Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #43
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
GM's been doing the same thing over and over building the perception of value at a higher price then surprising us all with even higher value at a lower price. Examples; ZL1 was guessed to be high $60K's to $70K's, the C7 guessed at over $60K base...
True, but theyre still testing the car out. Not to mention, still a yr before this car comes out and with finding ways to eliminate weight; the more weight it loses, the more the price will go UP! If they use ANY carbon fiber body parts, the price will really soar.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #44
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
They just MIGHT be able to pull this off at $59,900 which would be pretty awesome if they can do it. I know a C7 with Z51 and NPP exhaust is over $58k but that also has a full Bose sound system and A/C. The Z/28 won't have those but it does have the very expensive tires which the C7 doesn't. If those just offset each other cost-wise there's a chance they can bring the Z/28 in at $59,900. Destination charges would have to be extra but for marketing purposes $59,900 would be very attractive to track guys.

I wonder if they're using a 1-piece driveshaft? They haven't said anything about clutch yet either have they? It's going to be interesting to see what kind of rwhp this thing is going to have.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #45
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
I posted over a year ago that the Z/28 will have the 427 small block if it comes out as a 5th gen..... and all I got was trashed by everyone saying no way, ever. I believe the Z/28 will be in the $50,000+ range and just about everyone says no way. I hope I am right again!!! Then I'd be able to afford one. $60k and over, no way will I buy one and my '69 really does need a stable mate.
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #46
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
I posted over a year ago that the Z/28 will have the 427 small block if it comes out as a 5th gen..... and all I got was trashed by everyone saying no way, ever. I believe the Z/28 will be in the $50,000+ range and just about everyone says no way. I hope I am right again!!! Then I'd be able to afford one. $60k and over, no way will I buy one and my '69 really does need a stable mate.
I think a year ago everybody was in pretty much agreement with the 427 sbc motor for the Z/28. I went back and checked your posts and didn't see anybody flaming you for it, actually had 2cndchance agree with you on having the 427 motor for the Z/28.

Quote:
I agree with Calbert1999.....and the fact that the LS7 is more in keeping with the 1st gen's high reving 302.
Quote:
I fully agree!

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #47
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
GM's been doing the same thing over and over building the perception of value at a higher price then surprising us all with even higher value at a lower price. Examples; ZL1 was guessed to be high $60K's to $70K's, the C7 guessed at over $60K base...
I think the difference is that GM cared how many C7s and ZL1s it sold and did some stuff to keep cost in check. The Z/28 is so utterly uncompromising that I don't think GM cares whether it sells 10 or 1000. The tires, the brakes, the engine, the bodywork, the glass, etc., all that stuff is specific to the Z/28. It adds up if you can't share any of the R&D costs with other cars in the lineup. That's why I think it'll end up being $70-80K, unless GM plans to take a loss on every Z/28 it sells...
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #48
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
I think the difference is that GM cared how many C7s and ZL1s it sold and did some stuff to keep cost in check. The Z/28 is so utterly uncompromising that I don't think GM cares whether it sells 10 or 1000. The tires, the brakes, the engine, the bodywork, the glass, etc., all that stuff is specific to the Z/28. It adds up if you can't share any of the R&D costs with other cars in the lineup. That's why I think it'll end up being $70-80K, unless GM plans to take a loss on every Z/28 it sells...
They're not going to trash their whole business model of higher value vehicles by offering the Z/28 at a very high price. Yes they have to cover cost, but they'll still want to sell Z/28's. It's already bringing them a TON of attention (even among "never" before considered rival vehicles customers) just as we new it would. It's also made Ford's engineering look inept (read Boss/Boss LS).
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #49
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:

I think somebody beat you to that (just a few pages to review)...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149090
Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #50
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon@USWforged.com View Post
I think the MSRP is going to be reasonable for the Z28 but am quite certain that dealerships will mark them up substantially just as they have done with the introduction of a new model. It is for this reason that I typically wait a year or so when purchasing the Camaro model I want. Not to mention that refinements are usually forth coming during this time. Given the number of Camaro's that have been sold, there should not be many refinements.

I would not be shocked one bit if my local dealer has a 15-20K markup on the car.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #51
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

why do people continue to buy cars with HUGE markups??????????????????????
Old 05-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #52
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I would not be shocked one bit if my local dealer has a 15-20K markup on the car.
Quote:
Oh you can believe they're going to try, and for some there will be that idiot who's used to spending $100k+ who'll gladly pay $75k-$80k because to him it's "cheap" by comparison.

Most people don't know how to buy a car; never buy from a salesman. Go straight to the finance guy or the owner if he/she's there. The salesman is going to waste your time trying to mark up as much as possible; will spend 15 mins working up a ridiculous finance plan and come back with a "monthly" payment circled. When you multiply out that "monthly" payment he's acting like is such a deal by the number of months of the loan (usually 60), you'll find you're spending $90k for a $60k car.

He's going back and forth (supposedly) to the finance manager and wasting half your day with all this nonsense. In actuality he's probably going back and forth with the assistant or actual sales manager; not the finance manager. He may actually be just sitting in an office somewhere in the back "sweating" you because that's a well-known tactic. If you're tired and have been there awhile (which is why they drag things out so long) you're much more likely to just "go along" with what they want in order to just get the car and get out of there. DON'T FALL FOR THAT!!!

If you cut out the middle-man (salesman/sales manager) and go straight to either the finance manager or dealership owner, you have a much better chance of simply buying the car at MSRP without all the mark-up crappola. And if those guys start the mark-up nonsense then find another dealer.

They may tell you "I'll call one of my sales guys" but stop him/her. Say "They don't want to sell me a car, they just want to play games. I don't have all day. I just want to pay the MSRP without all the mark-up and nonsense. Do you want to make a sale?" Don't let them put you back in the salesman/sales manager loop UNLESS they've agreed to start the paperwork at MSRP.

READ THE FINAL PAPERWORK CAREFULLY and make SURE they haven't slipped something else back in there, such as an alarm system, or some other "extra" you didn't ask for, didn't tell them to put on there, and DO NOT WANT. They'll act all shocked and surprised and say it can't be removed or whatever but you just tell them you're not paying for that and this is EXACTLY the kind of games you told them up front you weren't going to play. STICK TO YOUR GUNS and make them either remove it, give it to you without extra charge, or walk and find someplace else.

You'll be amazed at how quickly "can't be done" can change once they've typed up all the paperwork and were expecting you to sign but instead you stand up to walk out because they tried to pull a fast one.

Get your financing FIRST before you go in (or pay cash) so you have the leverage of telling them "if you want to sell a car today, I'll pay MSRP without any extras or mark-ups and I'll buy it right now. If you don't want to sell a car today, just start giving me the run-around and I'll walk right out the door to one of your competitors who does want to sell a car."

I don't pay mark-ups; never have, never will.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #53
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
this car is going to cost a lot more then you guy think, and it will be out in less time then 1 year, (not by much ) i say in time you will see.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #54

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
You would think buying the car at MSRP would be a HUGE enough mark-up by itself....lol.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #55
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
You would think buying the car at MSRP would be a HUGE enough mark-up by itself....lol.
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #56
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Bc some people have to be the first to have something,
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote