Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #43
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
the sound is a moan that to me sort of sounds like metal on metal almost like a worn out brake pad grabbing the rotor
I've had this problem too and recently had the rear diff fluid changed to try and help. It helped a little but the sound is still there. I researched a few other threads and service techs have said it is normal with these rear end diffs on the camaro and I personally don't want to give my car to the dealer for some idiot to drive around for 60 miles so I think I'll just deal with it. My car is lowered too so I wonder if that amplified the problem because I didn't hear it before as much before I dropped the car (PFADT drop springs)

2012 ZL1 Coupe (M6) #80 (SOLD)

2007 Ducati 1098 (SOLD)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Track/Race Only )
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #44
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....pick your poison and do whatever, this rear end is as stout as any ever made by GM and then some beyond that. You can not hurt this rear axle assembly unless you attempt to increase rwhp exponentially in my opinion. It's bullet proof. Where are the critical reviews from reputable sources stating anything otherwise against it? There isn't. It's here I see it, and some are real issues, others are just lack of breakin in or use of the component to seat everything. This is not a take your lawn chair and sit and look at the car vehicle, and have no miles at the end of the day on it. IT has to be broken in , properly. It's a wild animal. It's like a Rawlings pro preferred leather baseball glove, it takes forever to break in, but when it does...it's golden.The car does makes many noises at times, and it varies between different times of operation, and operating systems. If you don't like noise, and you want't quiet,...buy a Caddy...or go Euro...

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 08-01-2013 at 09:35 PM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #45
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
....pick your poison and do whatever, this rear end is as stout as any ever made by GM and then some beyond that. You can not hurt this rear axle assembly unless you attempt to increase rwhp exponentially in my opinion. It's bullet proof. Where are the critical reviews from reputable sources stating anything otherwise against it? There isn't. It's here I see it, and some are real issues, others are just lack of breakin in or use of the component to seat everything. This is not a take your lawn chair and sit and look at the car vehicle, and have no miles at the end of the day on it. IT has to be broken in , properly. It's a wild animal. It's like a Rawlings pro preferred leather baseball glove, it takes forever to break in, but when it does...it's golden.The car does makes many noises at times, and it varies between different times of operation, and operating systems. If you don't like noise, and you want't quiet,...buy a Caddy...or go Euro...

Mines quiet except where it counts!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #46
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Mines quiet except where it counts!
...at times...when the stars all align it can be better than any Six Flags ride....best ride I ever had for sure. Can you imagine if there was another 1,000 RPM left on the big end before the fuel cuts off? That's my only complaint. Just when it really starts to get good it shuts down..., in other words it's easy to over rev and bounce.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #47
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
...at times...when the stars all align it can be better than any Six Flags ride....best ride I ever had for sure. Can you imagine if there was another 1,000 RPM left on the big end before the fuel cuts off? That's my only compaint. Just when it really starts to get good it shuts down..., in other words it's easy to over rev and bounce.
We went on a cruise this weekend on some great curvy and dip laden roads, the car was almost begging me to go faster, it was like let me loose! And no matter how much you push it, it just feels like come on and do it, I CAN TAKE IT!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #48
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
We went on a cruise this weekend on some great curvy and dip laden roads, the car was almost begging me to go faster, it was like let me loose! And no matter how much you push it, it just feels like come on and do it, I CAN TAKE IT!
I agree with that. Caveat emptor.....the bring it on syndrome is only in effect when the road temps, tire temps, are in summertime levels. The car will take turns at a degree and speed that was previously unfathomable. It took me some time to correct my mind to what the capabilities were of the car.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #49
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
I agree with that. Caveat emptor.....the bring it on syndrome is only in effect when the road temps, tire temps, are in summertime levels. The car will take turns at a degree and speed that was previously unfathomable. It took me some time to correct my mind to what the capabilities were of the car.
And luckily we have those conditions here most of the year!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #50
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
And luckily we have those conditions here most of the year!
Ain't the southwest great!
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #51
jsd

Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
Whistle/squeeze noise

I have some squeeze whistle noises from my car when i drive slow. I hear it til 35 mph. On the first miles i never heard it, now my z hav 8000 miles an its really disturbing. I hear it just with open windows.

Have somebody heard this also on his car?

The normal rear end noise i have to on my car. But it dont disturb me really.

I think its the diff or the gearbox. But i am not sure.

I am sure the whistle noise are not the brakes. When i heard it, i push the brakes and the noise still.

Thanks for help

I try to make a video today
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #52
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd View Post
I have some squeeze whistle noises from my car when i drive slow. I hear it til 35 mph. On the first miles i never heard it, now my z hav 8000 miles an its really disturbing. I hear it just with open windows.

Have somebody heard this also on his car?

The normal rear end noise i have to on my car. But it dont disturb me really.

I think its the diff or the gearbox. But i am not sure.

I am sure the whistle noise are not the brakes. When i heard it, i push the brakes and the noise still.

Thanks for help

I try to make a video today
I heard mine with the windows up, so maybe yours isn't that bad, it might be worth taking it to the dealer. They did the bulletin on mine but earlier they replaced the ring and pinion because the backlash was off. Its under warranty, have them check!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #53
dirtyharry

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6 #3662
ZL1 rear end howl solved

New member here, so don't flame me too bad.

First off, I have enjoyed the forum and gained lots of valuable information here. That being said, I have something to add to this thread.

At 5000 miles (while doing my second oil change), I decided to change the diff fluid. It wasn't making any noise, but I decided to do it anyway because the car is driven hard and it is an easy procedure.

I drained and refilled with Mobil 1 75/90LS gear oil. After 200 miles or so, I was getting a horrible howl around corners. After consulting with the treads on this forum, I drained that and put in Valvoline synthetic 75/90LS gear oil. Same issue. Back to the threads...

Basically, I wanted a synthetic fluid instead of GM stuff (probably overkill, I know).

So.... Here's what finally worked for me. Another member posted something about this and it worked instantly.

I drained out 2 oz of gear lube and put in 2oz of the GM friction modifier (half of the bottle). I figured if the lube already has some in it then this will probably work.

Problem solved. The whine at highway speeds when I let off the gas and coast in gear is almost non existent now as well.

Just wanted to share.

It might work with Mobil 1 LS gear oil too, but I wasn't going to throw away another $30 in lube trying...

Thanks for all of the good info on here and good luck.
dirtyharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #54
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyharry View Post
New member here, so don't flame me too bad.

First off, I have enjoyed the forum and gained lots of valuable information here. That being said, I have something to add to this thread.

At 5000 miles (while doing my second oil change), I decided to change the diff fluid. It wasn't making any noise, but I decided to do it anyway because the car is driven hard and it is an easy procedure.

I drained and refilled with Mobil 1 75/90LS gear oil. After 200 miles or so, I was getting a horrible howl around corners. After consulting with the treads on this forum, I drained that and put in Valvoline synthetic 75/90LS gear oil. Same issue. Back to the threads...

Basically, I wanted a synthetic fluid instead of GM stuff (probably overkill, I know).

So.... Here's what finally worked for me. Another member posted something about this and it worked instantly.

I drained out 2 oz of gear lube and put in 2oz of the GM friction modifier (half of the bottle). I figured if the lube already has some in it then this will probably work.

Problem solved. The whine at highway speeds when I let off the gas and coast in gear is almost non existent now as well.

Just wanted to share.

It might work with Mobil 1 LS gear oil too, but I wasn't going to throw away another $30 in lube trying...

Thanks for all of the good info on here and good luck.

Good info, thanks!
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote