Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
MikeBing

Drives: 2010 CGM/IO 2SS RS
Shopping for tight, accurate subs...help?

Hello all,

I'm looking to bring out the lower end of my music a bit, and I've been reading about subs and all their properties on www.crutchfield.com for a few days. It has nearly gotten to the point that the more I read, the more confused and conflicted my feelings are about all the different sub options I have, so I'm here looking for some help.

Basically, I'm looking for subs that are quick and clear. I'm a drummer, and I really appreciate when subs don't dirty up the sound of a drum set. From what I've read, I'm assuming that means I need a sub with a high frequency response? I'm also looking for something that doesn't crap out on the high bass notes when the bassist is moving around. I listen to mostly rock/alternative with some occasional rap, so I'm not wanting just a couple huge subs that rattle my car to pieces.

I thought I had an idea what I wanted, but like I said, the more I read, the more conflicted I feel. So I'm starting over from square one, asking you guys and girls for help. If it matters, I'm already fairly certain I'll be getting the boxes from ********.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
MikeBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It's going to come down to the quality of your sub brand. A lot also goes into the quality of the box and the amplifier. While I'm not the best source of audio information, I can safely inform you that there is not a single answer to your question. Some will argue about the size of the sub or the volume of the box. Others will speak in name brands. My advise is to listen to a few entry level subs and find one that sounds good.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Sounds like you want a sealed box (no ports). Start there!
TonyNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Superfly1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT #2197
I run and Alpine R10 with a Rockford Fosgate Power 550S amp and it does very well. I have similar tastes in music to you and have been very happy with it. Here is a link below to the pictures and such...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51066

CAI intake | OBX LT Headers | Flowmaster AT Exhaust | Trifecta Tune | SS Rear Diff, Axles & Driveshaft
Zex 100 Shot Nitrous | Konig Airstrike Wheels | Custom Engine Cover, Fuse Box & Underhood Bowtie
Eibach Springs & SS Sway Bars
| BMR Strut Brace | Drake Shifter | Vitesse Paddles | 13.26 @ 105.88 mph
Superfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
MikeBing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly1 View Post
I run and Alpine R10 with a Rockford Fosgate Power 550S amp and it does very well. I have similar tastes in music to you and have been very happy with it. Here is a link below to the pictures and such...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51066
I'll definitely look into that, thanks a lot. Tony, I was sure I wanted sealed, I'm really just trying to find the right sub now. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
FIREWOLFF

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Check out Diamond Audio D3 subs. I have them in mine and they are extremely punchy and accurate.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
MikeBing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWOLFF View Post
Check out Diamond Audio D3 subs. I have them in mine and they are extremely punchy and accurate.
I've read that Diamond's are made more for ported boxes though, is this correct?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
DEW

Drives: Hoopdee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBing View Post
Hello all,

I'm looking to bring out the lower end of my music a bit, and I've been reading about subs and all their properties on www.crutchfield.com for a few days. It has nearly gotten to the point that the more I read, the more confused and conflicted my feelings are about all the different sub options I have, so I'm here looking for some help.

Basically, I'm looking for subs that are quick and clear. I'm a drummer, and I really appreciate when subs don't dirty up the sound of a drum set. From what I've read, I'm assuming that means I need a sub with a high frequency response? I'm also looking for something that doesn't crap out on the high bass notes when the bassist is moving around. I listen to mostly rock/alternative with some occasional rap, so I'm not wanting just a couple huge subs that rattle my car to pieces.

I thought I had an idea what I wanted, but like I said, the more I read, the more conflicted I feel. So I'm starting over from square one, asking you guys and girls for help. If it matters, I'm already fairly certain I'll be getting the boxes from ********.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
Mike, Im in the same situation you are right now. I have also decided to go with the ******** stealthbox for a 10 " sub. I am also pretty sure i will go with a JL Audio Slash 500/1 v2 amp. Ive had experience with their amps before and that is one area you dont want to skimp on. The sub is one thing Im still up in the air on. I joined caraudio.com to get some recomendations and got all kinds of answers. A lot of people on the forum have good things to say about Image Dynamics and their excellent SQ so Im leaning toward this one right now.
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_id=5807

BUILD - 6/12/2009
Airaid V2, Flowmaster AT
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBing View Post
I've read that Diamond's are made more for ported boxes though, is this correct?
NO...I have a single 10" Diamond sub in a sealed box-(w/ alpine mono amp)...it sounds GREAT. It's a VERY tight "musical" sub. All I listen to is rock/metal/punk. Also, in a smaller size box...a little trick is to stuff it w/ some pillow stuffing, will help improve it's performance.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
FIREWOLFF

ported or sealed

Diamonds work in both they do recommend ported which I have in my car. I just finished another Camaro with the exact same sub setup I have. If tuned properly ported is just as tight and accurate as the sealed box.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Do you folks with subs fold the back seat down so you can hear the sub better? Sorry for the noob question. I've never had a car before that I even considered putting a sub in.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
FIREWOLFF

No mine comes through fine without folding the seat down.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
Superfly1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT #2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Do you folks with subs fold the back seat down so you can hear the sub better? Sorry for the noob question. I've never had a car before that I even considered putting a sub in.
Mine is always up, I have had it down once while tuning everything and it sounds WAY better with the seat back up.

CAI intake | OBX LT Headers | Flowmaster AT Exhaust | Trifecta Tune | SS Rear Diff, Axles & Driveshaft
Zex 100 Shot Nitrous | Konig Airstrike Wheels | Custom Engine Cover, Fuse Box & Underhood Bowtie
Eibach Springs & SS Sway Bars
| BMR Strut Brace | Drake Shifter | Vitesse Paddles | 13.26 @ 105.88 mph
Superfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
2 thumbs up for the Diamonds!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWOLFF View Post
Diamonds work in both they do recommend ported which I have in my car. I just finished another Camaro with the exact same sub setup I have. If tuned properly ported is just as tight and accurate as the sealed box.
Hey that was my Camaro you did today.

I have to put in a good word for the 10" Diamond subs and amp. This set up rocks. I am so glad I made the drive down to see you and the guys at TNT Audio in Victoria, TX. It was well worth the 2 1/2 hour one way trip and it is always nice to meet fellow C5 members. I had that bad boy cranked up all the way back home. It sounds like I am sitting in a club with a live band playing.

I'll post pictures of it after I get my face plates color matched. I already have them off and I am headed to get the primer.