Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 03-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #71
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGreg View Post
That's funny because the very thing that kept me from getting the GTO back in the day was how plain I thought it was. I really wanted to like it and it had a nice V8 but it looked like a freaking Cavalier! It had skinny tires, a lame stereo, and no drop top or even a sunroof option. Tacking on the fake nostrils in '05 only made it worse IMO. I ended up getting an '04 Cobra Vert instead.

In contrast, my "plain jane" V6 2LT RS Camaro vert looks like a supermodel in comparison to the fugly GTO (no offense). And the technology and features of my "plain jane" V6 Camaro make the GTO look like something Fred Flinstone would drive. Also, my 323 hp "plain jane" V6 Camaro (when equipped with the 20" RS wheel option) has the same 155 mph governed top speed as the GTO And speaking of "watering the brand down", the dissapointing sales of the GTO helped contribute to killing off the entire Pontiac brand which really sucked!

Also, only one version of the vette? I seem to remember many different versions including Verts, Grand Sports, Z06, ZR1, etc. But you're right there was only one version of the modern GTO, too bad it was so bland.
I'm with you I can't imagine Pontiac thought that was a worthy follow up to the wonderful GTO's of old which I loved as a young guy. It just looks like a big Cavalier to me.... But to each their own. Its no wonder GM went bankrupt with some of their early 2000's designs which includes the Gen 4 Camaro as well IMHO.

I do like the Pontiac G8 though so I'll give them that one. And the sales for the 5th Gen Camaro in all flavours shows that a great looking car will sell well. Which of course it did....
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #72
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
6cyl Camaro,Challenger & Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
Camaro, Challenger and Mustang wouldn't survive if they were all V8's. They need the V6 (and now turbo 4-cylinders) for volume.

Sure the GTO was only LS1/LS2 but how did that work out? It couldn't make it long enough to see Pontiac's death in 2009
GM,Mopar & Ford,need these 6cyl cars to meet Government
mandated guidlines for fleet average MPG.
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #73
marktvilbert

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible RS 2LT
The 13 is very nice

Just bought this one after an extensive search for the best value. Really love this vehicle
Attached Images

marktvilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #74
05Goat

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGreg View Post
That's funny because the very thing that kept me from getting the GTO back in the day was how plain I thought it was. I really wanted to like it and it had a nice V8 but it looked like a freaking Cavalier! It had skinny tires, a lame stereo, and no drop top or even a sunroof option. Tacking on the fake nostrils in '05 only made it worse IMO. I ended up getting an '04 Cobra Vert instead.

In contrast, my "plain jane" V6 2LT RS Camaro vert looks like a supermodel in comparison to the fugly GTO (no offense). And the technology and features of my "plain jane" V6 Camaro make the GTO look like something Fred Flinstone would drive. Also, my 323 hp "plain jane" V6 Camaro (when equipped with the 20" RS wheel option) has the same 155 mph governed top speed as the GTO And speaking of "watering the brand down", the dissapointing sales of the GTO helped contribute to killing off the entire Pontiac brand which really sucked!

Also, only one version of the vette? I seem to remember many different versions including Verts, Grand Sports, Z06, ZR1, etc. But you're right there was only one version of the modern GTO, too bad it was so bland.
I get what your saying, I hated the GTO also.. But your specifically talking about the 04, and most didn't like the plain looks of it,including myself... The 05 & 06 looks like a different car. They are better in every way..
05Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #75
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
No sunroof was exactly what kept me from it too. I wanted one to replace my WS6, but ended up going to Corvette

Curious how you came down from a Terminator to a V6 Camaro??

I think he was trying to refer to all Vettes being 8-cylinders
LOL, yeah I know, right? I tend to change convertibles about every 2 or 3 years - I traded it in for an '06 Mustang GT vert because I really liked the new retro body style. I also had an old 1970 Mercury Cougar vert (never should have sold it!), a Toyota MR2 Spyder, and a Jeep Wrangler soft top during the intervening years before ending up with my '14 Camaro. My 323 hp V6 Camaro is obviously much slower than my old Terminator vert but it feels about as fast as my '97 Z28 did with 285 hp. Of the 10 convertibles I've owned, I'd say my '14 Camaro is overall my absolute favorite one. Main reason I got the 5th gen Camaro is I LOVE the retro styling - I'm getting older now so I don't really mind having the V6, plus I've gotten into sport bikes now so pretty much all cars feel slow to me at this point
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #76
05Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyestick View Post
While I enjoyed the GTO for the duration I had it, I haven’t looked back since getting my Camaro.

The GTO, at 12yrs old, was starting to show it’s age. I loved the ‘sleeper’ aspect of the car, and the leather interior. (Although it was of a cheaper leather, it was still nicer than some of chunky, cheesy plastic interiors of cars 2006+)

I missed the creature comforts. The auto dimming mirrors, Bluetooth, and a interior that I don’t have to worry about the seams splitting on the upholstery.
My 1LE was a 1-owner, certified preowned vehicle. Still has a bumper-bumper warranty.

Need to replace some parts on your Camaro? No problem. Extremely plentiful, and people aren’t gouging prices unlike GTO parts.

Parts for the GTO are getting harder to find, and good luck trying to fit a wider tire on the rear, unless you wanted to roll the fenders.

What about that key fob that’s the size of a dinner plate, but only works 2 feet from the car? I’m being generous on the 2ft distance as well. Need to replace that battery on the fob? You have to replace the entire key fob. Sure, you could split the key fob, and solder the battery, but no thanks.

I mean, yeah, I could go on, and on, but I won’t.

It was a nice ride, I enjoyed it, but it was time to move on.
Did you have any mods done to your GTO?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #77
c0r3yr0s3

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
Tintcoat trooper was right. I can stream music via Bluetooth in my pre mylink.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
c0r3yr0s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #78
GatorGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Goat View Post
I get what your saying, I hated the GTO also.. But your specifically talking about the 04, and most didn't like the plain looks of it,including myself... The 05 & 06 looks like a different car. They are better in every way..
I test drove the '04 and eventually the '05 also - I really loved the big power jump with the LS2 for '05 but I still didn't care for the looks of it although I suppose it was a bit better than the '04 - however the lack of a vert or sunroof is what really killed it for me - I gots to have the wind in my hair and sunshine on my face - LOL
Old 03-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #79
05Goat

I had a convertible Corvette and it didn't do much for me. I prefer a hard top. I don't miss a sunroof or t-tops either with the Goat. I think the Goat is the single best sports car I've had. I've had many. Until the 1LE I want? :P
Old 03-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #80
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
SSPanther and mbesman.. Love your cars..

Panther do you take yours thru the car wash or no?
Thanks...and No I don't go through car washes. I hand wash every week. The vinyl wouldn't survive in today's car washes. I like hand washing personally. I know every nook and cranny of the car and attack any issues in the paint when I see it. These cars are notorious for bad paint jobs. Very thin from factory. Vinyl not hard to upkeep. I do nothing special to it and it still looks as good as the day I put it on. I live in FLorida too.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #81
05Goat

I hand washed my Corvette, only because its a convertible. But I just ran all my other cars thru the car wash.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #82
GatorGreg

Quote:
I had a convertible Corvette and it didn't do much for me. I prefer a hard top. I don't miss a sunroof or t-tops either with the Goat. I think the Goat is the single best sports car I've had. I've had many. Until the 1LE I want? :P
LOL - I just noticed you're in Minnesota - yeah I can see how a vert might not be the optimum choice up there - probably about as useful as a box of condoms at a convent
Old 03-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #83
05Goat

Its fine in the summer, but all my cars got stored for the winter, which sucks. I was born in the wrong state. :(
Old 03-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #84
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Well speaking as a Canuck we only have Summer & Winter for seasons. On the plus side it does make you appreciate your car when you have to wait to get it back out but it still sucks at times too
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote