Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #1
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Spec Clutch?

Anyone here use a spec clutch? My current power is about 425tq at the wheels, so I was looking at a stage 3. The most I plan on doing in terms of making more power is the heads, no FI.

I tried looking around on the forum, but I couldnt find anyone's opinion on them.

I plan on getting a machine shop to cut my current flywheel (if it can be) and using spec's slave upgrade. I've never gone to an aftermarket clutch so I dont know what to expect in terms of leg feel... I do know that since we have a hydraulic, it shouldnt be that bad right?

My reason for the upgrade is because I am having a hard time from a dig with the stock clutch... just seems to burn it up when I try or suck the pedal to the floor, but every where I see, the best technique to the dig is to be around 4500-5000 rpm (power band) and to slip the clutch some.

I would appreciate some inputs. Budget is around a grand
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Spec is like 30 minutes from me.
If they offer a light pedal option buy it. Its rock hard without it. I've been in 2 with a Spec. Very hard pedal.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
Soybeanrice

Thanks bo. I think I'm going to get their stage 3 once in a month or so and see about that light pedal option.

Apparently I need to get their flywheel for it and I guess its a little lighter, but the overall package is 600 bucks so far so I'm happy
Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
Thanks bo. I think I'm going to get their stage 3 once in a month or so and see about that light pedal option.

Apparently I need to get their flywheel for it and I guess its a little lighter, but the overall package is 600 bucks so far so I'm happy
When you get it installed post up a review. I need a clutch as well and want to avoid the twin disc clutches. Too expensive

Currently deciding between a Spec Stage 2/2+ or Mantic ER2
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
Soybeanrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
When you get it installed post up a review. I need a clutch as well and want to avoid the twin disc clutches. Too expensive

Currently deciding between a Spec Stage 2/2+ or Mantic ER2
Sure thing. Its gonna be about a month before I order. Had some tire issues pop up and take some funding away. I considered the Stage 2/2+ before my phone call with SPEC.

I even mentioned about slipping the clutch some for our launches and was told the Stage 3 can be slipped a little bit. Of course theres a difference between burning at redline and slipping at optimal launch rpm.

I'll include the costs of everything too. So far looking at 650 for a flywheel, clutch kit, and light pedal option. You need a flywheel with their clutch kits unless you buy the "stock kit" which costs the same as if you bought their normal one with their flywheel. Staying steel with the flywheel too, but I believe its a couple pounds lighter.

I'll install within the week of getting it probably
Old 01-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
Sure thing. Its gonna be about a month before I order. Had some tire issues pop up and take some funding away. I considered the Stage 2/2+ before my phone call with SPEC.

I even mentioned about slipping the clutch some for our launches and was told the Stage 3 can be slipped a little bit. Of course theres a difference between burning at redline and slipping at optimal launch rpm.

I'll include the costs of everything too. So far looking at 650 for a flywheel, clutch kit, and light pedal option. You need a flywheel with their clutch kits unless you buy the "stock kit" which costs the same as if you bought their normal one with their flywheel. Staying steel with the flywheel too, but I believe its a couple pounds lighter.

I'll install within the week of getting it probably
Tick Performance recommended the 2/2+ clutch to me but I will wait for your review to see how it goes with the 3. Is your car a DD or track/weekend car?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #7
Soybeanrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Tick Performance recommended the 2/2+ clutch to me but I will wait for your review to see how it goes with the 3. Is your car a DD or track/weekend car?
DD, but I bring it to both the strip and roadcourse. I dont mind DD'ing it even if its a little less comfortable. Gives me motivation to get a real DD haha
Old 01-31-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
I have a 3+ with about 5k HARD miles on it with a cam full bolt ons and 20" drag radials. So far so good. It's supposed to handle around 900 ft/lbs of torque so I'll let you know how it does on nitrous this year when it warms up. Broke my passenger side axle last year with it at the track so I'm assuming it's doing it's job.

Pedal feel is a little stiffer than stock, but I guess it is user preference whether you can deal with it or not. I DD mine in the spring through summer and it wasn't a big deal for me.

I've got to pull my trans due to a loud screeching sound (thinking it's either the pilot or throwout bearing) soon. I'll let you know if it still looks good then.

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
dino2012ls3

Drives: 2012 ls3
Thanks for your input I'm currently saving for the 3+. You were on your drag radials when it snapped.
dino2012ls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #10
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2012ls3 View Post
Thanks for your input I'm currently saving for the 3+. You were on your drag radials when it snapped.
No problem. Yep I was on drag radials. Dumped the clutch at 5k and the car didn't move 1cm. I bought the whole clutch kit too.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:05 PM   #11
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I've done that. Car didn't even trip the prestage bulbs lol. I thought it jumped out of gear at first.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
Js2fst
2010 transformer

Drives: 2010 ss camaro
Fingers on pressure plate fail. Way overrated on hp rating
2010 transformer, vertical doors, 315nt05 rears, pedders supercar coilovers, hotchkis sway bars, links, adjustable, toe bars, bmr poly cradle bushings, 1le control arms, bmr tunnel brace, bmr subframe connectors. Cam 227/239-623-620@114 Mast medium bore heads, sw 1 7/8 headers, cat delete, x pipe, 3" dynomax true duals, fuel rails, fast 102 intake and NW 102 throttle body, catch can, rotofab cai, shifter, raptor custom shift light. Dss drive shaft, 3.91 gears. 492 rwhp
Js2fst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #13
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
I've done that. Car didn't even trip the prestage bulbs lol. I thought it jumped out of gear at first.
Lol yeah that's what happened to me. Shortly after I had to get the "push of shame" off of the track

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #14
Marlon1LS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS w/L99/TR6060
I'm currently running Spec stage 2. Full package. Flywheel, PP, disk. I'm loving the feel. Definitely a stiffer pedal, but not unbearable. And having a short through it's even more awesome. Loving this motorswap, not regretting one bit of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marlon1LS is offline   Reply With Quote