Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
You might tempt me into a ported throttle body myself! I've got a CAI already, with plans for headers and cut outs already.

How much was the TB?

And I love how your CAI is the SC version. Definitely vouches for your future plans. No going back!

Everything you're doing now is everything I would want to do, haha. Except for the tune, which would void my warranty. :(

I really can only do whats within my warranty and need to figure all that out, haha

When are you expecting your last parts? I can't wait to see these parts start going on!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
StentS

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary LS3
Throttle body was $150 plus a core charge. I understand about the warranty, but, like I told the salesman when I picked up the car that tried to sell me an extended warranty, don't bother, in a couple of months it will be so far from stock you are just wasting your breath. I have had such bad luck in the past with warranty work that was either denied or they couldn't duplicate the problem, that now I could care less about a jaded warranty. I want to play, so if it breaks, it's on my dime and I will just have to upgrade whatever breaks. See if it breaks, I can upgrade cause the ol lady will approve my purchases... method to my madness ....
The last parts will be here next week sometime. I already sent the stock tune out and that takes a few days to turn around so I am just waiting now. BTW, getting the stock tune uploaded from the car was a piece of cake
There will be plenty of install pics and maybe a few videos. I have plenty of time to do this. Being retired has some benefits....

Vince

StentS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Yeah my old man got the extended warranty cause he figured i wouldn't want to mod. Which he was wrong, haha

Also, something breaking is the best excuse to mod!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower View Post
Yeah my old man got the extended warranty cause he figured i wouldn't want to mod. Which he was wrong, haha

Also, something breaking is the best excuse to mod!
i believe you can cash the extended warranty in. i may be wrong though
Old 05-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #19
StentS

Yes you can get a pro-rated refund on the extended warranty....
Extra Mod Money

The Moroso catch can came today... Headers are scheduled for tomorrow and Ted Jannetty already sent me my custom tunes this morning for 91 and 93 octane and he wants me to data log because of the altitude and the CAi version I am using on the NA car. Won't be long now .... the big hold-up here is the cradle and differential bushings..

Vince

Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #20
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Sorry about this Vince. Keeping things on topic, do you personally think a ported TB would be worth it if my only other mods are CAI, headers, cutouts, and exhaust? No tune.

Oh and I see you have a tune for 91 and 93 octane. How easy will it be I switch between those? Seems like it'd be easy since you had no trouble getting the stock tune downloaded from the car.

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 06-29-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: .
hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #21
StentS

Don't worry about the trolls they are everywhere and don't have a clue. The ported throttle body usually gives about 12 rwtq and 8 rwhp without a tune. Every little bit helps.
Swapping tunes takes only a few minutes. 91 is all that is available here so i use that for daily use. The 93 tune is with an octane booster at the track. But I will make a few runs with both to see the difference.
I had a diablosport predator for my 4th gen. So this isnt the first time I have been using hand helds.
The mods you are looking at, especially the headers, are going to void the warranty. I realize the Magnuson act exists, but it's like fighting city hall....

Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #22
10spokess
Wild and Cammed

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
I can't wait to see these parts go on, car looks great from the pictures. How did you get it up on the ramps like that?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #23
StentS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
I can't wait to see these parts go on, car looks great from the pictures. How did you get it up on the ramps like that?
Thanks...

I bought a high lift floor jack (20" lift). The wheel cribs are 12". Took only a few minutes to put the car up there and it gives me plenty of room to work safely. I also bout 6 ton (24") jack stands for when I remove the cradle....

Vince

Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #24
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by StentS View Post
Don't worry about the trolls they are everywhere and don't have a clue. The ported throttle body usually gives about 12 rwtq and 8 rwhp without a tune. Every little bit helps.
Swapping tunes takes only a few minutes. 91 is all that is available here so i use that for daily use. The 93 tune is with an octane booster at the track. But I will make a few runs with both to see the difference.
I had a diablosport predator for my 4th gen. So this isnt the first time I have been using hand helds.
The mods you are looking at, especially the headers, are going to void the warranty. I realize the Magnuson act exists, but it's like fighting city hall....
Wow, I think I'll definitely look into a ported TB then! Seems worthwhile to me!

And yeah my mods will be a battle against warranty, but I'm hoping to keep them on the side of maintaining my warranty. I'm gonna try to get a dealer to give me their word on honoring my warranty even with the mods at hand. We'll see how that goes I guess, haha
Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #25
StentS

Headers and Catch Can

Today the Kooks ceramic coated headers and my catch can showed up. Just waiting on the BMR cradle bushings and differential bushings now. They are scheduled to be delivered Tuesday.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #26
CCbusa09

Drives: '06 Tacoma, '11 Durango, '12 SW 1SS
Those headers look SWEET!! The cats and 02 sensors will still be in place, right?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #27
StentS

The Party Has Started - Day One

Well guys I threw a mod party and nobody showed... But that's okay... I partied alone.... nothing new...
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #28
StentS

The Party Has Started - Day Two

Day one was about 6 hours work. Today I spent about the same amount of time. I didnt go into detail as I know there are a ton of DIY threads on this stuff....
Attached Images