Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #239
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit1le View Post
Nooooo dtc 30. 70 front 60. Rear.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #240
JusticePete

Did some one say brake ducts?

Up next.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #241
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
What is the reason for grabbing the warmer turbulate air and disrupting aero on the edges of the front fascia versus grabbing the cooler air in the lower grille area?
Old 10-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #242
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
What is the reason for grabbing the warmer turbulate air and disrupting aero on the edges of the front fascia versus grabbing the cooler air in the lower grille area?
What makes you think there is a substantial difference in the temperatures relative to the cooling coefficient and volume of flow?
Old 10-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #243
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
What makes you think there is a substantial difference in the temperatures relative to the cooling coefficient and volume of flow?
I don't have to think, it comes from GM test data. My position places me in the VEC and proving grounds on occasions. A large majority of engineers here I grew up with, raced with and have beers with. It's the beauty of growing up as an enthusiast in the Motor City. We speak in codes and if/thens to preserve our respected positions in the industry.

There is a cause effect with every modification. What may "work" may also disrupted something else that only the OEM must consider and has the ability to do so with a wind tunnel or 100s of hours of testing. I have always gone against the grain and app auld those that do so as well.......but you can't argue test data with a hunch.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #244
JusticePete

My position places me in a similar situation. It is my great pleasure to know and work with OE engineers as well as professionals in the racing industry. I never argue with data. Data is my friend. How we use data makes us different or products made would be identical. I am confident in our products. That is why my products are all sold with a money back guarantee.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #245
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Even GM engineers are not perfect... But what Matt proposed sounds plausible to me.
Anyway if one of them (or you) can figure out how I can keep my cold air scoop's efficiency and also have sufficient cool air directed towards the front brakes on the driver's side, I'd be one happy dude. That is my challenge with the brake duct project at the moment.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #246
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
Even GM engineers are not perfect... But what Matt proposed sounds plausible to me.
Anyway if one of them (or you) can figure out how I can keep my cold air scoop's efficiency and also have sufficient cool air directed towards the front brakes on the driver's side, I'd be one happy dude. That is my challenge with the brake duct project at the moment.
The original location for the brake ducting in lower grill area is perfect for the job. Unless you intend to use it for something else (like oil cooler perhaps?), there's no reason to go elsewhere. That area in the lower grille is also not part of the air that goes to radiators, so you have no impact there, either.

That said, I could imagine a benefit for using the fog light locations if you have ZL1 or a BBK which could survive with less flow, and create ducting around that unused lower grille area, directing it to the radiator stack. I did something similar on my Miata, and it ended up being my single most effective cooling mod ever.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #247
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
My position places me in a similar situation. It is my great pleasure to know and work with OE engineers as well as professionals in the racing industry. I never argue with data. Data is my friend. How we use data makes us different or products made would be identical. I am confident in our products. That is why my products are all sold with a money back guarantee.
If you have seen the same data, why would you place the ducts in that area?
Old 10-24-2015, 10:26 PM   #248
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
If you have seen the same data, why would you place the ducts in that area?
GM, particularly the Camaro TEAM, have strict guidelines in place regarding intellectual property. IF a GM engineer were to mention something about a GM project to me, it would certainly not appear on Camaro5. It is my understanding that disclosing such information could cost an engineer their job. I will not comment or reply to your post or posts by anyone that cover any form of information from GM not in the public domain. Just as I choose how to handle my professional relationships, you are free to to leverage your working relationships in any way you see fit.

What I can say, is that cooling has been an issue with the 5th Gen on track. I am at a bit of a loss, knowing some of the people involved in the special 5th Gen Camaro builds and having read about the extensive track testing that has been done, a problem exists. These guys live and breathe high performance on GM's time and on their own.

Camaros that I have been involved with since 2009 have performed at a higher level than the factory high performance models and have not had the same cooling or heat soak issues. I do not claim to be smarter than the people at GM nor can my little company bring comparable resources to solving problems. However, as a small independent company, we are not constrained by committee, restricted by bean counters or government regulations. That freedom allows us to do things they are not able to in a production environment.

As I said before, my products come with a money back guarantee. I'll let the market decide from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
These ACS have been around for years and work reasonably well.

These Quantum ducts do as well.

JPSS 2014 - 2015

Add our new ducts to the mix and you have a number of options. Which do I think would be best, do you really need to ask?

Last edited by JusticePete; 10-24-2015 at 10:45 PM. Reason: added a comma for clarity
Old 10-24-2015, 10:58 PM   #249
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Is that a brake duct in the middle of the picture, between the radiator on the right and an additional cooler on the left? This is a 2016 SS
Attached Images

AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:02 PM   #250
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
Is that a brake duct in the middle of the picture, between the radiator on the right and an additional cooler on the left? This is a 2016 SS
I think it is. I was just on your FB page and saw this.

They ran the front fascia out, created a lip to capture more air, to the outside of the mini grille. Damn, looks familiar.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #251
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
They ran the front fascia out, created a lip to capture more air, to the outside of the mini grille. Damn, looks familiar.
Yep

The mini side grilles direct air to the outside edge of the wheel well just in front of the front tire (I also posted a picture of this) to help push around the wheel well and reduce drag.
Attached Images

AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:09 PM   #252
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
Yep

The mini side grilles direct air to the outside edge of the wheel well just in front of the front tire (I also posted a picture of this) to help push around the wheel well and reduce drag.
I can take credit for 305s on the Z/28, but TEAM Camaro beat me to the duct design

Tags
brake, ducts