Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
cure for rattling sunroof

Any DIY fixes for this issue? It seems like when my sunroof is open, every little bump in the road causes it to rattle.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
So...I rented a 2012 SS about 2 months ago and had the same complaint since I had it for 4 days in sunny southern California. I posted about it here, and the general consensus was that I was either a) crazy (highly possible) or b) it was a rental car, and the sunroof had likely been abused. The car only had 1300 miles on it or something low like that...

Everyone else said their sunroof was perfect and rattle free. Maybe they have the stereo up too loud?

At any rate...this is what your warranty is for. :(
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I am happy that my reverse mohawk doesn't rattle.
In a past car I got rattles from the moon roof. It was the wind deflector.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
My sunroof does not rattle while open, but it has developed a "snap, crackle, pop" sound when first opening, and while closing that it didn't used to have... I've been thinking about taking it to the dealer... Maybe as easy as spraying some lube on it somewhere?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
The Answer

The answer is to put (a little) lubriplate on the slides.It works.I lubed mine twice now since new 2010.Not for any noises or operation problems , just trying to avoid any future problems . My sunroof roof works like a charm,no rattles or other noises.Ever.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
SS King

Drives: a Panty Dropper
my 2010SS has a sunroof and no rattles at all. Nice and tight
Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
E.T.

Hmmm...opening and closing seems ok. It just seems to shake when hitting bumps. I didn't look into it too closely, but maybe there is something loose that I can tighten. I'd rather not have to go to the dealer for this, but I guess if it keeps up, I can give them a call. I thought maybe this was a common thing.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
STW

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
I have had this issue since 1st month. When fully open, rattles every time I hit a large crack or bump. Had dealership look at twice (2 different dealerships) Dealer says they don't hear the rattle. I drive 1000 miles a month. IT RATTLES WHEN OPEN. No noise when popped or closed. I have resigned to just deal with it, turn the radio up, ignore it, etc...ANYONE have any advice or direct to a thread, be much appreciated.

I've seen this mentioned before in threads, however, no DIY advice. Yes, I might just put my foot down at dealership again...already did that though twice. BTW I am crazy. That's why I ask others if they can hear it. Answer is yes.
STW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STW View Post
I have had this issue since 1st month. When fully open, rattles every time I hit a large crack or bump. Had dealership look at twice (2 different dealerships) Dealer says they don't hear the rattle. I drive 1000 miles a month. IT RATTLES WHEN OPEN. No noise when popped or closed. I have resigned to just deal with it, turn the radio up, ignore it, etc...ANYONE have any advice or direct to a thread, be much appreciated.

I've seen this mentioned before in threads, however, no DIY advice. Yes, I might just put my foot down at dealership again...already did that though twice. BTW I am crazy. That's why I ask others if they can hear it. Answer is yes.
I looked at mine before and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I can re-create the sound by pounding my fist (gently of course) on the roof of the car near the sunroof.

I've seen a few other threads on here about the same issue, with no real solution. I'll call my dealer if it continues, but I had to waste my time taking it in, if they won't be able to fix it.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
E.T.

I was planning on swinging by the dealer to have them check it out this morning, but I paid very close attention to it on the drive over. I had the sunroof open all the way, and it really only made any noise when I hit a decent size bump. So, I decided to just keep an eye (or ear, haha) on it for now. I supposed a little noise/shake is unavoidable just due to its design. It's by no means a constant thing, only every once in a while when I hit a bump just right.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
rock1962

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Noticed rattle myself only when fully open.
rock1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
Missionboi
SoCal HT5 [COTW: 8/12/13]

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE RS
It shakes a bit and let's air in when it's closed for me :(. I've noticed if I close the door not to hard but a good close the sun roof pops up
Missionboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
My sunroof does not rattle while open, but it has developed a "snap, crackle, pop" sound when first opening, and while closing that it didn't used to have... I've been thinking about taking it to the dealer... Maybe as easy as spraying some lube on it somewhere?

The best thing to do would be to get this diagnosed at your dealership. If anything, as long as you are within the parameters of the bumper to bumper warranty, they should be able to cover this. I can understand the frustrations you have with this noise.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Sunroof? What sunroof. Oh you mean that big thing that retracts into the back when you lower your top?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote