Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-04-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
dyonz

Drives: 2011 2ss 6 speed MT
Loud Bang From Stop to Go

Hey guys this is my first post so hi, I own a 2011 2SS 6 Speed MT with 51,000 miles.

So last night me and my girlfriend were driving back from getting some food. I was stopped at a light on a very slight incline I started releasing the clutch and giving some gas when I heard, BOOM! This was the loudest sound I had ever heard come from a car I immediately pressed in the clutch and breaks and put it in neutral. I thought for sure I had broken something and would not be able to operate the car. That wasnt the case, I put it back in gear and took off as normal. I wasnt reving the engine much when going just a standard small amount to move the car(half the time i just slip the clutch and let it go).

Any idea what this could have been? I looked all around the car for something that could have hit it and i saw nothing. I also was checking to see if maybe the suspension could have broke but the car seems to be sitting normal.

*Notes about the car

The gear shift feels notchy when shifting in gear sometimes especially lower RPM shifts. (i dont notice this during high RPM shifts 2.5k+)

It has popped out of gear and back into nuetral a couple of times and has resulted in a grinding noise. I think this is due to the notchy shifting and me not putting it all the way in gear.

I took the car into the dealer for a trunk leak and full check out they said nothing was wrong this was two weeks go.

tldr; My car made a very loud bang when releasing the clutch from a stop and go scenario not sure what the sound was but I was for sure i broke something.
dyonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Sounds like definitely something in the drive train.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #3
BandRcAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If your trans is having issues already I would assume its that, usually wouldnt be that loud though, maybe it backfired?
Old 06-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
dyonz

would it make a very loud sound if it popped out of gear and into neutral from not being shifted in all the way? I actually cant remember if i put the car in neutral after the or if it was already in there when i went to do it. it all happened so fast lol
Old 06-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
Could be a bearing in trans, driveshaft, posi, or axles. Have to start looking and investigating. Cars don't bang coming out of gear.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Sounds to me like it could have simply been the brakes sticking for a min when the hill assist released.
Similar to when you get the brakes wet from rain or washing then parking the car for a day or two. The moister on the rotors will rust just a tad causing the pads to stick momentarily.

When you stop on an incline and press the brake pedal, the brakes will hold as hard as when you pressed the pedal. Once you lift the pedal and start to move, it takes a sec for the brakes to release by themselves. If you accelerate before the brakes release by themselves, they might stick/pop.

Of course this is only if Hill Assist was offered on the 2011's. It might be a feature that came a year or two later. (I have it on my 2013)
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'm gonna throw the clutch fork into the question.. A buddy of mine has a Corvette, and it did the same thing as your describing. Took it apart, ended up being the clutch fork slamming into something. Usually happens when the synchro is slightly not lining up.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #8
dyonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I'm gonna throw the clutch fork into the question.. A buddy of mine has a Corvette, and it did the same thing as your describing. Took it apart, ended up being the clutch fork slamming into something. Usually happens when the synchro is slightly not lining up.
i might have to look into that.. thanks for the reply
Old 06-08-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE
Fork

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyonz View Post
i might have to look into that.. thanks for the reply
Do Camaros have a clutch fork?
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
dyonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEJNG View Post
Do Camaros have a clutch fork?
after some reading i think maybe only the older years? i could be wrong.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #11
Synner

Drives: cars
Hydraulically actuated, no clutch fork.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:36 AM   #12
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
You can get a loud bang if it slips out of first under acceleration.
I have heard it.
More often in trucks where I first learned to drive stick. But I have had it happen on my Camaro. It's more difficult to engage the lower gears.

Adjust your seat so that you can easily press the clutch to the floor.
You shouldn't have to be stretching to hit the floor. You can recline the seat and/or adjust the steering wheel so your arms are comfortable.

Most of what you describe suggests the clutch is not completely disengaging, making it difficult to get completely into gear.

P.S. pulling the seat forward will also make it easier to smash the throttle.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #13
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Hydraulically actuated, no clutch fork.
Hmm.. I learned something new today.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #14
Camcar

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
What CamaroFred said. I've had that sound when it popped into neutral because I didn't have it fully into first. Now I'm ultra careful because it's startling when it happens.
Camcar is offline   Reply With Quote