Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #57
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
AS an FYI...... I can think of several cases where a vette owner has "hammered" his car and had....well.... catastrophic failure.

5 yr /100,000 warranty - unless you were at the dragstrip
Old 12-03-2009, 07:01 AM   #58
bad2bone
I am 18 y/o again!

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to bad2bone
Thanks

Great job Dragoneyes on follow up and the posting of the response. Fellow SS owners...we bought a factory, performance sports car. We did not purchase a top fuel dragster. The reply states their is a low probablility, that under "factory specs", we won't break it, also states that under "factory specs" if we do, GM will repair. If you drop $$$ on one part of a car, the other parts will surely be effected. Drop 1000 hp and see how long it takes to tear something up... There is an old saying, "if you wanna play, you need to pay". Modify and have fun with our cars, but don't whine and complain if you break something, can you see John Force crying about warranty? LOL
Old 12-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #59
Rizzo

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL-1 SIM
I have logged almost 11k miles on my 2SS/RS M6 and have not had any issues outside of the iPod setting issues. Even in this case, GM has been very responsive on this forum and is working through the issue.

This is my first Chevy product ever and I am very satisfied with the quality of work they have but into the Camaro.

I love this car!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #60
Redline Motorsports

Drives: Several...
Basically what all this means is;

Go drive your car!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #61
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
"under normal driving conditions" I just would like to know GM'S definition of normal.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #62
Blue Bunny

Drives: 2010 ABM RS #8763
Send a message via AIM to Blue Bunny
Safety Factors

Good discussion on this topic! Just had to add my 2 cents worth that the biggest safety factor with any vehicle is the IQ of the person behind the wheel!

I've worked on an ambulance for years and sometimes the stupidity that kills people and demolishes beautiful cars just makes me want to cry!

"Gene Roddenberry once said that the real mission of the Enterprise was to search for intelligent life on the other side of the television set."
William Shatner
Up Till Now
Old 12-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #63
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
GM is doing exactly what they should do, keeping an eye out for possible problems and they will certainly honor our warranty on a stock drivetrain. That is reasonable and I have complete confidence in my car and my favorite car company.

Thanks for the update and get out there and enjoy your Camaros!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #64
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Nothing was explained and I'm sorry, this was more a statement from a politician than anything else. Dragoneye, I'm sorry man, did you gather any earth-shattering information from what Fitzpatrick spoke of? I'm not trying to be malicious or confrontational. Hell, it doesn't even apply to me with 2700 miles on my car and no shaft problems. I feel for those that it does involve but he really should not have made a statement unless he was prepared to technically address what the problem(s) are. Plus this insults the intelligence and hard work put in by that C5 member that had his own solution PROPOSED to GM about the output shaft problem. What's worse is that he released the statement to C5 directly and didn't think to consider how many people knew more about the issue than he does! Members here know more about their cars than the GM brass and that is NOT a good thing!

I almost got the impression that they are aware of the problem, not looking for a resolution and instead of researching the issue, they find it more cost effective to wait until output shafts break and then just repair them on a case by case basis. If it is cheaper, I guess it makes sense, but at least say so, but as you guys have stated earlier, this line of thinking is going to get people killed before they focus more on the problem before it has a chance to claim lives.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #65
paulyd04

Drives: 12 Silverado XCAB Z71 APP PKG
yea and just keep in mind that when the techs plug your car in to repair it, they can monitor your driving habits and see if you are abusing it...

I had a shifter break on my 2000 ws6 and they got a little edgy with me when they told me I had some very "hard" accelerations in the last 100 or so miles. I still got it covered, but keep in mind they can find out how your driving your car.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #66
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
My first thought after reading John's message was - you made this determination in July and you report the results to us in December? Then again, if no problem was found to exist, why report anything ever, especially if owner concern dies down...as the front caliper wheel weights issue did?

If I had an LS3 I wouldn't be worried. My respect for GM and it's execs continues to grow!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #67
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
5 yr /100,000 warranty - unless you were at the dragstrip
Is this GM's official stance? I think I recall fbod saying they'd fix em even if they were at a drag strip when it broke...
Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #68
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
"under normal driving conditions" I just would like to know GM'S definition of normal.
What is normal driving for a car with 426 horsepower? How does any manufacturer expect people to drive their hi performance cars? I know some people will abuse their cars but you should expect all that horsepower to be enjoyed responsibly.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #69
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Is this GM's official stance? I think I recall fbod saying they'd fix em even if they were at a drag strip when it broke...
I think the more relevant connection is that John said that even under harsh driving conditions, it didn't fail significantly more.

I'm guessing, my guess, that a stock car at the drags, driven properly will be warrantied.

A blown car at the drags.... probably not.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #70
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Thanks to all the members here for the thoughtful responses.

One small request. Don't fan this dying fire by getting in to degrading personal attacks. Please.

The issue is a dying one. lets not keep it on life support just we can take shots at eachother.

Safety Concerns:

All I can say is If you have some professional experience that gives you some insight as to why GM is wrong about the safety concerns than you can post them here otherwise let it be. I'm sorry but we are in a position to accept that GM would not act negligibly where our lives are at stake. Our continued rants on that topic are just as irresponsible, as GM ignoring it. Which I can't believe they have.

The breakage will be fixed and it's no more life threatening than a toasted clutch or running out of gas at an inopportune time.

Please don't use this as a bully pulpit for safety claims. Further posts on that subject will be deleted and those members will be given infractions.

Now as with anything, if there is a legitimate new development we will always allow you to readdress any old issue. But not until then.

Closed Thread