Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
gone-south

Drives: abm 2LT
paint chip problems

seems alot of us are having problems with the paint chipping. i went to a local chevy dealer and they told me the same thing they told some of you.(that i'm the only one that they know of that has this problem and it's not a warranty issue) so i'm starting this thread to see if the problem is as big as i think it is. so i ask that you look at your camaro's (front facia, rocker panels and in front of the rear wheels) and if you have excessive chipping to please make a note of it here. also if you went to the dealer about it please let us know of your experience and what the dealer said about it. we are spending alot of money on our cars and i dont feel this is right. we need to make this right and there is strength in numbers.......
gone-south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Silver ice SS

Drives: Silver ice Metallic 2SS/RS
I've had my SS for almost a month now, and I have a few rock chips already. I wonder how they are gonna rectify this problem....
Silver ice SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
camaroincarolina

Drives: 1SS Aqua Blue Metallic
I have quite a few, too. I do have 15k miles on her though and she has been on several road trips. I just bought road wrap for the trip to the fest in a few weeks. They say that helps.
camaroincarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
i've got a few on my front end and near the side gills...

best thing to do is just get a paint repair kit and fix it yourself.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
shishworm

Drives: 2010 ABM RS 2LT
Is anyone else having stripe and paint problems... I have 2lt/ RS ...aqua blue... with silver/ gray stripes (factory) and I had a piece go missing...after 4 sets of stripes being put on my car...the dealer wants to paint them on..... Is anyone else having problems with application of stripes...??? Mine are wrinkling now....from the application process....

Paint- I know that there is another thread about this...but mine has chips in front of the rear tires...on top of the fender...:(:(

Any other people with the aqua blue having the same issues?? and what is your dealer saying?

Shishworm

TEAM: Together everyone achieves more.

www.cowpattynation.com

www.epaenduros.com
shishworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
if they want to paint them on for free, then let them!

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
hollycamss

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro SS
paint chipping on ground effects kit

I just wanted to know if anyone who has the ground effect kit on their car and it's been painted, is having problems with the paint chipping off. I have the ground effects kit on my camaro and the paint is chipping off on both sides at the top rear of it. We took it back to the dealership and they said that it wasn't an issue with the paint. GM knows about this problems due to it being brought to their attention numerous times, but are refusing to do anything about it.
hollycamss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
dealers are not going to admit there is a problem.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
OBX Guy
OBX GUY

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow SS
have not been to the dealer yet...but yes do have some paint chip in places like everyone else...nothing big...just small chips. This shouldn't be happening....mine is not driven every day.
OBX Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Guys, as an automotive painter I see this chipping problem every week. The way I determine if there is an adheasion problem is based on the average size of the chip and the # of chips.

Opinion #1. Rocks will chip your paint. If someone shot your car with a Daisy BB gun you would expect it to chip. A stone coming from the tire in front of you is traveling at one speed and this is compounded by your forward speed. The force is enough to chip the paint esp on vertical surfaces.

Opinion #2. If the chips are very small on average that is what I would expect to see. If they are large on average say 7mm or greater I would be concerned. This would apply for on road use.

Opinion#3 Every car with any miles on it will get stone chips. I can always tell a tailgater by the # of chips. (my girlfriend is a perfect example) Get a bottle of touch up and stay on top of it.

I would like to see macro photos with a ruler in mm next to the chip from those complaining. Also, take a piece of 3m auto masking tape and place it over your biggest chip, press it down hard then rip it off. If it pulls more paint from around the chip (on more than one) you have a real problem.
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
We have two other family cars: An '06 Impala- 60,000 miles, and a '03 Toyota 4/Runner- 89,000 miles. Neither one has any chips !. This new camaro definately has an paint adheason problem. It makes no difference what color Camaro you have. It's somewhere in the metal prep, primer, sealer process in my opinion. GM will never do anything about it even if every Camaro owner complained. It would cost them millions.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
9SevenSS

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS M6 RJT!!!
I'm having the same issues. Paint scratches like a cat was dancing in front of the mail slot on my SS. Also, chips (10 or more) on each side where the gills are. Various scratches elsewhere (like A pillars) and it just gets worse looking at it after ever wash.

Told the service dept about paint issues when I brought it in about 2 weeks after delivery last november, and they said paint issues were not covered under warranty without even looking at the car. I'm researching now to see what we can do, because I think we all agree this isn't cool...

9SevenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
Texhawk

Drives: 69Camaro,87IROC,96 SS,Z06&Stingray
My question would be, is the Camaro the only GM car that uses this paint process? I suspect most chips are just due to the design of the car on the sides, and following too close for front end damage.
Be glad you don't have an $85,000 Z06 and are still getting chips on the rocker panels and in front of the rear wheels.
If you drive the cars, you are going to get some rock damage.

If you want to eliminate most chips, have the car covered with 3M protective film on the sides and front end. I have seen this on a lot of Corvettes and Vipers, but you have to do it when the car rolls off the hauler.
http://www.clearmask.com/3M-films.php
Texhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 GT500
I get crazy chips and tail gating is the one thing I dont do. I definately think there is a paint problem. Reminds me of the old Silverado paint problem where all the paint pretty much fell off the primer. Im going to wager that down the road they determine there is a problem with the paint, because Ive driven a lot of new cars and dont recall it ever being this bad.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote