Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #15
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
Don't worry about all the issues. Some people on this forum are more picky than others !
Yeah, how dare some people get mad about bows breaking and water filling up floors and holes and tops literally popping out and......meh, I'll just quote myself;

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulllett View Post
Let's try to put this to bed.......again.

As has been said on here, many, many, many times, the problems haven't been in the problem itself (as in the tops being defective), the problems have been in the way they were addressed by the dealerships AND GM (for those that don't know, you can kick back a couple of years and see the start of the answers that were given to those that had problems. I won't go through all that here).

But the good news is, it appears that GM has started to come around and NOT be blatantly argumentative with these problems and are starting to back off blaming the customer with the "normal" comments. Is it because a lot of us who had problems continued to put pressure on? Possibly. Is it because many who have problems now also have information in hand to address the problems? Could be. We are now seeing a bit more often an actual conversation between customer and dealership about a strategy to address the problem. As opposed to a confrontation about it not even being a problem (or a problem caused by the customer)

But regardless of reasons, you now have information on these problems to base your decisions upon. Information is power and you need to decide if you can put up with these issues if you are one of the "lucky" ones that get them.

As far as the numbers of cars with problems; unless GM is willing to give out information and numbers, we'll never know the extent of the problem. Those that say it is very limited point to the people that have no problem. Those that say its extensive, point to the people that do have problems. Suffice it to say, that there is a known problem out there. The extent of which is unknown but it is there.

So deal the problems IF you get them, but in the mean time, enjoy.
I could go over the problems that were encountered, but I believe the OP may have already done his/her homework. Hence an informed decision. If they run into a problem, then they will have the information to deal with it. These posts on problems shouldn't be meant to scare you, as much as have an informed decision.

Honestly the arrogance and insensitivity that some on here have toward those that have had problems baffles me. That kind of thinking is like an attitude to somebody who {had something bad happen to them, that doesn't happen to a lot of people - I didn't like my choice of subject matter for the analogy so I edited it}; "well it hasn't happened to me, and it doesn't happen to a lot of people. So I don't see what those people are whining about".
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible

Thanks for the post Bulllett. I have been looking at this all day and biting my tongue not to respond. If some think 101 days out of service in less than 3 months on the road is a good thing, so be it and more power to them. By my count so far, by us helping others, over 20 people have received a buy back from the help we as previous problem owners have given them. Hence the reason we have been posting the issues. Not to scare anyone away, to help them be informed about what they possibly could encounter with their car and how to go about getting it fixed. Yes, sometimes we do bitch about it also. It is human to be pissed off when you spend 40 grand of your hard earned money on a fun car only to have it go to shit.
I took mine out for the first time in 6 months today. Permagrin ear to ear. Heck, she is in the garage now and I am still smiling.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
rubbersoul84

Drives: IO 2012 2SS/RS convertible
My 2012 has a 4/11 build date. I've had the top replaced once, but that's the only problem I've had. I love my car and am so glad we bought it!
rubbersoul84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #18
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlieremead View Post
I still have people today give my red jewel looks and comments. And I look at all kinds of other tops and they all have problems, one way or another. The Stang tops are vinyl, ours are a nice cloth which I preferred when I purchased the car.

I hope I didn't overload you with too many pics.
Beautiful chariot.

The V6 Mustang tops are vinyl. The V8 tops are cloth. (just FYI)
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
Bcarr

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulllett View Post
Yeah, how dare some people get mad about bows breaking and water filling up floors and holes and tops literally popping out and......meh, I'll just quote myself;

I could go over the problems that were encountered, but I believe the OP may have already done his/her homework. Hence an informed decision. If they run into a problem, then they will have the information to deal with it. These posts on problems shouldn't be meant to scare you, as much as have an informed decision.

Honestly the arrogance and insensitivity that some on here have toward those that have had problems baffles me. That kind of thinking is like an attitude to somebody who {had something bad happen to them, that doesn't happen to a lot of people - I didn't like my choice of subject matter for the analogy so I edited it}; "well it hasn't happened to me, and it doesn't happen to a lot of people. So I don't see what those people are whining about".
I'm sorry you had a problem but I'm tired of people that have had issues coming on this forum (and others) and acting as if all of these convertibles are bad. You had an issue and had it repaired. Get over it and move on.
Bcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #20
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr View Post
I'm sorry you had a problem but I'm tired of people that have had issues coming on this forum (and others) and acting as if all of these convertibles are bad. You had an issue and had it repaired. Get over it and move on.
Lol, baffles.

The "ostrich" strategy or the "I got mine" strategy just doesn't suit me. I'll continue to help others.

But thanks for the advice.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #21
Earthshaker6

Drives: 45th Anniversary HPE650
The funny part is not the fact that happy customers don't say anything but unhappy customers do...it is more that happy customers consolidate their responses into minimum post for easier reference...unhappy customers thread jack, start multiple threads, and continue to throw their horror stories out to make sure every Camaro owner hears them. This is their "Getting GM Back" method. As will all cars...there will be a few that have issues. I challenge anyone to go through the convertible forum without finding the same 3-5 names popping up bashing the convertible! Even on the happy convertible threads...there they are...the same 3-5 bashing the happy owners for not being mad with them! Over 16k miles in less than a year (before deploying) and had the top up and down more than a hooker...no issues. It could break the day I roll back into country and you know what? I would take it to the dealer, get it repaired, and enjoy the heck out of this thing!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #22
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthshaker6 View Post
The funny part is not the fact that happy customers don't say anything but unhappy customers do...it is more that happy customers consolidate their responses into minimum post for easier reference...unhappy customers thread jack, start multiple threads, and continue to throw their horror stories out to make sure every Camaro owner hears them. This is their "Getting GM Back" method. As will all cars...there will be a few that have issues. I challenge anyone to go through the convertible forum without finding the same 3-5 names popping up bashing the convertible! Even on the happy convertible threads...there they are...the same 3-5 bashing the happy owners for not being mad with them! Over 16k miles in less than a year (before deploying) and had the top up and down more than a hooker...no issues. It could break the day I roll back into country and you know what? I would take it to the dealer, get it repaired, and enjoy the heck out of this thing!!!

It's not just the convertible forum too. The same people in the "other" subforums do the same thing. Thank you for your service and being real about whiny forum babies

HPE 650 45th drop top? Is that a 1 of 1? One of my co-workers has a 45th drop top HPE600. He just did the 1LE 3.91 rear gear swap and
You've got one hell of a ride!
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #23
Earthshaker6

Drives: 45th Anniversary HPE650
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post

It's not just the convertible forum too. The same people in the "other" subforums do the same thing. Thank you for your service and being real about whiny forum babies

HPE 650 45th drop top? Is that a 1 of 1? One of my co-workers has a 45th drop top HPE600. He just did the 1LE 3.91 rear gear swap and
You've got one hell of a ride!
David

Thanks for all, I believe it is close to a 1 of 1 since this car had a total build number of 524...Hennessey does not do a lot of these packages each year...and she is getting painted 45th Anniversary stripes with ghost flames (in the gray portion of the stripes) starting 05 May. The paint will be done before I return home and take her to Camaros for Heroes in Fayetteville, NC!!! Trust me, your co-worker has a hell of a car also. I went with the 9" rear end package with 3.73 gears (as you know the rear end package includes one piece alluminum drive shaft and upgraded axles) I also have 6 signatures from GM reps from the fest last year...including FBodFather himself...and John Hennessey's signature across the brace over the engine. I will have her in Fayetteville and I am expected to make the Fest again! Hope to see you! Take care!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #24
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthshaker6 View Post
David

Thanks for all, I believe it is close to a 1 of 1 since this car had a total build number of 524...Hennessey does not do a lot of these packages each year...and she is getting painted 45th Anniversary stripes with ghost flames (in the gray portion of the stripes) starting 05 May. The paint will be done before I return home and take her to Camaros for Heroes in Fayetteville, NC!!! Trust me, your co-worker has a hell of a car also. I went with the 9" rear end package with 3.73 gears (as you know the rear end package includes one piece alluminum drive shaft and upgraded axles) I also have 6 signatures from GM reps from the fest last year...including FBodFather himself...and John Hennessey's signature across the brace over the engine. I will have her in Fayetteville and I am expected to make the Fest again! Hope to see you! Take care!
AWESOME! I can never make the fest cause I am a slave to the dealership...we are actually a Hennessey dealer and John and I are on a first name basis. Unfortunately I can't afford his signature(or packages) on my car!

The painted stripes sound like they are gonna be KILLER! def post up some pics when they are done. Your setup is sick
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #25
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Quote:
Guys,

I also bought the vert before reading through these forums. And I have had the 5th bow break and a new top. But I still love the car. I've had it 2 years now and it runs better (or as well) than new. I love it when the dealer writes 'alignment perfect' on the checks. And the car fits me well.

I still have people today give my red jewel looks and comments. And I look at all kinds of other tops and they all have problems, one way or another. The Stang tops are vinyl, ours are a nice cloth which I preferred when I purchased the car.

Love that color, your car is awesome, the desert background really sets it off! I had a choice of two IBM verts, one with tan top and beige leather or the black and I opted for the black as it is more subtle with the IBM. But your tan top really works!

Have admired your car on other posts, almost thought of trading in for your color on a 2013, but doing the trade-in math nixed that deal! Perhaps a 2015 Vette in that color....

Best regards,

Tony
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #26
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post

Very happy 2011 'vert owner here. Aside from the "wave" in the top, bilaterally and a loose-fitting brake reservoir cap which I had replaced under warranty last week, I've not had any problems of any kind, thus far. Very, very happy with my 2011 Camaro Convertible.
Same here, Baba. Born on 5/20/11, no problems except rear wind noise and Hurst emblem on shifter sticks out on pass. side. Oh and peeling tonneau vinyl. Heck, are those really problems? It's not like the sheriff's knocking on my door to take my house. Just worries me the top warranty runs out in a year and is prone to issues ...

Quote:

Nope. Sweet ride, beautiful color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
Beautiful chariot.

The V6 Mustang tops are vinyl. The V8 tops are cloth. (just FYI)
Thanks, Michael. Rented a V6 'stang vert a month ago, and was surprised to find the vinyl top - and no back window switches in the car. Maybe I'm just dyed in the wool GM (not a bad thing), but after that the car doesn't interest me. Also some controls blocked switches on the dash - like parts of the car's design were added later. There have been some Fords I like, though - early '70s LTD, late '80s Cougar/TBird & Taurus. Drove 'em all, imvho - decent in their day.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #27
ForrGump

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
I want to thank everyone's, either positive or negative response. I'm the type of person who likes as much info as possible and based on that I formulate my own opinion. And, as I learned after +24 years USCG service, opinions are like belly buttons....everyone has one!
Because of these forums I took my vert to the local dealer to establish a first time relationship. I had them check out the top...no problems so far, and to investigate a mystery noise under the vehicle around the exhaust. (As a side note I never heard the "rattle" noise...thank you US Government for dampening my hearing capability....my wife is the one who insisted that it was there.) Because of these forums I went in knowing there was a TSB issued concerning this noise. I never mentioned the TSB knowledge but waited for them to figure it out and they did.
I'll pick the car up today if the streets stay dry.
If there is an issue after that, I'll go back.
v/r,
FG
ForrGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #28
kdalters
Nittany Lion in Hogville

Drives: 2012 Camaro conv.
As a current Toyota owner, I know all about recalls, service bulletins and service problems. I worked at a Chrysler dealership in the 70's & 80's.... talk about poor quality control! I purchased a 2012 Camaro Conv. ex- rent-a-car with 13,000 miles on it. I expect problems to show up. No big deal to me. Cars are mass produced on an assembly line... there are going to be mistakes made during all aspects of manufacture, be it in design, engineerng, assembly,shipping......you get the point. I love my Camaro, inherent flaws and all. Kerry.
kdalters is offline   Reply With Quote