Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #57
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Did you ever get these installed?
Not yet Should have the extra pair of headlights from the guy soon. They was suppose to ship this week. Ive been really busy lately. My wifes subaru killed over, so im finishing up a timing belt, water pump, & radiator install at the moment to get hers back straight. Once her car is straight, and my new wheels are on my car the next mod will be the lights, so hopefully soon. Ive been driving some pretty dark roads lately, and all I can think about is how I wish I had my lights in already
Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #58
dme
Davis

Drives: 2012 LS Custom
I know this is a somewhat old thread, but I recently bought a 2012 Camaro without the RS package, but I want the RS style lights. This seems like a nice route to take, so here's my plans. Let me know if anyone sees a problem or something I should differently.

I will be getting two Depo aftermarket headlights from eBay. $167.36 shipped

I will get the "BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III KIT (H1)" $290 shipped
from http://www.theretrofitsource.com/
  • Adapter plate: None
  • Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five (35w)
  • Bulbs: H1: Morimoto 3Five 5000K
  • Angel Eyes: No
  • Projectors: LHD (North American Standard)
  • Resealing glue: yes
  • Shrouds: Mini Gatling Gun
  • Wire Harness: Relay: H13/9008

I'll also get the white AAC halos (non-RS version) $170 shipped
from http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...o-halo-kit.htm

Once I get this stuff in, I'll paint the shrouds and reflective housing a matte black and install the headlight kit into the housing and add the halos. I would probably need to find someone who can replace the customized headlights with my stock ones because that looks like a huge pain. I also need to find someone who can wire all of this up how I want. I would like an Auto/On/Off switch for the halos. When on Auto, I want the halos to be on whenever the headlights are on OR whenever the key is turned on. This shouldn't be too difficult to do and would be a very nice setup to have full control over the halos when I want, but to not always worry about turning them on or off.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Decided to go with a single color halo. Apparently the dual colors alternate every other led for each color, so you get double the spacing between each light (so they aren't as bright and you can tell it's not a smooth ring from far away).

Last edited by dme; 01-10-2012 at 03:29 PM.
dme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #59
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dme View Post
I know this is a somewhat old thread, but I recently bought a 2012 Camaro without the RS package, but I want the RS style lights. This seems like a nice route to take, so here's my plans. Let me know if anyone sees a problem or something I should differently.

I will be getting two Depo aftermarket headlights. $167.36 shipped

I will get the "BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III KIT (H1)" $290 shipped
from http://www.theretrofitsource.com/
  • Adapter plate: None
  • Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five (35w)
  • Bulbs: H1: Morimoto 3Five 5000K
  • Angel Eyes: No
  • Projectors: LHD (North American Standard)
  • Resealing glue: yes
  • Shrouds: Mini Gatling Gun
  • Wire Harness: Relay: H13/9008

I'll also get the dual color (white and red) ORACLE halos (non-RS version) $200 shipped
from http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...s-dualhalo.htm

Once I get this stuff in, I'll paint the shrouds and reflective housing a matte black and install the headlight kit into the housing and add the halos.

I need to find someone who can wire all of this up how I want. I would like an Auto/On/Off switch for the halos, as well as a White/Red option switch. When on Auto, I want the halos to be on whenever the headlights are on OR whenever the key is turned on. This shouldn't be too difficult to do and would be a very nice setup to have full control over the halos, but to not always worry about turning them on or off.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Looks like you've got just about everything covered.

Only a couple things I'll throw out there. First off, check with AAC on the price of their Halos. They may or may not be cheaper but AAC sells the Oracle halos. Not sure if Phasek is going directly to Oracle or if they are drop shipping through AAC.

Personally, if I had it to do all over again I would probably go with the Morimoto D2S instead of Mini H1. There is not drilling with the Mini H1 but with the D2S you only have to slightly increase the size of the mounting hole. The only slight negative I have with the Mini H1 is that the drop down on the cut-off is so crisp and distinctive it's slightly distracting. With the D2S the drop off is not as dramatic and is more fluid like an OEM HID. Again...just being very picky and if you're going to do the install you may not want to deal with having to drill the larger hole for the D2S which is why I went Mini H1. Nothing wrong with the Mini H1 at all.

Depending if you want to do the retrofit yourself, you might look at having TheRetrofitSource do the install (of the projectors) for you. They only charged me $150 but I didn't have the Halo rings nor did I paint my housing/shroud. AAC does these full retrofits as well so you might check with them to see how much it would cost for them to do yours as well.

For wiring, look up FWYFLYER on this forum. He is super good with wiring. Even if he can't help you he can point you in the right direction.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #60
dme
Davis

Quote:
Looks like you've got just about everything covered.

Only a couple things I'll throw out there. First off, check with AAC on the price of their Halos. They may or may not be cheaper but AAC sells the Oracle halos. Not sure if Phasek is going directly to Oracle or if they are drop shipping through AAC.

Personally, if I had it to do all over again I would probably go with the Morimoto D2S instead of Mini H1. There is not drilling with the Mini H1 but with the D2S you only have to slightly increase the size of the mounting hole. The only slight negative I have with the Mini H1 is that the drop down on the cut-off is so crisp and distinctive it's slightly distracting. With the D2S the drop off is not as dramatic and is more fluid like an OEM HID. Again...just being very picky and if you're going to do the install you may not want to deal with having to drill the larger hole for the D2S which is why I went Mini H1. Nothing wrong with the Mini H1 at all.

Depending if you want to do the retrofit yourself, you might look at having TheRetrofitSource do the install (of the projectors) for you. They only charged me $150 but I didn't have the Halo rings nor did I paint my housing/shroud. AAC does these full retrofits as well so you might check with them to see how much it would cost for them to do yours as well.

For wiring, look up FWYFLYER on this forum. He is super good with wiring. Even if he can't help you he can point you in the right direction.
I really appreciate your thread and reply! About the headlights that require drilling: I was planning on doing the retrofitting myself. I obviously want to save as much money as I can, but I also don't want to go the cheap route and end up with something I'm not fully happy with. I got quotes from the retrofitting place (just to do the retrofitting) of $250 for aftermaket headlights and $350 for factory headlights.

I also talked with AAC directly about the halos. He suggested getting the RS version, even though I will be putting them into a non-RS retrofitted headlight. He also said that dual color alternates each LED, so you get double the spacing between each light. That's why I decided to go with single color. They mentioned to me that I could send them my headlights and they could do everything (retrofitting, painting, halo install), but it was over $1200 I believe. They sell the single color halos for $178 shipped, but the Phastek website sells them for $168 shipped.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #61
caverman

Quote:
I really appreciate your thread and reply! About the headlights that require drilling: I was planning on doing the retrofitting myself. I obviously want to save as much money as I can, but I also don't want to go the cheap route and end up with something I'm not fully happy with. I got quotes from the retrofitting place (just to do the retrofitting) of $250 for aftermaket headlights and $350 for factory headlights.

I also talked with AAC directly about the halos. He suggested getting the RS version, even though I will be putting them into a non-RS retrofitted headlight. He also said that dual color alternates each LED, so you get double the spacing between each light. That's why I decided to go with single color. They mentioned to me that I could send them my headlights and they could do everything (retrofitting, painting, halo install), but it was over $1200 I believe. They sell the single color halos for $178 shipped, but the Phastek website sells them for $168 shipped.
You won't be disappointed with the Mini H1 by any means. I'm very happy with mine. Like I said....just being extra picky the drop off is distinct. It's just a little different than what I was used to at first. Now I don't pay attention to it. The D2S is a little less dramatic of a drop off. However, with the D2S you have to increase the whole in the back of the housing. You don't have to do anything with Mini H1 (which is why I went with it).

$250 still isn't terrible if it includes painting the shrouds/housing and installing the halos. Then again if you're willing to do it then that will almost pay for the projector parts. They want more for the factory lights because the glue is much harder to get apart than the aftermarket lights.

With AAC I know their basic install was reasonably priced. I think it was less than $500 for the parts and install. Once you start adding paint and halos the price goes up extensively.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 01-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #62
caverman

You've probably see this before but just in case. See how the drop off is real distinctive.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 01-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #63
dme
Davis

Quote:
You won't be disappointed with the Mini H1 by any means. I'm very happy with mine. Like I said....just being extra picky the drop off is distinct. It's just a little different than what I was used to at first. Now I don't pay attention to it. The D2S is a little less dramatic of a drop off. However, with the D2S you have to increase the whole in the back of the housing. You don't have to do anything with Mini H1 (which is why I went with it).

$250 still isn't terrible if it includes painting the shrouds/housing and installing the halos. Then again if you're willing to do it then that will almost pay for the projector parts. They want more for the factory lights because the glue is much harder to get apart than the aftermarket lights.

With AAC I know their basic install was reasonably priced. I think it was less than $500 for the parts and install. Once you start adding paint and halos the price goes up extensively.
The guy at the retrofitting place said that you can just buy some plastic primer and matte black paint to do it. That doesn't seem like it would be too hard. I think I can handle getting the headlight ready to be installed, so if I can use those labor savings to pay someone to install it into the car that would be great.

Thanks so much for this info, again. It's helped me tremendously!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #64
dme
Davis

Quote:
You've probably see this before but just in case. See how the drop off is real distinctive.
I saw that in some of your earlier posts. That kind of stuff can sometimes annoy me, but is it very noticeable when you're driving down the road or only when the light is against a wall or something similar?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #65
dme
Davis

Quote:
Also, what is it about the lights that causes that "dropoff"?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #66
caverman

Quote:
I saw that in some of your earlier posts. That kind of stuff can sometimes annoy me, but is it very noticeable when you're driving down the road or only when the light is against a wall or something similar?
You really don't notice it at all driving down the road. Only when point at something like a wall. Again.....minor thing.

Quote:
The guy at the retrofitting place said that you can just buy some plastic primer and matte black paint to do it. That doesn't seem like it would be too hard. I think I can handle getting the headlight ready to be installed, so if I can use those labor savings to pay someone to install it into the car that would be great.

Thanks so much for this info, again. It's helped me tremendously!
That's what I've heard. You should probably lightly scuff the housing and wipe it down good. Then spray your primer and then your paint. A can of Krylon should work just fine.

Quote:
Also, what is it about the lights that causes that "dropoff"?
As far as I know it's the projector. However they made the internals. The drop off is done so that it doesn't blind on coming traffic. That's why they make a US version and a European version.
Build Journal
Old 01-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #67
caverman

BTW: Here is the D2S. Notice the drop off is not as distinctive.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 01-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #68
dme
Davis

Do you know anything about installing the AAC halos into a non-RS light?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #69
caverman

No....unfortunately I don't. I didn't do any Halos. I've just seen a couple threads here and there. I think there is a video that AAC did that should at least give you some ideas.

Shouldn't be a huge deal. You're already going to have the housing open. I think in that video I saw where you take a drimel tool and make a couple notches to allow the halo ring to sit flat. Then you do something to keep it in place. Glue or something.

Of course you'll want to test the halo before sealing everything up.
Build Journal
Old 01-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #70
caverman

Here you go. You'll probably have to improvize a little since you'll be doing it to a Halogen housing and this is an RS housing.

Make sure to take pictures as you do it. Then post up a thread with your experience and what you did.
Build Journal