Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Fast enough

Drives: Striped
$2000 in hand but which one (help)

Hey everyone Im searchin the market for a better set up for my v6 camaro.
Im looking for something aggressive while gaining some performance as well.

I'm currently going for a full catback and LT headers

The company on my list is stainless works (retro catback and the SW LT hdr)

I was told that's a mean as it can get for the v6

My question is, it is really the best for the price ? And or the most "agressive"

Please let me know your input on this , I'm new to this site.
Let me know if you have a better solution or a better catback and header set up

Thanks in advanced
Fast enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
SW makes nice headers. I own them and am quite happy with them. there are some here that have gone with OBX. They do not have cats but they are like 3-400 bucks too. That would certainly leave some extra $ for other mods like CAI and possibly a full cat back exhaust. However with just those 2 mods SW LT headers and say a SOLO or Corsa full cat back, you'd be right around 2k.

Here is another alternative:

If you went with OBX LT's, you coulsd also get the following: Roto-Fab intake, Magnaflow or MRT mufflers and if installed yourself you'd be right around 1000 -1100 bucks. Another 400 for a tune, couple hundred for a Magnaflow resonated xpipe and 150 for a Vmax ported/polished throttle body and 150 for an RX catchcan/breather. I think you'd be just over 2k but you'd have some really sweet mods on your ride.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
This is a stupid question but what does a tune do an how do I go about getting it done ?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Fast enough

That's a interesting set up SIXJAK.
As for installing my self thats out of the question
Don't have the tools and time

And I'm just as curious as lim3 on his question.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
This is a stupid question but what does a tune do an how do I go about getting it done ?
The tune of the car is the computer code that is in the car's ECM. The information that tells the car what to do and when is all in the tune. It takes information (how hard and fast you are pressing on the pedal, the temp outside, the car temp, etc) and tells the engine how to set it's timing and other parameters so that it runs at peak.

Getting a custom tune changes how the computer changes the output, increasing performance.

Here's some more info in this blog post "Engine Tuning: Understanding the Basics".

As far as getting it done, it can happen in a few ways.
  • A handheld tuner like a Diablosport or hypertech programmer.
  • With laptop software like HPTuners.
  • (the best way) Through a custom tuner on an engine dyno, where changes can be measured and adjusted until peak performance gains are realized.

to the OP, the Stainless Works LT and exhaust are awesome.

Last edited by Apex Paul; 09-06-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Oh that's good to know that pual , also I was planning on getting the same SW catback and header as OP
Do you think sixjaks idea would be better ? I'm also looking for a more aggressive sound
Old 09-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Oh that's good to know that pual , also I was planning on getting the same SW catback and header as OP
Do you think sixjaks idea would be better ? I'm also looking for a more aggressive sound
You'd certainly get more for your money! It's about the same setup I have.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
Fast enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
You'd certainly get more for your money! It's about the same setup I have.

if its roughly the same set up , do you mind posting a vid of the sound ? it would be awesome if you can
Old 09-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #9
Fast enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
SW makes nice headers. I own them and am quite happy with them. there are some here that have gone with OBX. They do not have cats but they are like 3-400 bucks too. That would certainly leave some extra $ for other mods like CAI and possibly a full cat back exhaust. However with just those 2 mods SW LT headers and say a SOLO or Corsa full cat back, you'd be right around 2k.

Here is another alternative:

If you went with OBX LT's, you coulsd also get the following: Roto-Fab intake, Magnaflow or MRT mufflers and if installed yourself you'd be right around 1000 -1100 bucks. Another 400 for a tune, couple hundred for a Magnaflow resonated xpipe and 150 for a Vmax ported/polished throttle body and 150 for an RX catchcan/breather. I think you'd be just over 2k but you'd have some really sweet mods on your ride.

would you happen to have a vid of the sound of the set up or something that near what you sugested
Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
SIXJAK

Try this: This is forum member Oolie's setup. It's very similar to the set up I suggested. Sounds pretty good.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=255

For grins and giggles this is my set up. I bought my SW headers/HFC's for 300.00 bucks slightly used. Still I'm well above 2k.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159744

I invite you to peruse the exhaust sticky up top and put on a good set of headphones and edumucate yourself.

As for the tune, Apex Paul pretty much covered it. However for the LLT V6 the only game in town is Vince at Trifecta Tune. There's a whole thread on it here in the bolt on section.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Try this: This is forum member Oolie's setup. It's very similar to the set up I suggested. Sounds pretty good.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=255

For grins and giggles this is my set up. I bought my SW headers/HFC's for 300.00 bucks slightly used. Still I'm well above 2k.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159744

I invite you to peruse the exhaust sticky up top and put on a good set of headphones and edumucate yourself.

As for the tune, Apex Paul pretty much covered it. However for the LLT V6 the only game in town is Vince at Trifecta Tune. There's a whole thread on it here in the bolt on section.

Dang six I like the sound for sure.
Is it louder that the retro catback and header combo from Sw ?
Old 09-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
SIXJAK

I've never heard Oolie's set up live so I couldn't say. My set up is fairly chill just cruising around but at 1/2 throttle or more it turns heads and alarms and frightens ppl. I do have a hater in my hood who's infected with the jealousy bug so it's nice to have options whilst passing by his house.

Good luck with your mod decisisions. Take your time and use that exhaust sticky thread up top. That's a great resource. Also go to meets when you can and listen to other's setups and talk with them about what they like and don't like about their setups. Also you may be able to find some great deals in the member's classified section here on the forum and make that 2k stretch farther.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
TexasCamaro5
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
I have the Stainless Works 1-5/8" Long-tube Headers with High-Flow Cats (and Silver Ceramic coating) along with the Solo Mach X-LLT cat-back exhaust and I will say it does sound awesome, especially with a cold air intake and a cnc ported throttle body, it just screams American Muscle. I'll have to put together a post on my setup (it's similar to SixJak's). As far as cost on the exhaust I bought everything brand new, $895 for the Solo Mach X-LLT and ~$1591 for the SW long-tubes (although if you go to SW's website you can look at how their prices vary depending on how you want yours made) and I spent about $500 on installation so I've definitely spent on the higher end for an exhaust upgrade but I like the way my car sounds. I'll have to see what I'm getting as far as performance, along with some good video of it on the dyno once the shop I got the work done at is available to do so, they've been very busy, but the performance increase should be good. The great thing about Stainless Works is that you can either go with 1-5/8" or 1-3/4" on the primay tube size of the long-tubes where as BBK is only 1-5/8" and ARH is only 1-3/4", so it all depends on what you want in the end but I think what has been posted on here should give you some good direction.
TexasCamaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Great setup TexasCamaro...wow..so now we have another "SIXJAK" like setup. It was only a matter of time after he posted all of those great videos lol.