Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
had my 2011 2SS two weeks, a few impressions

I had been looking a few months for a a 1SS auto, no sunroof or polished wheels and eneded up buying a 2011 2SS auto, sunroof with polished wheels.

Ive put 2700 miles on it in 2 weeks and made 4 passes at the track. I love the interior and exterior and think its an AWESOME car, but want to share some constructive criticizm.

I see very little value in the 2SS. i wish i would have just found a 1SS like I wanted.

*The added steering wheel controls are near useless and could be added to a 1SS. The radio is right there anyway, so I never use them.

*the leather seats are nice, but I dont really see they are that much greater than the cloth of the 1SS I drove. No need for the seat warmers since I wont drive it in winter anyway.

*Love the HUD and the auto transmission. Never had an auto sports car before, but really like it.

*I HATE HATE HATE the sunroof. I specifically was looking for one without one, but this one was in stock, so I bit the bullet. I regret that. It ruins the roof lines and I will never use it. What really pisses me off is that when I put my helmet on to run at the track, I didn't have enough headroom. My head was hitting the damn roof.

*this thing is a turd at the track. 4 runs and it went 14.1-2 every time. Granted it was 92* out, but still, I can't beleive it wouldn't run 13's. how embarrasing. it was nothing but stab and steer. non spinning off the line or anything.

*The ambient lighting is kinds cool, but I really don't care that much either way if it had it or not

*no automatic climate control in a car with a sticker price of 38,900 is lame.

*love the XM radio. I had sirius as an add on before and didn't like it. having XM integrated is nice.

*my 85 iroc handles better and its stock too not that the 2011 is bad, but think its kind funny.

*gas mileage is pretty good. 25-26 doing 70-75mph.

*I like the paddle shifters quite a bit. Don't use them a lot, but they are certainly useable. not really for WOT, but for downshifting and keeping RPM's down when accelerating for better mpg.

Awesome car, but I should have stuck to my guns and not spent the $$$ on a car when it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsdguru View Post
31000 for ss1 no options and who in the hell would buy a SS1 V6 for kids SS1 for girls LS3 the only way to go G8 Gxp 200lbs more my bad so lets think here 200lb more 27 less hp so 5 tenths slower now 373 gear now mabe 3tenths slower 4 door car sad so so sad
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Stormyone

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM M6
So why did you buy a car that was not what you wanted? So will you keep it or get rid of it?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
you sound a little hyper/nervous. Take a pill.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Your times are going to be high when its 92 degrees out. Also the dealership might have put 87 gas in your car. You might want to do the 5 and 20 fuse pull trick. its mentioned in the forums.

The new camaro definately out handles the old 80s camaros any day of the week. We have an 89 RS with the 305 and it doesnt even come close to the handling capabilities of the new one.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
nachocheese

Drives: 1LT RS, SIM
I don't care how hot it is, no way you should be running 14's. Shoot, there's modded V6's in the 13's now. Have you looked into the fuse pull? Maybe you got a tank full of 87 from the dealer.
nachocheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
ya i got a 1ss/rs for 31k!!!! with 2ss radio... deal or what with gm discount
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
R Kern
NFRNO SS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS M6
Polished wheels!
Old 07-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
383ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
Your times are going to be high when its 92 degrees out. Also the dealership might have put 87 gas in your car. You might want to do the 5 and 20 fuse pull trick. its mentioned in the forums.

The new camaro definately out handles the old 80s camaros any day of the week. We have an 89 RS with the 305 and it doesnt even come close to the handling capabilities of the new one.
sorry, in my opinion my 85 iroc handles better.

I know all about the fuse pull. I have put nothing but 91-93 octane in and pulled the fuses multiple times. I also have hptuners beta also and have been doing some AFM, PE and TM tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyone View Post
So why did you buy a car that was not what you wanted? So will you keep it or get rid of it?
I'm an idiot I guess. I will keep it at least a year. maybe special order a 2012 exactly how I want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachocheese View Post
I don't care how hot it is, no way you should be running 14's. Shoot, there's modded V6's in the 13's now. Have you looked into the fuse pull? Maybe you got a tank full of 87 from the dealer.
I agree. I'm a seasoned drag racer, have made hundreds and hundreds of passes in low 10 to 15 second cars. 14.1-2 is pathetic. I have no idea what the problem could be though, unless crappy weather just effects this car more for some reason.

Quote:
31000 for ss1 no options and who in the hell would buy a SS1 V6 for kids SS1 for girls LS3 the only way to go G8 Gxp 200lbs more my bad so lets think here 200lb more 27 less hp so 5 tenths slower now 373 gear now mabe 3tenths slower 4 door car sad so so sad
Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
Stormyone

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383ss View Post
sorry, in my opinion my 85 iroc handles better.

I'm an idiot I guess. I will keep it at least a year. maybe special order a 2012 exactly how I want it.
fair enough, I was just curious.... thanks for clarifying...
Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
shinzon
Night Fury

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I have a 2ss, and actually I see alot of value in it. I guess it is all in what YOU paid. For me....well I did under invoice. and then droppped a 4500 gm card round up bonus on their asses.

Cars come and go , sell it and get the the 5.0 Mustang . People say thats fast,

2014 Black ZL1 - Toothless -
Previous Lovers :2014 1LE , 2010 2SS RS,2004 GTO, 2000 Camaro SS x 2
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
caddycruiser

Drives: Demo's
Welcome to modern Camaro life, regardless of your iffy reviews on some things.

2700 miles in TWO weeks...you certainly like something about it.

Track speeds/times in the extreme heat aside, your handling comments are baffling, unless it's more the setup/view/seating/windows that make you feel less comfortable piloting it around. No Camaro before could "handle" in any technical term near what the current Zeta based car does.

That all said, you have a loaded 2SS Camaro...enjoy it
caddycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Just so you know, 383ss, your opinion is valuable to the people who build this car. What I'm responding with isn't intended to be belittling at all -- I just wanted to offer some insight where I could into the 'why or how'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383ss View Post
*this thing is a turd at the track. 4 runs and it went 14.1-2 every time. Granted it was 92* out, but still, I can't beleive it wouldn't run 13's. how embarrasing. it was nothing but stab and steer. non spinning off the line or anything. That temperature sure didn't help. Humidity might have hurt your times, too. Did you have traction control in sport mode? Or the transmission in 'M'? The largest factor in drag racing is the driver. My Mom could turn a 15 in a ZR1...but it doesn't make the car bad.

*no automatic climate control in a car with a sticker price of 38,900 is lame.
Maybe...but many would argue that auto climate control is useless since the adjustment knob is right there...kinda like what you said about the radio controls.

*my 85 iroc handles better and its stock too not that the 2011 is bad, but think its kind funny.
It might feel like it to you....but it absolutely doesn't, I'd guarantee it. The Camaro's suspension is incredibly compliant and stable...this refinement disguises it's true potential.

*I like the paddle shifters quite a bit. Don't use them a lot, but they are certainly useable. not really for WOT, but for downshifting and keeping RPM's down when accelerating for better mpg.
I would experiment if I were you. Common sense says lower rpms equals higher mileage...but the engineers optimized shifts in 'D' mode for fuel economy. You might get better fuel economy if you don't use the paddles...never know unless you try!

Awesome car, but I should have stuck to my guns and not spent the $$$ on a car when it wasn't exactly what I wanted.
I'm glad your overall impressions with the Camaro is positive. Most of your criticism involves personal taste, though so I'd have to say you're right.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
If you're running 14s, either you need a fuse pull, you need to launch better or your track just sucks.
2SSARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
383ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyone View Post
fair enough, I was just curious.... thanks for clarifying...
lol. I'm bad at impulse buying I guess. lots of 2010's on the lots, but it seemed pointless since 2011's are the same price. I've been wanting one for so long, just got a large raise and couldn't wait anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARMY View Post
If you're running 14s, either you need a fuse pull, you need to launch better or your track just sucks.
I can gaurntee I don't need a fuse pull and the track didn't completely suck. I wasn't even spinning comming off the line. like I said, I'm not new to drag racing. All runs were in sport mode.

I'm guessing can improve the launch, but I'm not going to gain THAT much with a better launch. I may have pulled a 13.9.

I'll post again in drag racing when I can get back to the track. Read up a bit on what's been working for people and it sounds like I just need to flash it from 1000rpm. I was braking it up as high as i could.

Quote: