. There was more access to air than I figured. I'm trying it without the scoop but the stock bottle in place. So far I'm liking what I'm finding. That said, when I get ready to put my summer wheels/tires back on the scoop will be installed.

In stock form, there is limited access to air no matter the intake. At minimum, removing that piece behind the grille is helpful.imo

Here is my dyno. For all practical purposes it's a Halltech with scoop.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=back+dyno

She is only memory now.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #33
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post

Any thoughts?
I"m not a fan of the phrase "ram air" since it can be taken a number of way. Yes it will ram air in the sense that it will direct airflow towards the intake filter. It will absolutely NOT ram air into your engine. That being said, the added availability of air around the filter can do nothing but help, at any speed. The higher the speed, the more air the engine needs, and the more air is being directed to the intake filter. It all goes together.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 03-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #34
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
I"m not a fan of the phrase "ram air" since it can be taken a number of way. Yes it will ram air in the sense that it will direct airflow towards the intake filter. It will absolutely NOT ram air into your engine. That being said, the added availability of air around the filter can do nothing but help, at any speed. The higher the speed, the more air the engine needs, and the more air is being directed to the intake filter. It all goes together.
I agree, everyone advertizes "ram air" or turbo that to sell. the scoop more of a directional duct, but yeah, no ram there.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #35
SHWA

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS L99 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
I have the same one. The filter hits the hood blanket and has caused damage to it because it sticks up above the air box. Might want to check yours as it looks like it's going to do the same thing as mine. don't know what I'm going to do to fix it yet. Still overseas. Other than that, I think it's a great intake. Congrats.
I have the same issue and have had the CAI for a year and a half. I can not figure out how to adjust the top of the filter from hitting the hood liner. Can someone share what they did to adjust the fitment?

My issue is purley whith the filter and it seems that the box fitment is perfect.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHWA View Post
I have the same issue and have had the CAI for a year and a half. I can not figure out how to adjust the top of the filter from hitting the hood liner. Can someone share what they did to adjust the fitment?

My issue is purley whith the filter and it seems that the box fitment is perfect.

Thanks
There is a lot of adjustment. Just loosen the clamp on the tube end and rotate the filter until it is where you want it and tighten the clamp. But if your filter is hitting the hood blanket, my guess is you don't have the heatshield postioned correctly.

She is only memory now.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #37
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
There is a lot of adjustment. Just loosen the clamp on the tube end and rotate the filter until it is where you want it and tighten the clamp. But if your filter is hitting the hood blanket, my guess is you don't have the heatshield postioned correctly.

My guess is the heatshield is hitting something or on top of something causing it to be slightly higher than it's designed to be. That higher heatshield is causting the tube and the filter to angle upwards thus causing it to hit the hood blanket.

Check the heatshield and/or post some pics of how you have the heatshield and/or filter installed.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #38
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post

My guess is the heatshield is hitting something or on top of something causing it to be slightly higher than it's designed to be. That higher heatshield is causting the tube and the filter to angle upwards thus causing it to hit the hood blanket.

Check the heatshield and/or post some pics of how you have the heatshield and/or filter installed.
Absolutely agree with both these gentleman (using the word loosely )

Make sure the lower edge of the shield isn't hitting anything it shouldn't be hitting. It should be on the outside of the car rail and the AC lines should be running through their perspective cutouts. If it isn't doing both of the above, it will sit too high and cause the filter to hit the lining. As Indeed mentioned, make sure the tube isn't rotated up causing it to pull the shield up as well. Loosening at the TB and pushing down on the tube will tell you if that's the issue.

Caverman:
Did you make through the tornado's without any damage?
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 04-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #39
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Caverman:
Did you make through the tornado's without any damage?
Yes....no issues other than heavy rain in my area. I'm about 20 min from DFW airport which got hit hard with hail but it didn't hit here thankfully. Last August I got hit my a major hailstorm that caused $30k in damage to my house. I was keeping my fingers crossed to not go through that again.

Funny Camaro story though....I ran up to pull my kids out of school before the storm hit just in case. I had to drive my Camaro to get them. At that point there was no rain or anything. Just a bunch of nasty looking clouds. As I was waiting for my last son to walk up they were putting the school in lock down. Not releasing any kids and trying to make the parents go to a safe room. The whole time I was like Damnit!, they are going to keep me here and my car is going to be stuck out in the open. I was honestly sweating bullets about my car being outside and gettign hammered by hail. That's when my son came around the corner. I grabbed him up, ran out and was able to get home just in time before the strom hit.

I was lucky. No hail and the tornados touched down a good 40 - 60 miles from me.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #40
SHWA

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS L99 A6
Thanks for all of the input. I will look at everything again and try to take pictures this weekend if I dont figure it out in the mean time.

A big issue seems to be the front end of the air filter hitting a raised portion of the wheel well. Have you all had that issue?

Thanks again!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #41
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHWA View Post
Thanks for all of the input. I will look at everything again and try to take pictures this weekend if I dont figure it out in the mean time.

A big issue seems to be the front end of the air filter hitting a raised portion of the wheel well. Have you all had that issue?

Thanks again!
Yep, mine rests on the fendor cover.But still shouldnt rub on hood if the box is sitting down on the frame as intended.All cai's filters are close to the hood but dont touch.