Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
akCamaross

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Help!!!!! tired of the Squeaking!

So i got a 2011 2SS camaro about two months ago and it had 6k miles on it when i bought it and now has 9k. whenever i drive past a wall or next to a guard rail i hear this squeak squeak squeak noice like everytime the tire goes around.... my breaks also squeak pretty bad (sometimes) when i come to a stop.
Thanks
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
My '07 Sol GXP did this one day. It was the disc brake guard rubbing the rotor ever so slightly. Don't touch it until the brakes cool off, it might be very hot. With my problem, just pulling it outboard towards the rim by hand was an effective fix. That was last year. has not returned.

Of course, it could be a dozen other things but checking the cheap and things first won't hurt
Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
ss04flores
2012 Camaro SS

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
put it on the lift and turn every wheel manually and listen
ss04flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
SS brakes squeak. Mine started at 1700 miles. Do a burnish, it'll cure it for a few hundred miles, but it will come back. Turn up the radio or get a loud exhaust. LOL.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Take it to the dealer and let them worry about it.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Brembos squeak. However, mine were SQUEALING after a couple thousand. Took the car in for a warranty fix, and they hooked me up with some new pads- sporting roller skates on the back. Squealing stopped.

Not sure about the constant squeaking, but there's a good chance after you handle the brakes (not breaks) that sound disappears as well...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Brembos squeak. However, mine were SQUEALING after a couple thousand. Took the car in for a warranty fix, and they hooked me up with some new pads- sporting roller skates on the back. Squealing stopped.

Not sure about the constant squeaking, but there's a good chance after you handle the brakes (not breaks) that sound disappears as well...
My 2012 has the roller skates...they still squeal. I would be wary of trying to have the dealer correct it. I've seen what techs do to attempt a "fix", and all it does is shorten the life of the pads and still leaves you with a squeal.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Might also be something in your driveline, like your universal joint, although they usually only get heard during acceleration. I'd say your brakes are the cause though. Hopefully.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Good luck. My car has a rotational squeak from the wheel up at any speed depending on the angle of the steering wheel. Dealer cant 'reproduce' even though I can make it happen while driving into the service bay. I gave up and will replace the shitty oem parts when warrenty is up.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
STW

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Chevy has a bulletin out about it...says it's the nature of the brembo brake. I change out mine for EBC brakes (got set of 4 $225 on Amazon) changed them out (took 45 minutes) Brakes squealed for first 500 miles....THEN STOPPED SQUEALING! Magic. Buy EBC reds....works.
BTW hell, highwater, dealership, brake cleaner, stomp and set... couldn't get the OEM's to stop making noise.
STW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Yep, these big Brembos squeak a bit. I can hear mine every now and then, coming to a stop. The rotors don't have any obvious damage, the pad life is somewhere around 90%+.

Ditto on not taking it to a dealer if the problem appears relatively minor or a nuisance. Most techs will get in your car and beat on it until they, too, hear the squeaking. They might have a fix; or maybe not.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by akCamaross View Post
So i got a 2011 2SS camaro about two months ago and it had 6k miles on it when i bought it and now has 9k. whenever i drive past a wall or next to a guard rail i hear this squeak squeak squeak noice like everytime the tire goes around.... my breaks also squeak pretty bad (sometimes) when i come to a stop.
Thanks
I do apologize for the frustrations you may be experiencing with your brakes. Have you been able to get a proper diagnosis from a dealership? They should also be able to check your VIN for any applicable warranties as well!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
afhunter

Drives: 2011 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
I have taken my SS to the dealership 3 times now for this very issue and the first time they resurfaced the rotor but it came back. The next two times they said they could not replicate the problem. He found the bulletin for the issue and that was pretty much the end of it. For me the noise is not just on slow stop but when i am just rolling foward, hard stops and slow. I try to go from 60-25 fairly quickly but it does not help the problem. I can't stand rolling up to a light in such a nice car and having my brakes make noise its embarrassing.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I had the roller skates style pads that were quiet at first but started squealing badly after 3-4K miles. I replaced them with Hawk ceramics (around $200 for all 4 wheels) and they are much quieter. I do still get an occasional squeal coming to a stop. They also dust a lot less than the OEM pads.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote