Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #1
MotownBoy

Drives: 2017 2SS Stick Hyper Blue
Sticks going way of Dinosours

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/owner...YFp?li=BBnb7Kz
MotownBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
good. I enjoy not having to get in front of my car and manually crank my motor over as well.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
jlcustomz

Drives: 83 el camaro
good points, but some things still have their place. When my LS starter unexpectedly died last year at a show, a slight push from a couple of guys in their 60's & dump the clutch saved me a tow truck call.

Also still hard to beat the feel & sound of a good engine with loud exhaust decelerating with a stick.

Extends brake life also.
jlcustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
2015 1LE SS

Drives: 2017 2SS
I've never owned an auto and don't plan on ever owning an auto. For context I'm 21, most of my friends have no clue how to drive standard, i feel like any car enthusiast should be able to appreciate a manual transmission. I really hope it never goes away but i got a bad feeling.
2015 1LE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015 1LE SS View Post
I've never owned an auto and don't plan on ever owning an auto. For context I'm 21, most of my friends have no clue how to drive standard, i feel like any car enthusiast should be able to appreciate a manual transmission. I really hope it never goes away but i got a bad feeling.
A whole 21 years old!!! Woo boy, that's a full long life there!!

My next car will probably be an auto, some times it's a pain to shift all the time.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I'm 39, been driving nothing but stick since I was 20. I'll never own an automatic. Simple as that.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015 1LE SS View Post
Ha haaaaa, unless your self driving car has a robot doing the shifting you won't ever notice. And more than likely in YOUR lifetime electrons will be doing the work for you not an ICE.

You're awesome in your defiance, but since you've got a solid 50 or 60 years to go and maybe more, your plans will likely change if not get changed for you.

Ever is a longggg time

Simply because machines continue to get better, faster and more integrated you will come down to "I simply enjoy rowing the gears instead of being the fastest. Pretty fast is good enough for me". I have that discussion with guys at work all the time. "It's just more fun". But it's just not as fast anymore, particularly if you are a novice.

And, simply my opinion, a DCT is the best of both worlds. A machine shifted manual transmission, lightning fast up and down. And i'll bet even those are surpassed as we try to get every last bit of FE and performance from future cars.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #8
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
As for me I would rather be more engaged in driving with the manual.

If we take the idea of that article and extrapolate not too far into the future, you will also not be needed need to drive the Camaro. Then, why buy a Camaro at all? The automatic is just one step in that direction.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #9
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I will drive a stick as long as my legs allow me to. I swapped a 4 speed into my Chevelle. Every car I have owned since has been a stick. I don't care how much faster autos can be, I am not a professional driver and simply enjoy the feel of driving a manual.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
Josh The People

Drives: TT 10' SS -> 16' SS
27 years old, both my 5th and 6th gen camaros have been auto, way better imho and also because its more of a luxury car for me personaly. Tho i do choose stick for my older sunday drivers lol
Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I like the last paragraph. Manual is the best theft deterrent going !!

And part of the reason I will never ever valet my manual cars. I would walk a mile first!

I've driven manual cars since I was 15 and the vast majority of my daily drivers and hot rod / sports cars have had them. I hate autos with a passion. Almost as much as electric and self stock driving cars. I am happy manuals will depreciate - have no issue driving older cars if they stop making good manual cars. My favorite car of the 40+ I've owned and current daily driver is a 2003 M5. They sold 10K in the US over 4 model years and all were manual. Market prices are going through the roof and I would not sell mine for pretty much any price. So there is some evidence there is still a small group of car nuts out there that likes to be completely involved in the driving process. I am part of that group.
My SS is a manual. I wouldn't have it any other way.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #12
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
My last 2 cars were manual and so is my Camaro but I drive my auto truck mostly!

all the cars were weekend toys.

I will eventually end up auto I don't know when but I will shift for as long as I can just a great way of being more involved as a enthusiast! I have nothing against autos there faster now at one time it was the other way around. How times have evolved are great for the auto world they have came a long way!
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #13
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016SS View Post
My last 2 cars were manual and so is my Camaro but I drive my auto truck mostly!

all the cars were weekend toys.

I will eventually end up auto I don't know when but I will shift for as long as I can just a great way of being more involved as a enthusiast! I have nothing against autos there faster now at one time it was the other way around. How times have evolved are great for the auto world they have came a long way!
Depends what you mean by faster. Auto won't be faster around a road course.
Auto have been faster drag racing for a long time. I ran a 63 impala for awhile set up for drag racing that ran 11.8@116-118 with a 3 speed auto and 4K stall converter. I doubt a manual would have run as quickly - especially the 1.7 sec 60' time.

But I have been more into corners for a long time. And there is no substitute for the control of a manual with a clutch. In my book anyway.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #14
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
People who knock manuals for every reason you can think of don't get it: it's FUN!

More fun than flipping paddles or taping a shift knob. And modern automatics are only negligibly faster or as fast as manuals: in the case of the Camaro SS a couple of tenths of a second. That means absolutely nothing to me when the car is stupid fast as it is. Only when drag racing will the difference count, and again that's so little one little hiccup and the manual driver could still win.

Don't tell manual drivers what to think. You'll only piss us off because you simply don't get it.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote