Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Closed system ICeBox for trunk!

So I have 2 companies quoting me an Icebox thats similar to the ADM style that fits between the battery and bumper in the spare tire area. Both are same designed sealed closed loop. I will not be dumping ice into water that circulates through the intercooler and exchanger. Thanks to H E for the Advice on how bag ice or non distilled water can kill your intercooler system.

Just wonder what to gamble on... 40 foot of 1/2 inch coil or a 2 inch intercooler core thats about 8 to 10 inches long. gotta figure out what has the best surface area or what will cool the closed water circuit the best.

Don't be fooled that coil wire might not work.. I worked at a golf course for 20 years and way out in BFE there was no electricity on a few holes.. So we had a pit 2 foot all the way around with 50 feet of coil, we dumped a half trash can full of ice on it and it was plenty cool and the ice lasted for all day in 105 temps in the shade.

I will be installing the AFCO dual pass this weekend so I can post some pics.

I'm sure just by increasing the size from a 2 gal to 5 gal system and the tank for the water/coolant not being on a hot engine will help even when it doesn't have ice in it.

This should be a lot better don't have to worry about closing valves and draining tanks refilling ect... no bilge pumps or ice in lines..
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Curious to how this will play out. Likely building one this winter as well.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:41 AM   #3
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Good luck, sorry I don't have anything right now but if you need any more tips give me a call .I'm going to have to take the time to make a proper ice box , maybe this winter.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I have an ADM trunk mount reservoir. I have been putting ice in the tank and running it through the supercharger since I got the larger reservoir. I must admit that I have had 2 different superchargers on the car since I got the large reservoir but I have not seen any adverse affect of running the ice through them. It makes sense that the minerals in the ice water have the potential to deposit inside the intercooler but no exchanger that separates the two reservoirs will provide near as much cooling capacity and lower IATs as well as pumping the ice cold water directly into the supercharger. If I had to periodically change an intercooler brick but had significant power gains due to lower temps, I would change the bricks every year or two. I also suspect that if I periodically run coolant system flush chemicals through the system that are designed to remove these very deposits, this will keep the bricks working as good as new.

Heat turns out to be the limiting factor on gaining power from all of these PD superchargers. More supercharger cooling will make more power. To me it is a question of how much power do you want to make. I personally think racing with ice in the tank and then flushing it and adding distilled water and antifreeze for daily driving is fine. When I make my own ice I do use distilled water but I use more ice than I can make for some racing venues. Unless you are getting really crappy ice I don't think it is that big of a deal. Just my opinion.... and I have run a lot of bags of ice through my car.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I have an ADM trunk mount reservoir. I have been putting ice in the tank and running it through the supercharger since I got the larger reservoir. I must admit that I have had 2 different superchargers on the car since I got the large reservoir but I have not seen any adverse affect of running the ice through them. It makes sense that the minerals in the ice water have the potential to deposit inside the intercooler but no exchanger that separates the two reservoirs will provide near as much cooling capacity and lower IATs as well as pumping the ice cold water directly into the supercharger. If I had to periodically change an intercooler brick but had significant power gains due to lower temps, I would change the bricks every year or two. I also suspect that if I periodically run coolant system flush chemicals through the system that are designed to remove these very deposits, this will keep the bricks working as good as new.

Heat turns out to be the limiting factor on gaining power from all of these PD superchargers. More supercharger cooling will make more power. To me it is a question of how much power do you want to make. I personally think racing with ice in the tank and then flushing it and adding distilled water and antifreeze for daily driving is fine. When I make my own ice I do use distilled water but I use more ice than I can make for some racing venues. Unless you are getting really crappy ice I don't think it is that big of a deal. Just my opinion.... and I have run a lot of bags of ice through my car.
Shame on you! You should no better , I've talked to you about this lol.I guess I'll have to make a tank now to show you. .I Rember when u didn't believe in my tb fix either lol.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
Shame on you! You should no better , I've talked to you about this lol.I guess I'll have to make a tank now to show you. .I Rember when u didn't believe in my tb fix either lol.
Sorry Thomas.... I just never have had any trouble with running ice. Now the throttle body....that gave me fits. Thanks again. If I still had a supercharger on the car I would keep pouring in the ice but for now I'm a turbo guy...

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
ya, The closed system makes more sense and is less headache. Closing valves and draining, worrying about minerals in the system. I barely have time as it is.

Did have another thought maybe 2 layers in closed loop. self contained dry Ice around the box that contains the ice to cool the intercooler or coil. That would make the ice go further and do netter job then insulation.
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
ya, The closed system makes more sense and is less headache. Closing valves and draining, worrying about minerals in the system. I barely have time as it is.

Did have another thought maybe 2 layers in closed loop. self contained dry Ice around the box that contains the ice to cool the intercooler or coil. That would make the ice go further and do netter job then insulation.
If you use an exchanger inside the big reservoir, as long as the big reservoir is vented and non pressurized, you could dump the dry ice directly into the tank because it is an inert compound that does not react with anything, as it boils off it just turns into CO2 gas. This would be a very simple way to get a lot more cooling out of the system. You could put water, antifreeze, methanol, ice cubes, whatever you want in the tank and just pour in some dry ice on top of it, it will just bubble away as it cools.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:04 AM   #9
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
What's your tank idea Thomas? I'm all ears!
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:12 AM   #10
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
So I have 2 companies quoting me an Icebox thats similar to the ADM style that fits between the battery and bumper in the spare tire area. Both are same designed sealed closed loop. I will not be dumping ice into water that circulates through the intercooler and exchanger. Thanks to H E for the Advice on how bag ice or non distilled water can kill your intercooler system.

Just wonder what to gamble on... 40 foot of 1/2 inch coil or a 2 inch intercooler core thats about 8 to 10 inches long. gotta figure out what has the best surface area or what will cool the closed water circuit the best.

Don't be fooled that coil wire might not work.. I worked at a golf course for 20 years and way out in BFE there was no electricity on a few holes.. So we had a pit 2 foot all the way around with 50 feet of coil, we dumped a half trash can full of ice on it and it was plenty cool and the ice lasted for all day in 105 temps in the shade.

I will be installing the AFCO dual pass this weekend so I can post some pics.

I'm sure just by increasing the size from a 2 gal to 5 gal system and the tank for the water/coolant not being on a hot engine will help even when it doesn't have ice in it.

This should be a lot better don't have to worry about closing valves and draining tanks refilling ect... no bilge pumps or ice in lines..
If you get it figured out... I'd be interested in the system! Sounds like the best of everything.
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote