Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Beau Tie

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2007 Camry
Send a message via AIM to Beau Tie
1LT RS and Snow

My question to you all is, snow. I am ordering the 1LT with the RS package, and it will have to tackle the winter here in Wisonsin (unfortunately, the wife approved the car purchase, but not a beater purchase). So it is what it is.

What is my best option?

1. Are there all season tires available for me to swap out on the 20 inch wheels each season that I can buy? I could take my car to a local shop and have them take off the summer tires and put on the all season tires for the winter.

2. Could I buy the generic LS rally wheels and all season tires when I order my car, and just store them and then I could swap them out in my garage when I need them?

3. Are there any other cheaper alternatives?

I thought I read on a post here that someone had no issues driving their camaro in the snow, but I don't know if they had the RS or SS package with the summer tires, or if they had a standard LS/1LT.

And will any of the above changes screw up the speedo, the tire pressure monitors, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
westvanGT

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Tie View Post
My question to you all is, snow. I am ordering the 1LT with the RS package, and it will have to tackle the winter here in Wisonsin (unfortunately, the wife approved the car purchase, but not a beater purchase). So it is what it is.

What is my best option?

1. Are there all season tires available for me to swap out on the 20 inch wheels each season that I can buy? I could take my car to a local shop and have them take off the summer tires and put on the all season tires for the winter.

2. Could I buy the generic LS rally wheels and all season tires when I order my car, and just store them and then I could swap them out in my garage when I need them?

I thought I read on a post here that someone had no issues driving their camaro in the snow, but I don't know if they had the RS or SS package with the summer tires, or if they had a standard LS/1LT.

And will any of the above changes screw up the speedo, the tire pressure monitors, etc?

Not sure how its going to work with Camaro, but when I got my mustang there were always people selling there stock rims after they
picked up a set of aftermarket rims. I picked up a set of rims off of a GT and mounted snows on them so I can just switch them over myself...
granted here in vancouver we don't even get that much snow, but I still
think its worth it to save your other set of rims from the road salt and grime...
westvanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
i am interested to answers to these questions as well. mine will be a daily driver as well...

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Tie View Post

What is my best option?

Yes, all of the CTF cars with the 20" wheels were delivered with Snow and Ice tires. Mrs. Number 3s SS was just swapped back to the summer Pirellis in April

You could probably buy them from the dealer, but not sure. I'd just swap the rubber, but I can understand the desire to just change tires, which is easier to do yourself. On and SS this might be a problem due to the larger brakes, on an LT, you should be ok.

As I said, for me I'd just swap the rubber seasonally. I would price out a cheaper aluminum aftermarket wheel to compare to the dealer price for the steel rally wheels, center cap and trim rings. You might find you can get a nice aluminium wheel for close to that price. Not sure though about prices. Or you could just run steelies with no trim. But you would have to change out the TPM to do this.

We drove Number 3 all winter with the stock all seasons and no problems. The ice and snow on the SS did pretty well also, but only drove it in the snow a few times.

If you change wheels keeping your all seaons on, you will lose your tire pressure monitor. That is why changing the rubber would be a better choice. As far as speedo, you'd have to check the rolling radius for the 20 vs. 18. Probably close though. But still that is why I'd just change the rubber out twice a year.

Hope that helps. Others probably have better ideas about winter tires, but if you want to keep the TPM, you need to keep the wheel on the car. The TPMs may or may not be interchangeable, but if you were changing the TPM you would
Old 05-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
I'd like to put a vote against all seasons, get some proper winter tires.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
I would run the 18's in the winter because salt does a number on nice wheels over time. You will lose the pressure monitor but you could use the old tride and true stick type pressure checker in the winter monthes, The cost in the long run is more if you swap tires on the same wheels twice a year plus the RS wheels will eventually corode. I'm in chicago and had to change out the rim on my 96Z due to corosion. I'm sure used LS or LT 18" wheels will be available soon when people start changing out wheels.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
chevy dude

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IBM Camaro
I too was concerned about this issue(I live in the metro Detroit area).I have a 1LT/RS Camaro on order.Originally i was gonna order the 6-speed manual,but my Camaro will also be a daily driver,and a manual does not work well in the snow on a RWD vehicle.

I remember having a 78 Chevy s-10 pickup(5 speed,2wd)It did alright in the snow,but it did even better when i added 200 lbs of sand(4 bags,50lbs each)to my pickup bed.I thought i can apply the same principle to my Camaro when the inch's of snow start falling.How-ever i would wrap the bags in plastic some-how,so as not to spill in my trunk(what a mess that would be).

I ordered my Camaro with a Automatic,which would be better for winter driving.I do believe the Auto has "traction control",and that electronically controls engine rpm and wheel speed,kinda like ABS for your rear wheels.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
i had a thunderbird rear wheel drive it was the V6 normal engine and the car kind of sucked in the snow. But I think if you have the steel rims and tires you would be good, or just get some skiinnier winter tires and cheap rims the black ones you see people using. I would also reccomend puting about 100-150lbs of those sand tubes in the trunk and the car would be fine. I think the V6 is much more viable to use in the snow vs the v8. being a rear wheel car you are still going to have to be more careful.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Arch

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
I just ordered the 2SS and will definetely be driving it at least this winter.. how much can I expect to pay for a good set of SNOW tires (not all-season) for 20 inch tires?

Whenever i put snows on my current vehicle (a camry, not really comparable) I only put them on the fronts (FWD) Can I get away with just putting them on the back? (RWD)
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
putting snow tires on the back (RWD) will help with traction and getting going. but don't you want to have winter tires on the fronts, that help you brake and steer in winter conditions??? don't skimp, put winter tires on all 4 tires. for your saftey.

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
go to Tirerack.com this fall and order a set of four mounted snow tires, they let you pick rims and choice of tires, my Infiniti G35 Coupe (rear wheel Drive) does fine in Pennsylvania.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #12
SS Man

Drives: 2SS IOM White Rally Stripes
I'm keeping my beater 4wd pickup to drive in the snow. The salt and crap they put on the roads in Missouri really turn your ride into rust. I'm keeping the camaro away from the salt.....
SS Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
camaro67
Account Suspended

Drives: marina blue 67
what you would pay for 4 rims and 4 snow tires mount balance plus weather damage to your car go on craigs list buy a cheap beater you will be glad when spring comes.it will still have that new camaro look.good luck.
camaro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #14
bengen5

Drives: 1LT IBM Camaro RS
i got the 1lt rs 6m on order too, already know the tires i want, toyo proxes 4s i had them before on 18's and car drove great in whatever kinda weather it is, plus all camaros have traction control and stabilitrac so snow should be fine, truck i have now is two wheel drive and had no problems in snow, i have no worries

1LT/RS 6M IBM CC BA
ordered 3-6-09
VIN # 2G1FF1EV9A9123847
picked up 7-17-09
bengen5 is offline   Reply With Quote