Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-03-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Would I get good benefit from this Cam?

Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to do a cam swap for a while, but I have been trying to keep my list of add-on parts to those that are emissions compliant in our hyper-regulated, er, 'great' state of California.

There's now a CA legal cam for the L99 by comp cams:
https://www.rickscamaros.com/rick-s-...ifters-sb.html

Wondering whether adding this cam to my setup would result in meaningful gains, or might there be negative consequences since this wasn't specifically designed to be used with a blower? The tech from Comp said it would work, but wanted to get other opinions.

Just to avoid it: yes I know this wouldn't be the ideal cam to add, but if I'm trying to focus on CA-legal parts, this is really the only choice readily available.

Thanks,

HAMBO
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
They dont see to offer any information about it whatsoever ? Other than cam lift.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
They dont see to offer any information about it whatsoever ? Other than cam lift.
Ya, oddly enough I can't seem to find the right model on the Comp Cams site...trying to look for more info. I'll try contacting CPG for info as well.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
I'm guess it's not worth much power if it's fine with factory tuning... would be nice to know the actual specs. The LS9 cam might be something to look into, it has way more duration and lift than the L99, but it still has a nice negative overlap profile that would be emissions friendly. Your best bet would be to talk to some builders/tuners in CA to see what they are doing to get better power and still stay compliant.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #5
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Getting rid of AFM I assume? The LS9 cam is very easy to live with and you should get a little power increase at the top end. Does not need bigger injectors or fuel pump upgrades to work. Needs a timing gear conversion but no big deal. I bought both from Ligenfelter. Tune would be changed to help cam work its best. Mine idles like a stocker so no raised eyebrows there. Cost is MUCH CHEAPER.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote