Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-23-2019, 03:12 AM   #1
Bfh_american

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Lightbulb Supercharging and Camming Advice

Good afternoon fellas. I'm thinking about Supercharging, camming and putting some headers on my 2013 2SS. I've been researching a lot but I'd like some opinions. As of now, I only have a Borla Cat Back exhaust. Nothing crazy, but it definitely sounds mean. Car isn't gonna be on the track, or raced. This is just my project/weekend car. I treat it like a baby. Under 50k miles, had it since 28k. I don't want to be too hard on the engine, at all. I want to preserve this car for a long time. I was looking at a Whipple SC. Seems like a good SC for a daily. As far as camming and headers, I'm not as sure. I was reading and the different stages are a concern. I don't want something that's going to overstress the engine, but that deep rumble is what is appealing to me. As well as the HP increase. Also, with headers, I'm under the influence that long tubes are more for racing, so I'd go with regular headers? I appreciate the advice in advance. After all said and done, I'll get it professionally tuned and dyno'd. I just want to do this right. This will be my first time delving into Cams and Super chargers.
Bfh_american is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
LSA Supercharger kit from ADM Performance — stock look, great manners, good power increase. Headers help it breathe — on any supercharger setup.

ADM has been a sponsor in the past but you may need to call them...

Disclosure:

I have the kit and wrote the install guide but, really feel this is a great kit — since it’s basically a ZL1 factory setup. Will need a startup tune though...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Like hammdo said, I would go with a lsa blower, then remember to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors for safety(or atleast a boost a pump and injectors), as far as cam your not going want to do anything too aggressive so you can enjoys just cruising it, plus I wouldnt waste time with shorties and just go with long tube headers, as far as reliability the key is going be your tuner, so really research them before you decide on who is tuning the car
Old 03-24-2019, 03:31 AM   #4
Bfh_american

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreair1 View Post
Like hammdo said, I would go with a lsa blower, then remember to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors for safety(or atleast a boost a pump and injectors), as far as cam your not going want to do anything too aggressive so you can enjoys just cruising it, plus I wouldnt waste time with shorties and just go with long tube headers, as far as reliability the key is going be your tuner, so really research them before you decide on who is tuning the car
Any suggestions on which Cam? Thanks for the fast response. I def will check out the LSA blower. I appreciate the responses from you and Hammdo!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #5
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
With you wanting to keep engine stress low, I feel this Cammotion cam would work great with an LSA blower.

http://www.cammotion.com/camshafts/p...-displacement/

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfh_american View Post
Any suggestions on which Cam? Thanks for the fast response. I def will check out the LSA blower. I appreciate the responses from you and Hammdo!
I would contact a cam manufacturer and describe what street habits your looking for with the set up your planning and they can recommend the perfect cam for you
Old 03-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #7
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
It all depends how much HP you are looking for. My SS is a street car, so I didn't go with a cam. With the Edelbrock E-Force SC and Kooks LT headers I have 546/rwhp and 522/rwtq. At the crank it is 642HP and 614Torc. Other adders were ZL1 fuel pump, 72# injectors and dyno tune.

See below for all mods.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
LS9 cam and you get a nice bump but, won't tax the drive train (keep stock).

Headers are a plus.

I'd talk to ADM, GPI, or any sponsor here. Let them know your goals. They'll help you...

+1000 on Cam Motion

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #9
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
As someone else said, don't waste your time on shorty headers. Long tube headers are the way to go.

If you're going to go with a positive displacement supercharger like whipple then Brian Tooley Racing has a great positive displacement cam, their stage 3 is used by many shops for some excellent power gains.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #10
Bfh_american

Thanks for the info guys, I'm definitely going to reach out to some sponsors and shop around.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:41 AM   #11
Bfh_american

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
As someone else said, don't waste your time on shorty headers. Long tube headers are the way to go.

If you're going to go with a positive displacement supercharger like whipple then Brian Tooley Racing has a great positive displacement cam, their stage 3 is used by many shops for some excellent power gains.
Wouldn't stage 3 be a bit much? Stage 3's are harder on the engine? Not sure I'm definitely looking into long tubes now. Was looking at American racing since my buddy is sponsored by them, Any thoughts on them? As long as they don't effect my installed Catback Borla, I'm straight with Long Tubes.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:59 AM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfh_american View Post
Wouldn't stage 3 be a bit much? Stage 3's are harder on the engine? Not sure I'm definitely looking into long tubes now. Was looking at American racing since my buddy is sponsored by them, Any thoughts on them? As long as they don't effect my installed Catback Borla, I'm straight with Long Tubes.
ARH long tubes are the same long tubes used on the COPO Camaros, you'll be good off. The top 3 brands are ARH, Kooks, and Stainless Works.

As for the BTR stage 3 PD cam, it's a good cam and will yield you a lot of power. Believe it or not, it's actually a well mannered cam for being as big as it is. Ask your tuner for advice, they should steer you in the right direction.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:57 AM   #13
Bfh_american

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
ARH long tubes are the same long tubes used on the COPO Camaros, you'll be good off. The top 3 brands are ARH, Kooks, and Stainless Works.

As for the BTR stage 3 PD cam, it's a good cam and will yield you a lot of power. Believe it or not, it's actually a well mannered cam for being as big as it is. Ask your tuner for advice, they should steer you in the right direction.
Got ya! Yeah, just looked over. ARH look pretty nice to be honest. Work doesn't seem too crazy too. Direct fit, plus and play. Get some RWHP boost as well. Thanks
Old 03-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #14
Scott S
Scott S

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
lsa BLOWER

LSA is good choice. ADM is a great resource and available for questions if needed. I run the BTR Stage 3 PDS blower cam and love it.
769HP/699 Torque LS3 heads ported and polished with BTR Spring kit & Trunion upgrade, LSA supercharger ported by DC Porting, 102MM throttle Body, 2.40 pulley upper pulley, Innovators West 10% Overdrive lower, BTR Stage 3 PDS Blower Cam, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, SMG Flex Fuel kit, SMG Aux Fuel System, FIC 1000 Injectors, MGW Flat Stick Shifter, RPM Stage Vll Transmission, McLeod RXT clutch, ARH 1 7/8 Headers, 3" X-pipe with Borla S-Type mufflers, ZL1 3:23 rear diff and Axles, 1LE suspension. Bmr Bushings in back. TUNING AND SPECIAL ALIGNMENT BY CARL@Twincitiesperformance
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cam, headers, supercharger, tune, whipple