Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Advice Replacing Rear Deck 6x9 non BA

Is it worth the hassle and probably a couple days of bloody knuckles and sweat to replace the rear deck speakers? I've watched the You Tube videos and don't mind taking my time doing projects. Last Winter was replacing back seat foam and broken back spring in driver seat...never did upholstery before, turned out great. I'm considering the Rockford Fosgate 3way speaker from Crutchfield because they include the speaker mounting bracket. Has anyone used this bracket before? I've got RF in the doors and an RF powered sub so I'm content with the power just don't like those cheap paper dual cone factory speakers in the rear. Has anyone mounted the replacement speakers from the bottom before? Wouldn't this make more sense? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:32 PM   #2
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
No sure about the RF but I have replaced my rear speakers. It took me about 2 hours or so to get them replaced and everything back together. It isn’t that bad of a job.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Can’t be done from the bottom without cutting the metal. Really not to bad. The hard part for me was getting the rear deck plastic back in place with the new speakers. The speakers had a little higher clearance that the stock. I now have a small vibration in the plastic on certain songs. One day I will have a reason to go back in there are make it fit right.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
Lacpac

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the 6x9's and will plan to use some foam padding to hopefully eliminate and rattle. In our past Dodge Caliber I replaced the speakers which remarkably took 6x9's in each of the 4 doors. I replaced with more efficient 3way speakers and it was like I added an amp with 100% improvement in sound, ie. bass and mids and incredible high detail.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
You will be pleased. Well worth the trouble.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD DAB View Post
You will be pleased. Well worth the trouble.
Agreed, the BA is a terrible system.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #7
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
But I would not have went with 6x9s. I bought the adapters and went to round speakers. So much better than the outdated concept of 6x9 speakers.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:38 AM   #8
Lacpac

Update, installed mine the other day. Took a total of 6 hours start to finish, took my time, wasn't really that difficult, just hard to climb in and out of back seat 20x. Took the advice of a You Tube video and cut the factory speaker brackets off for the speaker wire connection. Bonus - found my prescription Ray Ban glasses under the back seat, been missing for 2 years! When taking back seat out I unbolted the assembly instead of trying use the seat clips... much faster.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:57 PM   #9
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
But I would not have went with 6x9s. I bought the adapters and went to round speakers. So much better than the outdated concept of 6x9 speakers.
Agreed, and adapters also stiffen the rear tray that typically will vibrate.
Attached Images

NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:02 PM   #10
ColtonsDad

Drives: 2011 LS Camaro
Yes, just did this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacpac View Post
Is it worth the hassle and probably a couple days of bloody knuckles and sweat to replace the rear deck speakers? I've watched the You Tube videos and don't mind taking my time doing projects. Last Winter was replacing back seat foam and broken back spring in driver seat...never did upholstery before, turned out great. I'm considering the Rockford Fosgate 3way speaker from Crutchfield because they include the speaker mounting bracket. Has anyone used this bracket before? I've got RF in the doors and an RF powered sub so I'm content with the power just don't like those cheap paper dual cone factory speakers in the rear. Has anyone mounted the replacement speakers from the bottom before? Wouldn't this make more sense? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Me and my sons (CamaroColton) just did this, in his 2011 and got everything from crutchfield. I went fosgates in the door, and mtx in the rear. The reason was price, crutchfield included the brackets for free and the connectors front and rear as well. Get the stinger roadkill, -we have zero vibrations, no rattle.. When we gutted the car, we took the time, to detail every piece of trim with McGuires plastic restorer. Cleaned the underside of eveything. I thought about dynamat, and not trying to break the bank on a first car. The only diff, was we went with 2 way speakers all the way around.
ColtonsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:58 AM   #11
Lacpac

Coltons Dad, yes, I went with Crutchfield as well. Nice brackets included. I added rubber weather stripping to the top and bottom of the brackets in case there was any vibration. So far so good. Rockford Fosgate all the way around including powered Sub in trunk.
Very pleased.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:02 AM   #12
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
Not when reflecting off glass... No matter what speaker you put in the
deck, the shape of the sound is changed as soon as it reflects off the
rear glass. Not to mention, tempered glass with the plastic lining. Doors?
yeah, wide open firing at tour ankles... DECK? Nope, the glass will also
cause decibel loss.

The argument is that a round speaker is more rigid than an oval one and so it
wont distort as easily. While that's true, a quality manufacturer can easily
make a plenty rigid oval cone that wont distort and you get plenty of clean
sound with the added cone area and low frequency response of a 6x9.
Factory speakers usually do not have a ridged cone, where as the BA ones
actually do.

Bottom line is, if you're wanting a really cheap speaker, then get the round
one. If you're willing to pay more for some speakers, get a quality made set
of 6x9's and enjoy.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote