Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Why isn't the 3.6L CAI offered for 2018?

PART NO. 84242613 lists compatibility with 2016-2017 only. I suspect this means it might fit on my 2018 3.6L, and would I be able to get the tune that comes with it.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:02 AM   #2
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
PART NO. 84242613 lists compatibility with 2016-2017 only. I suspect this means it might fit on my 2018 3.6L, but I wouldn't be able to get the tune that comes with it.
Parts catalog isn’t updated if I had to guess
Old 07-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
it fits it just may not been updated like he said above or its not 50 state legal for the 2018 models
Old 07-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
I purchased and installed a GM CAI on my 2018 LS V6/1LE. I even had to source the new MAF sensor screws on my own, as my kit was missing them, and the dealership didn't have a way to order just the missing screws.

I then dropped my car off at the dealership, to have them tell me that they couldn't do the ECU reflash for my car. My wife and I spent a couple days playing phone tag with the service manager and GM customer service to get very little information. The only answer that I got was that GM doesn't list it for the 2018 V6, and hasn't released the ECU reflash for the 2018 V6, yet. They couldn't even give me any idea of when, or even if GM would have the ECU reflash for the 2018 V6, so I removed the CAI, and returned it to the dealership for a refund. I couldn't believe that no one seemed to care that they have a part listed in the 2017-2018 Camaro catalog, as fitting my car, yet no one has bothered to figure out the ECU reflash. I can't see the ECU reflash being that drastically different between the 2017 and 2018 model years, so it appears to be pure lack of effort on GM's part. I also got told that I could just leave the CAI installed, and drive my car around, with the CEL on, due to the CAI. What kind of customer service is that? We know that your car isn't running correctly, due to the CEL being on, but just drive it anyways. Idiots!

I was surprised that the service manager told me that I could have the ECU tuned by a local shop that has done some upgrades on a few of their new vehicles. If it wouldn't have cost me as much or more, to have the shop tune my car, as it cost to purchase the CAI, which should have included the tune, I would have seriously considered it.

Hopefully, once my warranty is up, I can get the HP Tuners software and hardware, so I can start wringing out a little more fun from my car.
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Thanks for the info. I suspected no dealership tune was available for 2018. Part of the price you pay includes tuning, so if that's not possible you might as well go aftermarket.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Joker75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
Thanks for the info. I suspected no dealership tune was available for 2018. Part of the price you pay includes tuning, so if that's not possible you might as well go aftermarket.
It has been a couple of months, since I returned my CAI, so GM may have figured stuff out, but I doubt I'll try again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2018, 04:49 PM   #7
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker75 View Post
I purchased and installed a GM CAI on my 2018 LS V6/1LE. I even had to source the new MAF sensor screws on my own, as my kit was missing them, and the dealership didn't have a way to order just the missing screws.

I then dropped my car off at the dealership, to have them tell me that they couldn't do the ECU reflash for my car. My wife and I spent a couple days playing phone tag with the service manager and GM customer service to get very little information. The only answer that I got was that GM doesn't list it for the 2018 V6, and hasn't released the ECU reflash for the 2018 V6, yet. They couldn't even give me any idea of when, or even if GM would have the ECU reflash for the 2018 V6, so I removed the CAI, and returned it to the dealership for a refund. I couldn't believe that no one seemed to care that they have a part listed in the 2017-2018 Camaro catalog, as fitting my car, yet no one has bothered to figure out the ECU reflash. I can't see the ECU reflash being that drastically different between the 2017 and 2018 model years, so it appears to be pure lack of effort on GM's part. I also got told that I could just leave the CAI installed, and drive my car around, with the CEL on, due to the CAI. What kind of customer service is that? We know that your car isn't running correctly, due to the CEL being on, but just drive it anyways. Idiots!

I was surprised that the service manager told me that I could have the ECU tuned by a local shop that has done some upgrades on a few of their new vehicles. If it wouldn't have cost me as much or more, to have the shop tune my car, as it cost to purchase the CAI, which should have included the tune, I would have seriously considered it.

Hopefully, once my warranty is up, I can get the HP Tuners software and hardware, so I can start wringing out a little more fun from my car.
I'm pretty sure I know where you had taken it to based on your experience. You're right, they never should have suggested you drive it like that. You could have had the ECU tuned by their "tuner" and likely would have made more power like that, but they failed to tell you that would void your warranty unlike the tune that GM would provide for the intake.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
Joker75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I'm pretty sure I know where you had taken it to based on your experience. You're right, they never should have suggested you drive it like that. You could have had the ECU tuned by their "tuner" and likely would have made more power like that, but they failed to tell you that would void your warranty unlike the tune that GM would provide for the intake.
The dealership is actually pretty mod friendly. They regularly have brand new cars on their showroom floor, that have been tuned by a local shop, and advertise them with the full factory warranty. They have a ZL1 that they've upgraded to 700 whp, in the showroom, right now. The service manager said that they wouldn't void my warranty, just because it was tuned. Whether they'd actually stick with that, I can't guarantee.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:38 PM   #9
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
The dealership is actually pretty mod friendly. They regularly have brand new cars on their showroom floor, that have been tuned by a local shop, and advertise them with the full factory warranty. They have a ZL1 that they've upgraded to 700 whp, in the showroom, right now. The service manager said that they wouldn't void my warranty, just because it was tuned. Whether they'd actually stick with that, I can't guarantee.
It really depends on the failure, there are certain failures that GM will require a program history and those cannot be faked. I would suggest keeping mum on whatever dealership is doing this. They could be in a world of trouble if GM finds out. I couldn't care less what mods are done to a vehicle when I service them, unless it's blatant the modification caused the failure.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Their website just says 6th Gen... I'm thinking just not updated to say 2018.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #11
Joker75

2017-2018 Accessories catalog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Their website just says 6th Gen... I'm thinking just not updated to say 2018.
Here is the Accessories catalog for the 2017-2018 Camaro.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...catalog-v2.pdf

It shows the 3.6 LGX intake on one of the last pages, and there is no mention that it only fits one of the model years listed on the Catalog. I was told by the dealer that the intake will fit, which I knew, because I already had it installed, but that GM had not released the ECU reflash for the 2018 model year. The last I heard was that they had no release date, or any guarantee that GM would ever release the ECU reflash for the 2018 model year, which just seems ridiculous to me.

They already have a product that was designed to fit their vehicle. They even have the ECU reflash released for 2 of the 3 model years that the CAI is designed to fit. I can't see where the mapping would be any different for the 2018 model year, than is was on the two previous years. It is, after all, the same engine as the 2016 and 2017 model years. So, at this point, it appears to be flat out laziness by someone at GM, who can't be bothered to release the ECU Reflash for the 2018 model year. I just wish that there was a better aftermarket option available. I don't like the the K&N CAI eliminates that sound tube, and some of the other CAIs have very mixed reviews on quality.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Here is the Accessories catalog for the 2017-2018 Camaro.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...catalog-v2.pdf

It shows the 3.6 LGX intake on one of the last pages, and there is no mention that it only fits one of the model years listed on the Catalog. I was told by the dealer that the intake will fit, which I knew, because I already had it installed, but that GM had not released the ECU reflash for the 2018 model year. The last I heard was that they had no release date, or any guarantee that GM would ever release the ECU reflash for the 2018 model year, which just seems ridiculous to me.

They already have a product that was designed to fit their vehicle. They even have the ECU reflash released for 2 of the 3 model years that the CAI is designed to fit. I can't see where the mapping would be any different for the 2018 model year, than is was on the two previous years. It is, after all, the same engine as the 2016 and 2017 model years. So, at this point, it appears to be flat out laziness by someone at GM, who can't be bothered to release the ECU Reflash for the 2018 model year. I just wish that there was a better aftermarket option available. I don't like the the K&N CAI eliminates that sound tube, and some of the other CAIs have very mixed reviews on quality.
2.0T guy here so forgive my eavesdropping but i think the issue is GM for the last 3 years has changed the ECU accessibility every year. 2016 you could easily tune your ecu and tcm if you had an A8. 2017 they security locked the ECM and TCM seperately and made it obnoxious and extra expensive to tune from my understanding is they added even more security with the 2018 model year.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #13
Joker75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
2.0T guy here so forgive my eavesdropping but i think the issue is GM for the last 3 years has changed the ECU accessibility every year. 2016 you could easily tune your ecu and tcm if you had an A8. 2017 they security locked the ECM and TCM seperately and made it obnoxious and extra expensive to tune from my understanding is they added even more security with the 2018 model year.
I know that the TCM for the A8 has to be sent to HP Tuners, to be unlocked, prior to being able to make any modifications to the transmission tuning. I was told by a reputable tuner that they have been tuning the 2018 V6 using HP Tuners, so it is possible to unlock them. The only reason I know this is because I asked him on a Facebook thread, because I thought it was odd that HP Tuners lists the 2016-2018 2.0T, 6.2, and the supercharged 6.2, as being supported, yet only list the 2016-2017 3.6 V6 as supported. The tuner told me that HP Tuners has been lagging on updating their website, due to the introduction of their new MPVI2, and that they should have the supported vehicle list updated to include the 2018 3.6 V6 as soon as they can.

Barring the fact that an aftermarket company is capable of tuning the 2018 model year V6, how hard should it be for GM to unlock their own ECU? If they programmed the ECU, they should know how to unlock, and reflash it.

I could understand if GM had designed their ECU like the older Honda ECU, so that it was impossible to write to them at all, but that does not appear to be the case. At this point, it just comes across as GM not wanting to put in the small amount of effort to change a few keystrokes, to allow the ECU reflash on the 2018 model year.